• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Proud Marine Dad's organic grow 2014

Here's my Glog for this season. I don't grow a lot of peppers and usually have 10-12 plants each season.
I received some seeds from a good member here San Patricio who was kind enough to share his seeds with me. Thanks my friend.
I planted the super hots near the end of January as I put the lights on them for the first time February 1st.
I am using the old shop light with standard T12 6500k lights in them about 2" above the plants.

The super hots are: Chocolate Bhut, Chocolate Hab, Datil, Red Habanero and SB7J.
This is them on 3-16-14. The Datil's are runts so far. Is that common?

Proud Marine Dad said:
Not sure what the temps were. I had a heating mat under them for a while but turned it off as I didn't think it was helping much. The house has no heating during the day while we are at work or when we are asleep so it probably averaged around the low 60s in the day and the high 60s to low 70s in the evening.

I did have peat moss in the mix. Did I forget to mention that?

The soil did not have to be cycled as it does not contain higher nitrogen sources like alfalfa and others. With just compost, ewc, peat and perlite no cycling is needed.
Uh, yeah, I wasn't thinking. Compost and EWC are kinda by definition already cycled. :D

Well, I got nothin'.
The only possible weak link I see would be the temps may be slightly on the low side for optimal growth.
It's also seems easier to over-water in cooler temps.

Put one SBJ7 in a container on Saturday as a test to see if the soil has cycled long enough. I mixed the soil 29 days ago and the pepper seems OK so far. It had the brown edges on the leaves prior to transplanting so I am watching to see how it does. This is a 10 gallon Root Pouch.

My SB7J's were slow growers last year until the temperatures got into the 80's.  They set pods later , like Trinidads.
But when they set, they set plenty and then they finally ripened all at once.  They ARE worth the wait!

filmost said:
Very cool. Does it work well through cold winters too?
If it gets too cold you need to bring it in the house.
I have it in the garage and when it gets into the 40's at night I bring it inside. It has no smell and has a screen top so no flies or springtails or anything escape.
They are a little pricey at $80 but I bought this one used on Craigslist for $40 and painted the PVC pipe semi-gloss black.
That picture I posted was from the Craigslist ad at the owners house in the Silicon Valley.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Interesting, that has DIY written all over it! Might need to try something out when I get time which is never. 
If you have some Cordura nylon and a way to sew it you could make one just like it. The original idea was a pair of pants with the legs clamped shut I read. :lol:

I actually just found a diy version lol.

I really would like to give vermicomposting a try but given the weather here, lack of space indoors, and my wife being totally against bringing such things indoors, I will just have to stick with bokashi and sourcing castings locally.

Proud Marine Dad said:
If it gets too cold you need to bring it in the house.
I have it in the garage and when it gets into the 40's at night I bring it inside. It has no smell and has a screen top so no flies or springtails or anything escape.
They are a little pricey at $80 but I bought this one used on Craigslist for $40 and painted the PVC pipe semi-gloss black.
That picture I posted was from the Craigslist ad at the owners house in the Silicon Valley.

If you have some Cordura nylon and a way to sew it you could make one just like it. The original idea was a pair of pants with the legs clamped shut I read. :lol:
I would think any breathable material would work just fine, in fact my compost bin is 100% black gold ;) 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I would think any breathable material would work just fine, in fact my compost bin is 100% black gold ;)
True, the Cordura is just tough stuff so that's probably why it's used in a commercial unit.

Back