• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2016

Ok, I wasn't going to do a glog this year. So many projects going on with the house, but part of that is a new garden plot. So, I guess this is the best way to document progress. I'm running a drip irrigation this year to free up my time for other things. Last year I discovered Aerogardening. I started plants late last year I the Aerogarden. They ended up producing and being just as big as my Feb. starts. Sold on hydro! This year I acquired another AG from a thrift shop for $5. I hacked it with a bigger pump and planning on a led hack as well. Next year I'm running a bigger scale hydro setup with my DIY Cob Led build. Anyways I'm on my 3rd batch of AG starts. I'm growing lots of GoatsWeed, Carolina Cayenne, Thai, Chi-Chien, Sadabahar, Chiltepin, Cayenne Long, Aji Pinapple, Genghis Khan Brain, Jay's Red, Srtsl x Bbg and there might be a couple of ones I forgot. Enough talk, here's some pics. More pics when it stops raining. 43 days from seed Aero Babies.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 138
Looking good Chuck.  I guess one year I will have to break down and grow some tepins.  I grew some years ago, but need to give another shot.  I just can't grow more than a couple small fruited ones a year though.  Picking those tiny pods drives me crazy.  Usually have to save them for the end of a picking as they tend to put me in a foul mood if there is a lot of them to pull. 

Your latest shot of the garden shows me that all is well your way despite the challenges you're enduring!

All we can do is plant a bhut load and see what we come up with. I do it 100% organic, ma nature takes her share, good or bad. LB and I get the rest. ;)

Keep it green my friend!

Your grow looks great, Charles! Healthy and pots ready for
the ground - have fun getting everything in it's final place!
The in-ground plant rows look great.

Good luck going forward, buddy!

jcw10tc said:
Looking good Chuck.  I guess one year I will have to break down and grow some tepins.  I grew some years ago, but need to give another shot.  I just can't grow more than a couple small fruited ones a year though.  Picking those tiny pods drives me crazy.  Usually have to save them for the end of a picking as they tend to put me in a foul mood if there is a lot of them to pull.
Hey Justin, thanks! I love the Tepin. Yeah they are a pain to pick. I try and use them on a regular basis. At the end of the year, what I havent picked, I let dry on the plant. After the leaves have fallen, it makes it a bit easier for me to pick. They practically fall off.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I bet the tepins are loving that heat wave you guys have been having! Those are some very healthy looking plants you have there.
Thanks Dale. They are just now starting to adjust. I hope they do well. They are extremely long season for me.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Wow..you have been busy. Things look great. Hope for a fruitful year for youGreat setup also
Thanks Dennis. It has been busy. The goal is for it to get easier every year. I'm learning along the way. Some people are slower than others. LoL! Thanks for your help with the Aerogarden's. They've been a blessing. Absolutely love them. The AG 7, I hacked with a bigger pump from harbor freight. That puppy flows now. It out grew my Ultra, even with used bulbs. My next hack will be led's. Been learning a little DIY led project's. I want to dabble in DWC, Aeroponics, or something. I'll never part with the AG's. Thanks for cruzzing by.

Devv said:
Your latest shot of the garden shows me that all is well your way despite the challenges you're enduring!

All we can do is plant a bhut load and see what we come up with. I do it 100% organic, ma nature takes her share, good or bad. LB and I get the rest. ;)

Keep it green my friend!
Thanks a lot Scott. I water and feed when needed. The rest is out of my hands. I'm really happy with the results so far. As long as I can hold off the bugs and BER, I'll be happy.

PaulG said:
Your grow looks great, Charles! Healthy and pots ready for
the ground - have fun getting everything in it's final place!
The in-ground plant rows look great.
Good luck going forward, buddy!
Thanks Paul!

Things are up and down, with the heat. I think with the green house built, I'll have a better start next year. Hoping to eliminate the dreadful, hardening off process. I'll still start indoors, but will quickly move to natural light.

Thanks a lot Scott. I water and feed when needed. The rest is out of my hands. I'm really happy with the results so far. As long as I can hold off the bugs and BER, I'll be happy.

Remember Calmag for BER, 1 tsp per gallon of water. Applied using a watering can, soak the leaves, once or twice a week. Do this early before it gets hot. This really works, or I would lose 50% of the mater harvest. Peppers are not so picky here, but they get it too, as it doesn't hurt ;)

Devv said:
Remember Calmag for BER, 1 tsp per gallon of water. Applied using a watering can, soak the leaves, once or twice a week. Do this early before it gets hot. This really works, or I would lose 50% of the mater harvest. Peppers are not so picky here, but they get it too, as it doesn't hurt ;)
Will do Scott. I put a top dressing of organic fertilizer, that has a bunch of calcium. I think it's more of a slow release thing. I did put a cup of the stuff, in the hole when I planted. I'll mix a batch of cal/mag up tomorrow and feed. My peppers could use some as well.

My tomatillo's are doing good. I need to plant earlier tomatillo and tomato. I planted the Tomatillo and Aji Pineapple together, so they would shade the Aji's. It's starting to work. I kinda wish, I would have thrown a Aji between the tomatoes. I think the tomatoes would eventually, completely shade them out though.

tctenten said:
Plants look great Chuck. That was some crazy hot weather you had. Is that normal for you?
Thanks Terry. Yeah it's pretty normal. It stays in the 90's most of the Summer. When we get a heat wave it rises above 100. Hope we get some kind of overcast soon. The plants love it when they get a break.

You're getting great results Chuck! Your plants don't seem to mind the heat as long as they get enough water from the dripline. Be careful adding calcium to your soil if it's already alkaline... up the pH too much and you'll lock out other essential nutes. Foliar application of cal/mag might be better for your purposes.

I've been experimenting with a compost/biochar mixture in two of my raised beds and the results have been pretty astounding... the mix with the biochar definitely holds more water than straight compost. In your situation with claggy clay soil, adding biochar would lighten it like perlite or vermiculite to let in more air and water. You might want to look into it.   http://www.biochar-international.org/sites/default/files/IBI_Biochar_Application.pdf

Cheers!

az1000 said:
Great looking plants!
I wish to have such a nice garden!
Cheers!
Thanks az. It takes a lot of work.

I can't take all the credit.

It would be minimal, without the help from my friends on here.

Thanks for stopping by.

Thanks Rick. Trying to keep it simple. Don't want to over due it. Growing in my ground, is a lot different then my container grow, I'm used to. Things respond quicker in my containers. I think overall, I'll have better success in the ground.

Thanks for the advice Rick. Maybe I'll foliar feed tomorrow. Hurt my toe somehow yesterday. Could hardly walk.

That is a wealth of information. I've seen that biochar for sale I small bags for big price. I'll have to make my own. I see a lot of farmers burn the fields around here. Interesting.

Glad it's working for you. I'll be taking notes my friend.

Thanks again

Yeah im liking your outdoor setup.  What part of Colorado are you in? I lived in the springs for a little bit. Liked going up to Manitou Springs and Woodland Park. Wouldnt mind living in Castle Rock, or having a second home there. 

GhostPepperz said:
Yeah im liking your outdoor setup.  What part of Colorado are you in? I lived in the springs for a little bit. Liked going up to Manitou Springs and Woodland Park. Wouldnt mind living in Castle Rock, or having a second home there.
I'm on the western slope. Close to the Utah border. Haven't around Colorado Springs much. I like it better over here. It's to busy over there. I like the small towns. I'm originally from San Diego.

6/27/16

97/57f

Plants starting to pick up. Trying to document weather and growth. I'll see when the pattern changes. I wish I would have done this, the last couple glog's. Better late than never.

Tomatoes are setting. Tomatillo's are growing like weeds. Next year they will be the first in the ground, along with toms.

The dirt Aji Pineapples are bushin up.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpeg