• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Peter's 2015 Glog

I've started germinating a few seeds for 2015. I'm using the wet paper towel in sandwich bag method for the first time. For each seed type, I soaked the seeds in 3% hydrogen peroxide for one minute, then rinsed before putting on the paper towel. I've got all the bags in a plastic box, sitting on a germination heat mat. I put a half plastic egg carton on the bottom so they won't get too hot.

lOzX5Xtl.jpg

WKujPRVl.jpg

6scGcmcl.jpg

It looks like a few of the seeds have something white poking out. These are ajijoes Chocolate Hand Grenade Habanero and Pepperlover's Mustard Moruga Scorpion. 

0Ib0kThl.jpg

KJkBPjbl.jpg

I started them on 12/19. I'm going to move any germinated seeds to cups containing Fox Farms Light Warrior. This will be the first time using this as well.

RK3Tna3l.jpg

Here's my, as of now, grow list. Most of these are from Pepperlover, a few from Buckeye Peppers. Two are from ajijoe, one from Dollar General.

7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow
7 Pot Bubblegum
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Rennie Chocolate - Buckeye Peppers
Aji Cito
Aji Habanero
Aji Verde
Albanian Red Hot
Aleppo
Bahamian Goat - Buckeye Peppers
Bell of Lebannon
Bhut Jolokia Red
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Brazilian Star Fish
Brown Moruga
Buckeye Butchlah - Buckeye Peppers
Chocolate Habanero
Chocolate Hand Grenade Habanero - ajijoe
Cinnamon Bell
Cumra Cherry
Devil's Heart
Devil's Horn
Dorset Naga
Ecuador Red Rocoto
Elephant's Ear
Farmers Jalepeno
Fatalii White
Hot Banana
Hot Fingers
Hot Tomatoes
MOA Scotch Bonnet
Mustard Moruga Scorpion
Orange Habanero - Dollar General
Paper Lantern
Pineapple Rocoto
Reaper
Red Maraba X - ajijoe
Sula Adana
Sweet Cow Horn
Trinida Scorpion Moruga Yellow

------
A few more added later (edited in on 2/9/15)

Peach Congo
7 Pod Congo SR Gigantic
Rosemary Pepper
7-Pot Chaguanas
Cherio Roxa
CGN 20800
CGN 21500
7-Pot Lava
Bhut Jolokia, Peach
7-Pot Mad Ballz Red
Fatalii, Yellow
7-Pot Brainstrain, Red
Butch T Scorpion
--------

What I've started germinating so far is:
7 Pot Rennie Chocolate
Albanian Red Hot
Bahamian Goat
Bhut Jolokia Red
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Buckeye Butchlah
Chocolate Habanero
Chocolate Hand Grenade Habanero
Devil's Heart
Ecuador Red Rocoto
Mustard Moruga Scorpion
Pineapple Rocoto
Reaper

There are a few others I'm going to start early, but wanted to test this germination method first. I'll start the rest sometime next month.

PaulG said:
Nice grow going there, buddy!  Will be interesting to see how
the fabric pots work.  I'll bet great.  Maybe have to watch the
water a bit; do they dry out quickly?
Thanks! So far the fabric pots seem fine. I've been checking the weight, and when they start feeling light I let them soak in a few inches of water for while. They don't seem to be drying out too quickly yet. I'm anxious to see how they do compared with the plants in solo cups.

Roguejim said:
Well done!  Peach Congo??  Yet, another one I never heard of...
Thanks RogueJim! The Peach Congo is a strain developed by Pepperlover. A friend from work shared some seeds with me. I think just about all, if not every one I started germinated. I have some growing in my mini-nursery upstairs, still in dixie cups. I potted one up today. Here's a link to Pepperlover's site on Peach Congo.

Little inter-week update. This Pineapple Rocoto is really starting to take off!

ZUEtSG3l.jpg

Here're pics of one of the Chocolate Hand Grendades (the x looking one) and a Reaper.

This is the Choc Hand Grenade that started out purple. The leaves are turning more green, but are darker than the others, and little more elongated too. Excited to see how the pods turn out.

7sLNlnfl.jpg

And the Reaper

r3Rs0Wsl.jpg

Peter S said:
I've started germinating a few seeds for 2015. I'm using the wet paper towel in sandwich bag method for the first time. For each seed type, I soaked the seeds in 3% hydrogen peroxide for one minute, then rinsed before putting on the paper towel. I've got all the bags in a plastic box, sitting on a germination heat mat. I put a half plastic egg carton on the bottom so they won't get too hot.

lOzX5Xtl.jpg

WKujPRVl.jpg

6scGcmcl.jpg

It looks like a few of the seeds have something white poking out. These are ajijoes Chocolate Hand Grenade Habanero and Pepperlover's Mustard Moruga Scorpion. 

0Ib0kThl.jpg

KJkBPjbl.jpg

I started them on 12/19. I'm going to move any germinated seeds to cups containing Fox Farms Light Warrior. This will be the first time using this as well.

RK3Tna3l.jpg

Here's my, as of now, grow list. Most of these are from Pepperlover, a few from Buckeye Peppers. Two are from ajijoe, one from Dollar General.

7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow
7 Pot Bubblegum
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Rennie Chocolate - Buckeye Peppers
Aji Cito
Aji Habanero
Aji Verde
Albanian Red Hot
Aleppo
Bahamian Goat - Buckeye Peppers
Bell of Lebannon
Bhut Jolokia Red
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Brazilian Star Fish
Brown Moruga
Buckeye Butchlah - Buckeye Peppers
Chocolate Habanero
Chocolate Hand Grenade Habanero - ajijoe
Cinnamon Bell
Cumra Cherry
Devil's Heart
Devil's Horn
Dorset Naga
Ecuador Red Rocoto
Elephant's Ear
Farmers Jalepeno
Fatalii White
Hot Banana
Hot Fingers
Hot Tomatoes
MOA Scotch Bonnet
Mustard Moruga Scorpion
Orange Habanero - Dollar General
Paper Lantern
Pineapple Rocoto
Reaper
Red Maraba X - ajijoe
Sula Adana
Sweet Cow Horn

------
A few more added later (edited in on 2/9/15)

Peach Congo
7 Pod Congo SR Gigantic
Rosemary Pepper
7-Pot Chaguanas
Cherio Roxa
CGN 20800
CGN 21500
7-Pot Lava
Bhut Jolokia, Peach
7-Pot Mad Ballz Red
Fatalii, Yellow
7-Pot Brainstrain, Red
Butch T Scorpion
--------

What I've started germinating so far is:
7 Pot Rennie Chocolate
Albanian Red Hot
Bahamian Goat
Bhut Jolokia Red
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Buckeye Butchlah
Chocolate Habanero
Chocolate Hand Grenade Habanero
Devil's Heart
Ecuador Red Rocoto
Mustard Moruga Scorpion
Pineapple Rocoto
Reaper

There are a few others I'm going to start early, but wanted to test this germination method first. I'll start the rest sometime next month.
Nice list peter I have soaked some and the only difference it made was judys BJ Peach S S when it comes to germination & I only got five so those may have just been five good seeds
The paper towl method did not work will ether for me.
I think that I will stick direct to dirt that works well for me only think I like about soaking is it helps with preventing helmet heads
I am glad everything is working out well for you best of luck this season
mpicante said:
I agree with everyone great list and looking good so far.Am interested in knowing how the HAND GRENADE HABS TURN out.Good luck too you this season.
I agree with everyone great list and looking good so far.Am interested in knowing how the HAND GRENADE HABS TURN out.Good luck too you this season.
same here on the hand grenade habs and best of luck your seedlings looking good
Peter S said:
Here's a quick update. Everything's going well, aside from a few helmet heads. I started germinating these today:

Brazilian Starfish
White Fatalii
Aji Cito
Aji Verde
Aji Habanero
Aji Pineapple
Aji Chuncho

Also, started some more Reaper and Devils' Heart. I have one or two that look good that sprouted, but most had helmet head. I'm doing the transplanting a little differently now, and see if that helps.

AFqSGEWl.jpg

lzIy7Uul.jpg

Here are two of my Chocolate Hand Grenade Habaneros. All of them have green coty's except for this one, looks really cool. Don't know if it'll turn out any different from the others.

mIlK6Tdl.jpg

TIjNJqDl.jpg
That is one cool chocolate hand!
I am catching up on your glog everything is moving along and looks great!
Beautiful plants peter awesome list I like what your doing here looks like your going to have an great year!
Peter S said:
Thanks! So far the fabric pots seem fine. I've been checking the weight, and when they start feeling light I let them soak in a few inches of water for while. They don't seem to be drying out too quickly yet. I'm anxious to see how they do compared with the plants in solo cups.

Thanks RogueJim! The Peach Congo is a strain developed by Pepperlover. A friend from work shared some seeds with me. I think just about all, if not every one I started germinated. I have some growing in my mini-nursery upstairs, still in dixie cups. I potted one up today. Here's a link to Pepperlover's site on Peach Congo.
I have them coming up now I look forward to them!
Love your purple/dark green chocolate hand grenade!
Peter S said:

Plantguy76 said:
Nice list peter I have soaked some and the only difference it made was judys BJ Peach S S when it comes to germination & I only got five so those may have just been five good seeds
The paper towl method did not work will ether for me.
I think that I will stick direct to dirt that works well for me only think I like about soaking is it helps with preventing helmet heads
I am glad everything is working out well for you best of luck this season
same here on the hand grenade habs and best of luck your seedlings looking good
That is one cool chocolate hand!
I am catching up on your glog everything is moving along and looks great!
Beautiful plants peter awesome list I like what your doing here looks like your going to have an great year!
Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement Plantguy. This is my second growing-from-seed year, and so far I'm happy with how the plants are looking. A little slower growing than others I see on there, but I'm not complaining. I made a bunch of mistakes that tripped me last year, severely,  and somehow still had way more chiles than I knew what to do with by end of the season. 

Take care, and hope you have a great grow this year as well! 

Ditto the purple love!  Some other great purples I've grown are
Black Pearl, Black Prince, Chili Costa Rica, Explosive Ember.

My favorite is the Chili costa Rica.  Big, deep purple leaves
even in our PNW sun, with clusters of upright, black, marble-sized
pods that turn a crimson red.  For powder, I think the black Pearl
rocks.  Haven't tried the Chili Costa Rica powder, yet, but will be
grinding some up soon.

PaulG said:
Ditto the purple love!  Some other great purples I've grown are
Black Pearl, Black Prince, Chili Costa Rica, Explosive Ember.

My favorite is the Chili costa Rica.  Big, deep purple leaves
even in our PNW sun, with clusters of upright, black, marble-sized
pods that turn a crimson red.  For powder, I think the black Pearl
rocks.  Haven't tried the Chili Costa Rica powder, yet, but will be
grinding some up soon.
I want to learn more about powder and spice making this year. Should have a good variety to play with. The best I've made so far from last years harvest is apple smoked Yellow Naga and cherry smoked Reaper/Primo blend.  :onfire:  Planning to order a couple more trays for dehydrator. 
PaulS said:
Looking really good dude, your grow list turned out pretty long! :)
Thanks man! I've got them down to those I'm keeping now, except for a few extras, mostly one or two of each type. Keeping a few more of those I 'think' I will really like like Bahamain Goat, Hand grenade, Scotch Bonnet, etc... I think I gave away around 60+ at work. Maybe some of those will make it. :)  Need to make a trip back to the Ag supply place soon and get materials to make 220ish gallons of grow mix, and source containers as well. Planning to put half in containers and half in ground. 

Peter S said:
I want to learn more about powder and spice making this year. Should have a good variety to play with. The best I've made so far from last years harvest is apple smoked Yellow Naga and cherry smoked Reaper/Primo blend.  :onfire:  Planning to order a couple more trays for dehydrator. 

Thanks man! I've got them down to those I'm keeping now, except for a few extras, mostly one or two of each type. Keeping a few more of those I 'think' I will really like like Bahamain Goat, Hand grenade, Scotch Bonnet, etc... I think I gave away around 60+ at work. Maybe some of those will make it. :)  Need to make a trip back to the Ag supply place soon and get materials to make 220ish gallons of grow mix, and source containers as well. Planning to put half in containers and half in ground. 
I always find it hard to decide how many to keep, common sense says 1 or maybe 2 of each type but it never works that way! Then it always hurts to give thhem away! I gave 5 plants to someone I know last year and they didnt get one fruit! I have no idea what they did with them
You've got some serious shopping to do...

Photo bomb update:

Plants are getting a little crowded. I started hardening them off already as weather permits. Hoping to pot some up to 3 gallon containers soon and keep outside, can always bring back in if it freezes.

3bquh9tl.jpg

A few good closeups.

Tekne Dolmasi
hlSMadhl.jpg

Paper Lantern
WK9VV0il.jpg

Devil's Horn
xHisM4el.jpg

Yellow Moruga Scorpion
r96SaAhl.jpg

Pineapple Rocoto
4oL55vTl.jpg

Ecuadorian Red Rocoto
thdx7ufl.jpg

Cinnamon Bell
hcb1IBrl.jpg

Buckeye Butchlah
L5mLGYrl.jpg

Aji Habanero
FcwPToJl.jpg

Great looking plants and a nice grow list. Hope you have a great season. Good luck with your powder tinkering as well. The apple smoked naga and cherry smoked reaper/primo sound very tasty

Runescape said:

Tekne Dolmasi sounds pretty neat and those rocotos look awesome...

Thanks. Judy/Pepperlover's descriptions of the Tekne Dolmasi and those Rocotos sold me. Never tried any rocotos before, but looking forward to it.
juanitos said:
yeah that pineapple rocoto looks sexy, looks like it just forked too
Thanks, yeah it's been doing really well in that little grow bag I made. I have another one in a Solo cup that's looking good, but not quite as big.
Scorched said:
Great looking plants and a nice grow list. Hope you have a great season. Good luck with your powder tinkering as well. The apple smoked naga and cherry smoked reaper/primo sound very tasty
Thanks! Hope you have a great season as well. I have some of those powders left. If you want to try any, just PM me your address.
Here're a few more pics from yesterday.

A few group shots
V6t0tXSl.jpg

YWas5Dql.jpg

uudSztIl.jpg

b84W605l.jpg

Two of the bigger Chocolate Hand Grenades. The one of the right is the purple pheno, starting to lose a lot of the purple though, but still has a tint. The pic doesn't capture it that well.
XULW7FVl.jpg

Yellow Brainstrain
YnVLzzql.jpg

Rosemary Pepper, this thing's growing like crazy. I started it pretty late.
fUJ7TjYl.jpg

Brown Moruga
G5aIF2ul.jpg

Bahamian Goats
jFBMOsWl.jpg

These are the last of the plants I started. Two Large Orange Thai's in the back, one will be the contender for Growdown Throwdown this year.
cIXBzgvl.jpg

Trident chilli said:
Really healthy plants ... great photos ... will be watching the Albanian Red Hot with interest ... best of luck with your grow Peter
Thanks! I wish you good luck on your grow as well. I just read your glog and was really impressed with how nice your plants look. I didn't realize how many variations of Scotch Bonnets there were. Here's another pic from yesterday of one of my (MoA) Scotch Bonnets.

mYrkSy0.jpg

The tubs of plants look great, Peter, nice and healthy.

Back