• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Oktoberfest Throwdown Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah I have one of those jerky guns and it would work just as well as the mincer with the attachment....The only thing will be trying to squeeze the gun and control the casing at the same time.....Shouldn't he to hard...

Hey, I've never stuffed a sausage before, this is new to me.

But...for others in my boat...I called Whole Foods, and asked for the butcher dept. I asked if they sell sausage casings. Carlos said "NO!", then I said "I JUST NEED THE CASING!", then carlos said "Hold on, aslflkj;lkjdlksajf (unintelligible foriegn language)", when he came back on the phone he said "sure buddy, I can give you some, just come on by".

I went to Whole Foods, spoke to Carlos, he hooked me up, free.
If you cant find casings, call your local Whole Foods or supermarket. They may be able to help.

Hehe...I got the hookup from a black ops off the reservation nosuchmeatmarket. Took mrs. blues with me even, which is a rarity. "geez louise Leslie! Don't tell the poor man your entire life story, just ask him for the casings for cryin' out loud!" That would be an exact quote.

Salute',TB.

POTAWIE said:
I think stuffing is the second hardest thing about making sausage, next to finding a great recipe.

kinda like making your own dough for a pizza or growing your own chiles for poppers. a casing is the least thing when it comes to a recipe & cooking method.

I'm not taking part in this throwdown, & not cuz of the casing deal, I said this cuz canuck wanted to take part in it.

chilehunter said:
kinda like making your own dough for a pizza or growing your own chiles for poppers. a casing is the least thing when it comes to a recipe & cooking method.

I'm not taking part in this throwdown, & not cuz of the casing deal, I said this cuz canuck wanted to take part in it.
You don't have to make your own casing, but this is sausage making, so you have to stuff it. That's not so much to ask for a sausage comp. We can't taste them online, the fun will be in seeing the stuffing pics, etc.

See you next time around. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing some funky stuffing :lol:

chilehunter said:

Its not just about the casing, its about making a homemade sausage
Making sausage is a lot of work and can involve: grinding, mixing, stuffing, curing, smoking, fermenting, emusifying, drying etc. If you just give your butcher some seasoning and recieve sausages, I don't think it can be called home-made.
I guess you could use pre-ground meat, but stuffing is really where the sausage is made

I wish my dad's cousins were not either dead or so old they might as well be. Bob and John Raymond made some of the best blood sausage I have ever tasted. They always gave us enough brains and sausage to last through winter.

Mike

Don't mention brains anymore. IGG's zombilepsy is in remission and any mention of brains sends him back to prowling the streets for victims.

Salute',TB.

texas blues said:
Don't mention brains anymore. IGG's zombilepsy is in remission and any mention of brains sends him back to prowling the streets for victims.

Salute',TB.

imaguitargod said:
BRRRRRAAAAAIIIINNNNSSSS!!!!

Damnit, TB, see what you started? Just for that you're the one whos going to have to go around and clean up after him.

This is going to be a fun one.

The soflo peeps are going to be blowin this one up!!!

I have a great idea, though this whole process is new to me.

I guess I'm a sausage-stuffing virgin.

This weekend I should earn a notch on my cutting board at the very least.

yup...its time to get in the groove of slicing, dicing, and grinding...

got a new Northern Industrial Electric Meat Grinder with Sausage Stuffers...

on my way to the local butcher shop to get some casings...

Great. I got the casings. Last week I ordered the attachment for my Kitchenaid with the meat grinder and tubes to feed the product into the casings. What showed up in the mail yesterday was 2 tubes. I'm screwed!

FD4....I will crap my pants if'n you use banana leaf for casings!

Salute',TB.

got hog casings...

TB...you can just run over to the house and use mine...I will share... ;)

Is it too early to start the process...sure hope not...

5 lb pork butt ground ....

100209a001.jpg

wonder then the boss is going to open a thread for the throwdown....

Something just doesn't look right with your ground meat AJ, it should come out in strands and not smear. Did you chill your meat well before grinding?

nope...I remember you saying to chillit first now....but too late...got another 5 lb butt for backup...plus I am using the medium grind and probably should have used the large grind...

texas blues said:
Great. I got the casings. Last week I ordered the attachment for my Kitchenaid with the meat grinder and tubes to feed the product into the casings. What showed up in the mail yesterday was 2 tubes. I'm screwed!

FD4....I will crap my pants if'n you use banana leaf for casings!

Salute',TB.

SHAZAAM!! From the jaws of defeat I have snatched victory! Found the grinder attachment at a Sonoma-Williams across town. Woot!

I should have known that it would be you AJ to open the first can of whoop ass!The snausage looks good so far.

Salute',TB.

Thanks TB and good on ya' for finding your stuffer tubes...

damn, gas is going to cost me more than the sausage does...already burnt 1/4 tank getting the fixin's...was out of fennel seeds and had to go to the store...

oh well, back on track....

the ones I am making now may not be my entries...since this is my first batch ever...

am experimenting with spices now...

100209b001.jpg

first sausage stuffing ever...

100209c001.jpg

made 17 sausages out of 4.5 lbs pork butt...not perfect, but I am pleased with my first stab at making sausages...didn't bust a single casing....

100209c002.jpg

by the way, these are NOT my entries for the throwdown...just my practice session...

First time snausage maker says you.....:liar:

That's just too much hot, blue, and righteous on that meat chain you got goin' on.

Salute',TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back