• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patrick's 2011 Grow Log

Here we are again. I can't believe how fast the time goes by anymore. My pops always said the older you get the faster it passes us by.

I am especially excited about this year, I'm going to try and cross a couple of peppers, on purpose! Haven't made the final decisions yet though.

Anyway, here's a few that I overwintered. The one on the left came from a 7 Pod Barrackpore cutting. It struggled for a bit but the roots are starting to grow so I'm hopeful. Center front is a "large" 7 Pod, center rear was a very robust Dorset Naga and the one on the right is a 7 Pod Primo. The latter three I removed from 5-7 gal pots, trimmed the roots and cut them down to just the stem. They sat in my foyer where they got some limited sunlight through a window. I'm very happy with them.

IMG_6508.jpg

This is the first tray of seeds I stuck in coco coir last night. I've had success before with this medium as a seed starting mix so see no reason to change. It is nutrient poor so I start using fertilizer at an early stage in the plants life, at a very reduced rate.

IMG_6506800x600.jpg

Here is what I've started so far:

7 Pod, Brain Strain PRF…………………………..………........ 5
7 Pod, Brown Judy………………………………..………............ 6
Bhut Jolokia, Yellow…………………………………..………........ 5
Pimenta Tiger, AISPES004...................... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Butch T Judy…………….………...... 8
Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate AISPES108…....……. 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Morouga HSC……………….……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow AISPES109..……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow 2 SS………………….………..... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow Morouga AISPES107...…3

Not all of them are in the photo.

They are on a cookie sheet which is on a heat pad. Current temp in the coco coir varies from 75F - 80F. I would like it warmer and may mess with the heating pad settings. I plan on picking up a couple of heat mats tomorrow for more trays.

I have several other varieties to get started and would like to keep my total at under 90 plants.

Here we go! :woohoo:

PIC 1 I know where you can get some Pimenta Tiger seeds, send me a PM.

Thanks SS. Give a guy some woodworking tools and enough time and anything is possible.

Thanks for the info JR. The Pimenta Tigers are indeed "beautiful works in progress" and I'm thrilled to be a part of it. Since most of mine were hammered hard with back to back hail storms I'm going to try and overwinter a couple to give them a better chance next season.

Wow Great pictures Patrick! Not sure how I missed your update! Those Pimenta Tigers are awesome. I just got pods set last week. Now I know what to expect. My two in the ground are small but podding up. My two in the pots are huge and not a single flower. Go figure... I am really liking this in ground growing. They seem to be a lot more insensitive to the heat. 12 of my in ground, full sun plants have pods… only 2 of my potted plants have pods and they are at least 1 month older. I am on pins and needles to see if some of our tigers actually get stripes or if it was just hybrid freak plant. Hey what did that AISPES Morouga Yellow taste like and was it actually a superhot or just medium like all the other yeallow scorps? Oh and yea if these actually produce stripes... I may get divorced. I will overwinter them on the kitchen table and feed them ferts every night at dinner time. LOL

Michael, I'm thinking the plants in the ground are much more heat tolerant since the roots have more protection. Agree on the pins and needles, been that way since I got the seeds. With the show mine have put on I'm content with them, stripes or not. I can understand your feelings though, hope you can get the spouse to see things your way--ha! If not I have a spare bedroom and lots of space for more pots.

I didn't take too big of a slice from the T.S. Morouga yellow AISPES pod, yeah I know I'm a sissy. The heat was there but I would be hesitant to say superhot. I'm OK with that though, the pods are wicked looking and downright huge! Much thicker meat than most superhots too.

Checking things out this a.m. I found one of the 7 Jonah cross pods beginning to ripen.

DSC003161024x768.jpg

Looks a little "dragonish" doesn't it?

Your Dragon pod looks amazing. I hope your not going to just tease us with great pictures.. We need you to review the flavor and heat for us. (Hey your first video…) And some photos of it cut open. Hey did you see the photos of the inside of the Ser Pepper on AISPES? It is a Morouga Scorpion cross and looks like is 99% placenta. We have to request seeds for that one next year.

Patrick. Man the stuff is looking great dude. I found the T.S Morouga yellow to be very similar to the yellow 7 pot but i havent had the chance to taste it yet. Great shot of the Jonah cross. Be cool if the F2s turn out to look dragonish as those.

cheers

Yann

Michael, I'm thinking the plants in the ground are much more heat tolerant since the roots have more protection. Agree on the pins and needles, been that way since I got the seeds. With the show mine have put on I'm content with them, stripes or not. I can understand your feelings though, hope you can get the spouse to see things your way--ha! If not I have a spare bedroom and lots of space for more pots.

I didn't take too big of a slice from the T.S. Morouga yellow AISPES pod, yeah I know I'm a sissy. The heat was there but I would be hesitant to say superhot. I'm OK with that though, the pods are wicked looking and downright huge! Much thicker meat than most superhots too.

Checking things out this a.m. I found one of the 7 Jonah cross pods beginning to ripen.

DSC003161024x768.jpg

That's definitely the... "B...omb"

DSC003161024x768.jpg

That is one very cool looking hot pod. :)

Replacing a few lost pics.

These are the 7 Jonah cross.

DSC003341024x768.jpg

DSC003401280x960.jpg

DSC003421280x960.jpg

One comment I made that I remember is the smell of the pepper when I cut it open. It reminded me of a Bhut Jolokia big time. That sweet, citrussy smell. I can't believe "citrussy" isn't a word. Isn't the "wettest" looking pod I've ever opened but there is quite a bit of placenta.

Hey Lee! Good to hear from you. You're right about the Bhut it does have a wonderful flavor, just wish it would last a little longer before the heat takes over.

Spiders are doing great, thanks for asking.

That Pimenta Tiger AISPES is really interesting. The photos of the striped pods are cool but so are your shots. As you pointed out, it appears to put on quite a show through all it stages of growth. Have yours begun to show stripes?

That Jonah cross is really unique as well. You planning on growing out future generations?

Very intimidating cross you have there P. How does it rate on the heat scale? :)

Forum crashed? I must have slept through it.

SS I'm having a bit of trouble with the capsaicin receptors registration of heat so I've bowed out of sampling to allow a true professional to have a go at it. Should be happening real soon. :lol:

Great stuff man :dance: looks like your troubled start has long gone and your plants have come back to give you some wicked looking pods!

SS I'm having a bit of trouble with the capsaicin receptors registration of heat so I've bowed out of sampling to allow a true professional to have a go at it. Should be happening real soon. :lol:

The good lord has sent your heat tolerance back to square one. Enjoy the humor in having cayenne release endorphins again.
Hope all is well.

Back