• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

P-Son's "mild to wild" Manscaping prohibited!!

After a couple nudging pm's it is time to get things rolling...well, get a list situated atleast. I won't be starting my seeds until March 1 this season. This list is subject to change, and I'm betting it will before I'm done typing. My two goals this season are 1.) Take less pics and better quality 2.)Sow later and achieve similar yields. My germination techniques and set up are not inspirational or extravagant so the bulk of my updates will be after early june plant out. Fert apllication and medium are changing a tiny bit but staying simple with it.

c.annuum
Big Jim
Elefant
Giant Aconcagua
Goat's Weed
Jimmy Nardello
Mucho Nacho
Purple Pequin

c.baccatum
Aji Cristal
Birgit's Locoto (growdown)
Yellow Bouquet

c.frutescens
Boonie
GRIF9265
Jindungo
Lombok
Malagueta
Ndungu

c.pubescens
Canario
Brown Rocoto
Dino Pod
Rocoto Largo San Isidro
Turbo Pube
White Manzano

c.chinense
7 Pot Congo SR
7 Pot Primo Orange
7 Pot Primo Red
7 Pot Primo Yellow
7 Pot Red Brain
7 Pot Yellow
Armageddon F-2
Bahamian Goat
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (overwinter)
Bode Roxa
Black Naga
Butch T (overwinter)
Carolina Reaper
Douglah (overwinter)
Fatalii
Giant Twisted Chocolate Habanero
Jay's Ghost Scorpion Red
Jay's Ghost Scorpion Peach
Not Black Naga Mean Red Spiky Cross
Not Infinity Yellow Cross
Peach Scorpion
Red FDA Scotch Bonnet
Spikes F-1
TFM Scotch Bonnet
Red Tree Hab

wilds
CAP 1144
CAP 1530 c.cardenasii
CGN 19198 c.sp
c.buforum
c.ciliatum
Cumari Parana
Cumari Verdareira
c.exile-chacoense-cobincho
c.eximium
c.flexuosum
c.galapagoense
Huge Rocopica (pube x card)
c.lanceolatum
Mata Frade
Parvifolium
c.tovarii

Now for the good stuff.... 70's style! These are some old and new pics of the pubes and wilds I have growing currently.

eximium and cardenasii
RSCN0307.jpg

NIKONL810004.jpg

tovarii and galapagoense
RSCN0569.jpg

RSCN0303.jpg

flexuosum
RSCN0299.jpg

c lanceolatum.... Holy Grail stuff!!! After 47 days I sowed my last couple seeds in a last ditch effort. 9 or 10 days later and this guy hooks. I'm over the moon...that is until I see the seed hull hanging on. Really?? So what do you do when only 1 sprouts out of your 7 seeds and it has a helmet head? Surgery ensued! I weaseled the pinhead sized casing off and everything looked nice and green but in a few hours it started looking rough. Fingers crossed for now. Excuse the cell phone picture here.
2013-02-03_10-40-10_380.jpg

Pubes
2012-12-29_22-15-48_522.jpg

RSCN0573-1.jpg

RSCN0629.jpg

RSCN0648.jpg

I'm liking all the purple variegation in the plants. You've gone wild with the wilds !
Looking forward to seeing the chili's from those plants...

National Geographic may be in need for a nature photographer......you've got a good start for a portfolio...

Have a great week !

john...looks like its gonna be one WILD summer!

Fingers crossed I can get some ripe fruit to pass along these cool varieties.

Great looking specimens here. Great grower, photographer, sprouts and camera! All good things, and varieties I've never even heard about! Thats one extensive grow list.

Hey Rich,thank for the compliments. I know you are just getting started also but I can see some monsters in your future. I like the idea of you letting the mothers die off and starting new. There are a lot of cool varieties out there for you to work your magic on.

Purdy flowers. Reminds me I need to drop some random seeds out front in the actual flower bed. The bulb plants need to have some competition.

Hey Bri,hope all is well out east my friend. You have the fatalii beds going again this year?

Fantastic start P-son. Wonderful pics, that double Douglah is badass. Overwinters are looking antsy lol they're going to be in beast mode once you get them outside!

I tossed a couple of my overwinters out recently,they just weren't forming proper roots. I'm sure they would have pulled through but I want everything to be ready to roll when the time comes to go out. I may hit the others with some artificial light in another month to give them alittle nudge. Hope all is well with you. I see you got your hands on some new lighting.

Great photography, well done. How are those purple pequin? I'm growing a duke pequin x pimenta da neyde I'm hoping will turn out like purple pequins...

First year growing them for me but I like the way they are reacting to the lighting. I will ship you out some seeds to try at the end of the season if you are interested. I'm sure you have more going than you know what to do with now.

I'm liking all the purple variegation in the plants. You've gone wild with the wilds !
Looking forward to seeing the chili's from those plants...

National Geographic may be in need for a nature photographer......you've got a good start for a portfolio...

Have a great week !

Haha that would be a dream job. I am loving the wilds,and hope to get time to cross a couple of them. Thanks for the compliments Greg. Hoping to treat the "pepperology" crew to a sampling this summer.

Did you move or do you mean east of Pitt.
I was going to do Primos out front, but not enough popped, so I am doing the same as 2 years ago. I had a shelf in the freezer full of that cross and a local BBQ shop bought them from my freezer for their house sauce. 2011's harvest of them is almost gone and none from last year, so I dropped seed last week for them and they are going nuts and ready for their cells. Hopefully this summer I can make time to swing out that way and get lost in the one-way maze you call home. :lol:

Quick update as it's right at my bedtime. My camera battery died on me so there will be a phone,and camera hodge-podge thing going on.

Here is fatalii (pepper guru) that I'm trying to keep under my thumb...
RSCN1716.jpg

Mata frade...
DSCN1677.jpg

Kaval F2 hybrid by Vladan..
031213192954.jpg

Chris' Not black naga spiky cross,Douglah,and Spikes F1 Vladan. Alittle overwatered but will be fine.
031213192715.jpg

TFM bonnet
DSCN1527.jpg

Orange primo. Normally would whack this guy but his big brother had some early leaf funk too and is doing fine. Mutant or hybrid? Not sure if that was ever figured out.
031213195129.jpg

Dino manzano
DSCN1695.jpg

white manzano
DSCN1717.jpg

Canario
DSCN1647.jpg

Tried to get some shots of the eagles at the ice dam but no luck. This is the only think growing around here these days. In the 80's here last year around this time.
DSCN1609.jpg

I don't know that I've ever heard of a white manzano. Did you grow that out last year, or is it new? Same as oranges, but white? I love the manzano flavor, so very curious what that one is like for you. Beautiful pictures as always, btw.

You got some crazy $hit going on over there John! Love your varieties. Now charge up that battery and get shooting!

Tomorrow,only four until I wake up for work. Zzzzzzzz

I don't know that I've ever heard of a white manzano. Did you grow that out last year, or is it new? Same as oranges, but white? I love the manzano flavor, so very curious what that one is like for you. Beautiful pictures as always, btw.

Hey Andy, I have never grown the White Manzano. Pretty sure it is same as the orange but gets cream colored. Goal is to get one T shirt white. I think a couple people are growing this out for that reason. If it happens there will be seeds available. I will be keeping this guy alive year round

Everything is looking magnifico. I'd like to know a little more about Chris's "not" black naga. (I've got a few growing as well, they are mean pods)

Damn, I will be coming to this grow log for my photo addiction now. That camera phone is phenomenal!!!!!! Hell of a job with everything. Keep up the great growing.

Chris

Looks like another one to follow. Love all the wilds, and fuzzy plants in general. The Butch T OW looks like it will tower once it gets outside. How's that Double Dougie coming along? And like everyone else said, great shots!

@spice.... I check for bugs constantly and none so far,not ruling it out though. I hope it turns into a mutant mess with some crazy pods! All new growth is coming in the same way.

Damn, I will be coming to this grow log for my photo addiction now. That camera phone is phenomenal!!!!!! Hell of a job with everything. Keep up the great growing.

Chris

It's an honor to have you join in. I have you to thank,or maybe curse for fueling this addiction.Some of the pics are from the phone,but most are from a normal camera. A lot of the newer phones take good shots if the lighting is right.

Fantastic pics and grow!

I'll be watching for more.

Cool,the more the merrier! There have been friendships gained,and plenty of knowledge passed along in the glogs.

Looks like another one to follow. Love all the wilds, and fuzzy plants in general. The Butch T OW looks like it will tower once it gets outside. How's that Double Dougie coming along? And like everyone else said, great shots!

Unfortunately the double doogie dropped which didn't surprise me. Butch T is "jonesin" for some nice weather,or maybe it's just me that is? I trimmed that plant bigger hoping for a monster this year. Not a fan of the pepper though. Thanks for checking in.

cobincho up an running...
RSCN1839.jpg

CAP1144 on second try. First 3 seeds were duds and 2 out of 3 this time. Same pack of seeds,just never know.
RSCN1829.jpg

cumari verdadeira
DSCN1889.jpg

young galapa inner branching
DSCN1892-1.jpg

Maui purple shot inspired by Greg. Not as cool as his,maybe in a few months.
DSCN1836.jpg

Thai ornamental or mini. Might be the easiest plant I've ever grown.
DSCN1878.jpg

Fuzz!!
RSCN1882.jpg

No problems here everything looks great ! Lots of new varieties makes this glog very interesting to follow. Look at all those whispy hairs......bud.

Ornamental Thai or not you'll be using chili's off that in a month or so.
J, you timed it right with the start-up...

@shane... anything I'm posting has already been done. I'm just adding to the pot,and hopefully someone sees something in a search and it gives them interest in a new variety. Some of this stuff is impossible to get and I don't think it should be that way. I see more folks taking interest in wilds,and flavorful varieties everyday. A good thing in my book.

@Greg... In the cumari pic you can see some annuums behind it. Trying to get that tray to have all different species but need potted up at the same time.An experiment to try and keep lighting costs,soil,etc. down and keep everything in a tighter space. I can see differences in your glog from last year with products and techniques. We all can basically grow a plant,it's the overlooked things that seperate the posers (me) and the good growers.Great seeing an old dog trying to learn new tricks! haha Gives me hope that this won't fizzle out on me.

Back