beer Ozzy's Beginning brewing

grantmichaels said:

I think that is your yeast packet, just an FYI ;)

Fermentis Safale US-04 ...

Not sure what the use of the U or not represents ...
Lmao. All these yeast names and numbers are overwhelming for my new ass.

I just have to figure out the CO2 I guess.

Ozzy2001 said:
Lmao. All these yeast names and numbers are overwhelming for my new ass.

I just have to figure out the CO2 I guess.

You just got Wheebz'd, LOL ...

That's how I ended up gearing up, because he's going to tell you how to do it right ...

RM is really resourceful - I bet he'll have an idea using paint-ball gear or equipment to get a shot of it down there =)

The whipping siphons for culinary use CO2, you might be able to rig up a tube to the end of the nozzle, but the whipping siphons are just as expensive as a CO2 tank and cheap regulator in actuality ...

Haha: http://keysunbio.en.alibaba.com/product/60124511844-800171236/food_grade_Carbon_dioxide_fast_effervescent_tablets.html

I don't know if I trust that, but I thought it was interesting anyways ...

CHEERS!
PS - that's one of the uses this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438113301.917872.jpg

... the other is carbonating beer in a day because you are impatient, lol.

Lol at the end of the day, it may be cheaper to just buy another kit and start over and spend more time rehydrating the yeast and using 2 packets.

I can relate to being Wheebz'd. I do the same thing when somebody has a problem on their house. I say how "I" would fix it. Well, I have all the tools to do the job so I think according to what I have. It's all still helpful advice though which is all I asked for so I'm happy. This batch either will turn out or it won't. The world won't end.

Ozzy2001 said:
Lol at the end of the day, it may be cheaper to just buy another kit and start over and spend more time rehydrating the yeast and using 2 packets.

I can relate to being Wheebz'd. I do the same thing when somebody has a problem on their house. I say how "I" would fix it. Well, I have all the tools to do the job so I think according to what I have. It's all still helpful advice though which is all I asked for so I'm happy. This batch either will turn out or it won't. The world won't end.

Hell no! Pitch the packet in there and let her rip before that =) ...

:drunk:

grantmichaels said:

Hell no! Pitch the packet in there and let her rip before that =) ...

:drunk:
That's what I mean. I'm gonna grab another packet on my way home. Rehydrate them and toss them in and hope for the best.
I just mean if it doesn't work out I'll do it differently next time. I just don't have the extra money right now to invest in any other equipment.

grantmichaels said:

RM is really resourceful - I bet he'll have an idea using paint-ball gear or equipment to get a shot of it down there =)
Well, actually, there's an adapter for that

C9F04C39-FA5D-49D9-97CD-2A6178770919_zpszkxyvz1d.jpg

Actually for just purging an ale pale I think I'd just pick up one of these from Walmart.

EA83C7DE-E2A3-413D-913F-11EFF8BCC209_zpsrzscramy.jpg

It's for quickly inflating a bicycle inter tube. 1 12 gram cartridge would be plenty of CO2 for pushing out the O2

RocketMan said:
Well, actually, there's an adapter for that

C9F04C39-FA5D-49D9-97CD-2A6178770919_zpszkxyvz1d.jpg

Actually for just purging an ale pale I think I'd just pick up one of these from Walmart.

EA83C7DE-E2A3-413D-913F-11EFF8BCC209_zpsrzscramy.jpg

It's for quickly inflating a bicycle inter tube. 1 12 gram cartridge would be plenty of CO2 for pushing out the O2
Wow RM! You are the man. I'm already home, so I may get that tomorrow and give it a shot.

Unfortunately, the Walmart near me did not have the CO2 bike pump. So I went ahead and rack to another carboy, rehydrated 2 packets of yeast and pitched.

Fingers crossed.
Here's the trub from the original bucket.

Rocketman style. Grabbed this at the local bike shop then over to Home Depot for an adapter and tubing. So do I just stick that hose down in the beer and let it rip to purge the O2 out?
Lol I may get home and the new yeast has gone crazy. In case it hasn't though I wanted to be prepared.

Ozzy2001 said:

Rocketman style. Grabbed this at the local bike shop then over to Home Depot for an adapter and tubing. So do I just stick that hose down in the beer and let it rip to purge the O2 out?
Lol I may get home and the new yeast has gone crazy. In case it hasn't though I wanted to be prepared.

The conceptual idea, to the best of my knowledge thus far, is you want to put it down there, not all the way, so that it rouses up the yeast into solution, but doesn't stir up all the sediment and trub at the same time ...

The yeast is a thin silty layer on top of the other, that is pretty defined when you stare at the profile from outside the container ...

You'll want to sanitize the tube, and also use sanitizer on the mouth of the carboy and the cap etc, I'm sure ...

I don't think you are going to come home and find krausen this time, because there's probably not enough fermentables left to have that dramatic of an effect ...

In truth, some number of the hours that  have passed since last night when you pitched are for the lag phase, and they may have no even started making alcohol yet, depending on how you rehydrated them and temperature etc ...

So ... cool. Interested to see how this proceeds, certainly!

CHEERS!

If your just purging a secondary like Wheebz suggested then just slip it down to the bottom of the bucket/carboy and blow CO2 through it till you think you've pushed all the O2 out of it and put a lid on it to prevent as much O2 from going back in as you can. The rack it over to the purged vessel.

RocketMan said:
If your just purging a secondary like Wheebz suggested then just slip it down to the bottom of the bucket/carboy and blow CO2 through it till you think you've pushed all the O2 out of it and put a lid on it to prevent as much O2 from going back in as you can. The rack it over to the purged vessel.

I see now he transitioned in that ... at 1st he was talking about rousing them back into suspension, but he did switch to suggesting re-racking for re-pitching, which I didn't notice until RM pointed it out ...

That's a nice low number in general, and here's some dark-side gear:
Link: http://amzn.com/B008071H8O

;)

PS - don't buy the plastic version, I have both, and the difference in seal is tremendous.

Back