• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2016

Ok, I wasn't going to do a glog this year. So many projects going on with the house, but part of that is a new garden plot. So, I guess this is the best way to document progress. I'm running a drip irrigation this year to free up my time for other things. Last year I discovered Aerogardening. I started plants late last year I the Aerogarden. They ended up producing and being just as big as my Feb. starts. Sold on hydro! This year I acquired another AG from a thrift shop for $5. I hacked it with a bigger pump and planning on a led hack as well. Next year I'm running a bigger scale hydro setup with my DIY Cob Led build. Anyways I'm on my 3rd batch of AG starts. I'm growing lots of GoatsWeed, Carolina Cayenne, Thai, Chi-Chien, Sadabahar, Chiltepin, Cayenne Long, Aji Pinapple, Genghis Khan Brain, Jay's Red, Srtsl x Bbg and there might be a couple of ones I forgot. Enough talk, here's some pics. More pics when it stops raining. 43 days from seed Aero Babies.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 137
Wow!

Your garden is in overdrive!

Good work Chuck! Everything in mine except for the peppers is rounding out the season, thank goodness, we need a break...LOL

stickman said:
+1 on #81! Your garden's growing fast Chuck... pods are a bonus!
Devv said:
Wow!

Your garden is in overdrive!

Good work Chuck! Everything in mine except for the peppers is rounding out the season, thank goodness, we need a break...LOL
Thanks Rick, Thanks Scott

The tomatoes and tomatillos are thriving. The peppers not so much. We will see if the take off in the next week. The Aji Pineapple's, planted the same time in containers, are doing great. The SIP's are doing good. Once the plants start taking in the organic fertilizer, I think things will change. Having a hard time keeping beds moist. Top 3 inches are good, past 3in it's on the dry side. Next year I need to add some top soil. Compost isn't cutting it.

What are your soil temps, or day-night temps? I know my peppers need 30 days after I stick the maters in the dirt, before they do anything at all. Potted seem to take off earlier. Next season I go back to 1' tall peppers at dirt day. I'd really like to say this year doesn't count...LOL cuz it's been quite dismal so far with a late start.

Devv said:
What are your soil temps, or day-night temps? I know my peppers need 30 days after I stick the maters in the dirt, before they do anything at all. Potted seem to take off earlier. Next season I go back to 1' tall peppers at dirt day. I'd really like to say this year doesn't count...LOL cuz it's been quite dismal so far with a late start.
Interesting Scott. It's starting to warm up a bit at night. Still around a 40 degree difference between day and night. I think, keeping them in containers longer, would be a good idea. My Super's are over a foot tall and still in 1 1/2 gallon pots. Going to pot up Monday. I'll see how they turn out.

Enjoy your weekend.

Yeah, I've been looking at your temps, such a high swing between night and day. We normally see 20°'s. Like now 75° in the morning and 95° in the afternoon. The 40° swing is only during a snap cold front. The key thing is the soil temps I imagine. Because the daytime temps are about the same March through April here.

Have a Happy Fathers Day!

Yeah, I've been looking at your temps, such a high swing between night and day. We normally see 20°'s. Like now 75° in the morning and 95° in the afternoon. The 40° swing is only during a snap cold front. The key thing is the soil temps I imagine. Because the daytime temps are about the same March through April here.

Have a Happy Fathers Day![/quote

Thanks Scott.

It hit 106 today. Almost lost 8 Thai's, 2 Cayenne's, and 4 Tepin's.

Another hot one tomorrow. Then upper 90's for the next couple weeks.

Great looking garden you've got going there!  Makes me wish I had more of a yard to work with.   :)

Noticed you had an aerogarden.  I picked one up over Christmas and have a few peppers going in it at the office.  Love how easy the thing is.    You use yours to get seeds started pre-season?   And you said never any problems transplanting from the aero into dirt?   I've been curious about how plants would deal with being 100% hydro to going into dirt.  My uninformed guess was that they'd have a hard time adjustment from the easy water life to having to work and seek out water/nutrients...  

Anyway, love the pics and looking forward to seeing how things shape up as the season goes!

hotjohn said:
Great looking garden you've got going there!  Makes me wish I had more of a yard to work with.   :)

Noticed you had an aerogarden.  I picked one up over Christmas and have a few peppers going in it at the office.  Love how easy the thing is.    You use yours to get seeds started pre-season?   And you said never any problems transplanting from the aero into dirt?   I've been curious about how plants would deal with being 100% hydro to going into dirt.  My uninformed guess was that they'd have a hard time adjustment from the easy water life to having to work and seek out water/nutrients...  

Anyway, love the pics and looking forward to seeing how things shape up as the season goes!
[
This year is the first year I had problems with going to dirt. That's because, I let the roots get bound. I've never had them go into any kind of shock, going from hydro to soil. I take my normal potting mix and add a 1/3 perlite, to make it aerated. I then drench it really good with water. No problems. Plenty of air and water. The transition really nice. I want to build a bigger system for next year's starts.

Thanks for stopping by.

D3monic said:
damn, and i'm complaining about 90's here. It's going to be a scorcher all summer.
Essegi said:
Wow, such a great garden and plants!
Thanks for stopping by.

The plants are doing pretty good. The ones in the ground are coming around. I'm amazed they're doing as good as they are. It's Virginia ground and not much organics in it. Clay.

Need to put some shar cloth out. I'm going to start losing blossoms like crazy, if I don't.
Can't afford mistakes with my season.

You guys stay cool out there.

Been way too hot this week and we're 10° cooler than you. I don't know about you but our humidity been really high making the heat index be just crazy.

I hope your plants are handling the heat, I'm now hitting them every day with a drink...guess this will be the norm until September.

Devv said:
Been way too hot this week and we're 10° cooler than you. I don't know about you but our humidity been really high making the heat index be just crazy.

I hope your plants are handling the heat, I'm now hitting them every day with a drink...guess this will be the norm until September.
We hit 108 yesterday. Humidity only 15%. Seen some showers a few miles to the west last night. Didn't make it here. Have the timer coming on morning and evening. Had some Thai's in containers, I moved them to complete shade yesterday. They still wilted. Got a breeze. It was like a blow dryer. Hot Summers and Cold Winters. Colorados high desert for ya.

Ozzy2001 said:
Chuck your garden looks great. The heat is definitely on. Supposed to be 100 here today. Can't wait to see the pods start rolling in. Keep it up :)

Thanks Scott.

It's extremely hot. Stay cool. Can't wait for podage myself. Going to have a bunch of Goats Weed and Aji Pineapple. Going to try and cross them both.

Plants for today are Tepin's and Thai. I have two different varieties of Tepin. Don't know what they are. Both came from two different greenhouse's. One of them has a ruffles with ridges look around the leaves. I'm thinking over-fert, or disease. Little Thai's are blooming like crazy. I think, I'll bonchi them in the Fall.

Chiltepin
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thai
image.jpeg

Morning garden shot
image.jpeg

Back