• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Oktoberfest Throwdown Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
POTAWIE said:
Just for clarification, does the sausage meat have to be ground?

Yes, ground. How fine the grind is up to you.

texas blues said:
In the thread starter you say "ground meat". Is that limited to beef and or pork or may it include turkey, chix, fish etc.?

Salute',TB.

If I say protein it includes soy beans and non-meats, so not sure how to word it. Do you want it meat/fish, or protein?

LUCKYDOG said:
Im taking it as "anything that you can fit into a sausage casing" goes with beer and hot pepper throwdown

Pretty much.

Updated.

You can use any kind of casings. If you use non-edible that is fine. Some people may want to improvise and discard the casing, but a real sausage is cooked in a casing so let's keep it as classic as possible while welcoming innovation and experimentation with the ingredients, cooking, and presentation.

Yes, seafood is allowed. Meat or seafood!

thehotpepper.com said:
Updated.

You can use any kind of casings. If you use non-edible that is fine. Some people may want to improvise and discard the casing, but a real sausage is cooked in a casing so let's keep it as classic as possible while welcoming innovation and experimentation with the ingredients, cooking, and presentation.

Yes, seafood is allowed. Meat or seafood!

WOOT!

Got my Kitchenaide sausage stuffer ordered and on the way. Attaches right to the mixer.
Linguisa? Chorizo? Mexican or Spanish? Too many choices.

Salute', TB.

The standard rules were going to apply, but now that you bring it up... hmmmm... would be kinda cool if everyone put they're all into one meal! Agreed?

Yeah one entry sounds pretty good to me..

I franticly looking around for a good mincer/sausage maker. I can get a heap of cheap ones but you get what you pay for so if the smallest bit of stringy crap gets stuck in them, they stop working.....:rolleyes:

But the alternative is pretty expensive.....I guess i'll just keep looking, I just don't really know anything about them...

Done. This will be one entry only. Lets everyone perfect their one meal.

I'll go for those rules although traditionally not all sausage use casings, and not all sausage use ground meat. I guess I won't be making coppa this time around:)

here's a question......Does the sausage have to be on it's own as the main part of the meal with a side dish or can the sausage be cut up and used as an ingredient in a main meal???

I think your boss already answered that question:)
"This is not a ground meat competition, so the sausage must retain its classic shape, for the most part. Cutting into sections is allowed, but deconstructing to crumble on pizza is not. Let's make this all about sausage."

POTAWIE said:
I'll go for those rules although traditionally not all sausage use casings, and not all sausage use ground meat. I guess I won't be making coppa this time around:)

I know, these are specific to make it a closer competition. Be creative within the bounds of the traditional link.

moyboy said:
here's a question......Does the sausage have to be on it's own as the main part of the meal with a side dish or can the sausage be cut up and used as an ingredient in a main meal???

POTAWIE said:
I think your boss already answered that question:)
"This is not a ground meat competition, so the sausage must retain its classic shape, for the most part. Cutting into sections is allowed, but deconstructing to crumble on pizza is not. Let's make this all about sausage."

Thanks, someone reads :). Seriously though, the sausage can stand on its own or be part of a dish. It's up to you. You are creating a meal.

Canuck Pepperhead said:
I have a question...If I were to get involved in this If I make the mix can I go to my buddies butcher shop so he can stuff em into castings for me??

I don't know! What do y'all think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back