• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2016

Ok, I wasn't going to do a glog this year. So many projects going on with the house, but part of that is a new garden plot. So, I guess this is the best way to document progress. I'm running a drip irrigation this year to free up my time for other things. Last year I discovered Aerogardening. I started plants late last year I the Aerogarden. They ended up producing and being just as big as my Feb. starts. Sold on hydro! This year I acquired another AG from a thrift shop for $5. I hacked it with a bigger pump and planning on a led hack as well. Next year I'm running a bigger scale hydro setup with my DIY Cob Led build. Anyways I'm on my 3rd batch of AG starts. I'm growing lots of GoatsWeed, Carolina Cayenne, Thai, Chi-Chien, Sadabahar, Chiltepin, Cayenne Long, Aji Pinapple, Genghis Khan Brain, Jay's Red, Srtsl x Bbg and there might be a couple of ones I forgot. Enough talk, here's some pics. More pics when it stops raining. 43 days from seed Aero Babies.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 138
Chuck!

Your garden is spectacular!

I'm sure you're now addicted to dirt ;)  It just gets better every year. And is more stable IMHO.

I added homemade biochar 4 or 5 years ago. Not only does it hold moisture better but it absorbs the nutes, just like a charcoal filtration system, and help with nutes leaching. Here's the plans I used:

http://www.devtex.net/images/kiln.pdf

I have a welder and torches, but if you don't have access, a 55gal drum and a 35gal drum work the same. Use 3/4" rods (2) to hold the 35gal drum as high as you can (inside the 55) and still cover the 55 drum. cut a door in bottom part of the 55 to use to feed wood. The idea is to cook the wood in the smaller container, and make sure it doesn't turn to ash. You have to watch it. I added 3 to 4"s in the upper 2,500 square feet of the garden.

And yes Calmag works much better as a foilar application, don't go with the soil added treatment. For me, it hasn't been nearly as effective.

Thanks Scott.

I've been quite lucky. Still 98% clay. I use a cup of gardentone in the hole, before transplanting. It does have 5% calcium.
Next year, I'll spread a layer the length of the row. The mulch seems to work great. I'll till it in, at the end of the season. I might get another load this year and process it, into smaller pieces. You think the mulch will hold nute's like the biochar?

Thanks for the link for the char. It sounds like my style of gardening. Love all the organics.

I'll make another compost tea, next week. I give each plant one cup. The cal mag is the only liquid nute, I'm using outdoors. I would use the gardentone indoors, but it smells pretty bad. Trying new things this year.

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
everything is looking great :onfire:

keep up the good work :)

:cheers:
G.I.P.
Thanks ! I'm trying. I hope to be able to make lots of goods this year.
Ozzy2001 said:
The tomatillos branch out soooo wide. It's crazy. I had to trim mine down last year.
Yeah, I'm thinking they are going to take over. I grew them one time before. The next year j had volunteers everywhere.
PaulG said:
Your garden just keeps looking better
And better, Charles!
Thanks Paul. I hope it continues. When the tomatoes are done, I'm going to finish the hoop house.

Thanks for stopping by.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Scott.

I've been quite lucky. Still 98% clay. I use a cup of gardentone in the hole, before transplanting. It does have 5% calcium.
Next year, I'll spread a layer the length of the row. The mulch seems to work great. I'll till it in, at the end of the season. I might get another load this year and process it, into smaller pieces. You think the mulch will hold nute's like the biochar?

Thanks for the link for the char. It sounds like my style of gardening. Love all the organics.

I'll make another compost tea, next week. I give each plant one cup. The cal mag is the only liquid nute, I'm using outdoors. I would use the gardentone indoors, but it smells pretty bad. Trying new things this year.
 The mulch when tilled in do two things, once they break down some. They become the nutes, and add to a positive soil tilth. So it's a win, win solution. If you have the time and the resources the biochar is great. I suggest reading up on "terra preta" that's what gave me the idea 5 or 6 years ago to get my little project going. Very interesting how they farm the same soil for 40 years without adding anything.

One can't judge by my pepper grow this year, a late start here in Texas is a doomed garden, but fall will show results. I just do some minor supplements with Hasto Gro nowadays, the soil is doing the rest. But it took quite some time, as it's a long term improvement process.

Keep experimenting, you have to find out what works for you, and what you need to do to supplement, until you reach the goal of the perfect soil. If that's ever possible...but you know what I mean ;)

Devv said:
The mulch when tilled in do two things, once they break down some. They become the nutes, and add to a positive soil tilth. So it's a win, win solution. If you have the time and the resources the biochar is great. I suggest reading up on "terra preta" that's what gave me the idea 5 or 6 years ago to get my little project going. Very interesting how they farm the same soil for 40 years without adding anything.

One can't judge by my pepper grow this year, a late start here in Texas is a doomed garden, but fall will show results. I just do some minor supplements with Hasto Gro nowadays, the soil is doing the rest. But it took quite some time, as it's a long term improvement process.

Keep experimenting, you have to find out what works for you, and what you need to do to supplement, until you reach the goal of the perfect soil. If that's ever possible...but you know what I mean ;)
Had to look up, "terra preta".

What a great read on Wikipedia. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_preta

image.jpeg

To the left, an oxisol poor in nutrients, typical of the Amazon basin; right, oxisol transformed into fertile terra preta.

Dont feel bad about the late start. I know your garden will prevail.

Thanks for the info.

Hey OCD, your plants are all looking fantastic! I really need to try the raised bed set up sometime in the near future, as well as hydro! I plan on doing one indoor hydro plant this yr as well. I will overwinter it. The soil brings in to many gnats anyhow and wifey wont like that lol. Its good to see that your plants are rolling, keep up the good work!

megahot said:
Hey OCD, your plants are all looking fantastic! I really need to try the raised bed set up sometime in the near future, as well as hydro! I plan on doing one indoor hydro plant this yr as well. I will overwinter it. The soil brings in to many gnats anyhow and wifey wont like that lol. Its good to see that your plants are rolling, keep up the good work!
Thanks Mega,

The raised beds need some more topsoil for water retention. I though it had enough, I was wrong. I need to water daily and I'm talking about gallons. I'll go dig some in the forest, before Winter. That stuff is gold.

Charles, these plants look great!  I'm a tad jealous
of the lush, healthy growth.  You should have a banner
year this season...

PaulG said:
Charles, these plants look great!  I'm a tad jealous
of the lush, healthy growth.  You should have a banner
year this season...
sicman said:
Dang homie. Looks fantastic. You coyld mountain bike through that jungle.
moruga welder said:
garden is looking GREAT !  hoping for a great grow for everyone !      :onfire:
Thanks y'all.

I need to finish my projects and clean up the back yard. Looking like a construction site. LoL

I'm going to get back to the hoop house soon. Need everything in place, so when the tomatoes are done, I can start building.

Hope your 4th of July is going great for you guys.

stickman said:
Great Success Chuck! Looks like you've got it pretty well dialed in and the plants have grown plenty of leaf canopy to support pod production. Go man, go! :party:
Thanks Rick!

I'm most definitely satisfied on the garden. The plants in the ground are catching up quick with my containers. I still like container gardening, but if the ground only gets better, that will change things drastically. My plan is to have the hoop house up as soon as the snow melts. Warm that ground up and started early.

Trident chilli said:
Chuck a lot of dedication has gone into your grow ... magnificent plants all looking really healthy
Thanks John. Glad to see ya. It did take a little bit of work, which I really enjoyed. Next year will definitely be better if I can get started earlier. Nothing like a little artificial season extension. Thanks for swinging by.

Back