• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Oktoberfest Throwdown Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canuck Pepperhead said:
I have a question...If I were to get involved in this If I make the mix can I go to my buddies butcher shop so he can stuff em into castings for me??

Dude make the mix. Buy some casings. Then go to Home Despot, buy a 5/8" or 3/4" piece of PVC pipe about 6 " long. Then buy a 12" dowel that will fit the inside diameter of the pipe with just enough space to let air out as you use it as a plunger for ramming the meat into the food condom. Should work and is cheap. Then you've done it all yourself, no compromises, and the spirit of the Throwdown remains intact. We adapt. Improvise. Overcome. (You'll probably kick all our asses anyway)

Salute', TB.

Agreed. Heck if I do this I'll be improvising too. Funky sausage stuffer pics may = win... LOL. So bring the funk!

And I gave the funky stuffer idea away....10 days to go before the Throwdown and I already FAIL! And the fact that i failed before I'm 'sposed to FAIL is an additional FAIL!
Go ahead.... (TB gnashes teeth and cry's out to his GOD!)....reset the meter.

Salute',TB.

texas blues said:
And I gave the funky stuffer idea away....10 days to go before the Throwdown and I already FAIL! And the fact that i failed before I'm 'sposed to FAIL is an additional FAIL!

Salute',TB.

Meter adjustmant forthcoming however you really only deserve one point because you helped the other cats ;)

You can also try using a jerky gun, or the old fashion funnel and casing technique. I've also seen people rig a caulking gun with a metal pipe

texas blues said:

Salute',TB.

Novacastrian said:
Meter adjustmant forthcoming however you really only deserve one point because you helped the other cats ;)

Thou art truly merciful oh Grande Poobah!

Salute', TB.

I read this to find the next throwdown, & have a couple responces to some posts.

thehotpepper.com said:
The standard rules were going to apply, but now that you bring it up... hmmmm... would be kinda cool if everyone put they're all into one meal! Agreed?

really!? since when were the "rules" held true ? so far what I've seen theres been some bending of the rules from previous throwdowns.
& why is this throwdown anything special vs the others as for "bring their best in their 1 & only meal" ? like I said before..it should be 1 meal per person for the throwdowns.

Canuck Pepperhead said:
I have a question...If I were to get involved in this If I make the mix can I go to my buddies butcher shop so he can stuff em into castings for me??

I say go ahead & make them & have your friend stuff'em. join in the throwdown! BTW 1 rule listed on this page says you can remove the casing...so whatever!

chilliman said:
I think making @ HOME is a must, other wise we will have store bought ones. I think I will be useing a pipe bag .

come on, its only having someone stuffing his product into a casing! whats any different than any other throwdown that has taken place already ?
did you grate that cheese you used ?
did you chop up the garlic you used or did you buy the already minced garlic ?
did you make the dough that you used ?
did you slice the bacon that you used ?
did you make the pepperioni that you used?
let alone did you grow all of the ingredients that you've used ?
the list can go on & on

so whats the big deal about having someone having a friend put his recipe & work into a casing & then he cooks it.

chilehunter said:
I read this to find the next throwdown, & have a couple responces to some posts.

really!? since when were the "rules" held true ? so far what I've seen theres been some bending of the rules from previous throwdowns.
& why is this throwdown anything special vs the others as for "bring their best in their 1 & only meal" ? like I said before..it should be 1 meal per person for the throwdowns.
Yes, REALLY!

chilehunter said:
I say go ahead & make them & have your friend stuff'em. join in the throwdown! BTW 1 rule listed on this page says you can remove the casing...so whatever!

come on, its only having someone stuffing his product into a casing! whats any different than any other throwdown that has taken place already ?
did you grate that cheese you used ?
did you chop up the garlic you used or did you buy the already minced garlic ?
did you make the dough that you used ?
did you slice the bacon that you used ?
did you make the pepperioni that you used?
let alone did you grow all of the ingredients that you've used ?
the list can go on & on

so whats the big deal about having someone having a friend put his recipe & work into a casing & then he cooks it.
The rules are set. Follow or don't enter.

I agree with POTAWIE. I tried my hand at making sausages for the first time a few nights ago and it is very hard to get the amounts just right in the casing.

A butcher will do it perfectly as they are used to doing it day in and day out. We should have to do it ourselves as it is a very big part of the procedure.

I'm all excited about the throwdown now...:woohoo:

Just for the ones that do not have a machine the jerky gun that most Wal Mart have for about $5 have the sausage tool
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back