• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Proud Marine Dad's organic grow 2014

Here's my Glog for this season. I don't grow a lot of peppers and usually have 10-12 plants each season.
I received some seeds from a good member here San Patricio who was kind enough to share his seeds with me. Thanks my friend.
I planted the super hots near the end of January as I put the lights on them for the first time February 1st.
I am using the old shop light with standard T12 6500k lights in them about 2" above the plants.

The super hots are: Chocolate Bhut, Chocolate Hab, Datil, Red Habanero and SB7J.
This is them on 3-16-14. The Datil's are runts so far. Is that common?

Things are starting to pick up now by the looks ... those "Japanese Maples" in the blue buckets look extremely healthy as well...

I ended up going practically all organic this year as well.  I only fed my plants one time after going in the ground.  1 pint of home-made worm castings in a ring around each plant as a top-dressing.  They arent the greatest plants I have ever grown, but collectively they are producing more peppers than I can possibly eat (or even store for that matter.)  They are staying small like yours.  But its satisfying to know that they are getting along using nutrients I made (with the help of the worms and microbiota ofc) :party:

Good looking plants! :high:

I'd like to recommend a really good organic fertilizer, urea based, Google Hasta Gro (6-12-6). This stuff works really well as a supplement.

Thanks Devv but I don't add anything other than the ingredients I used to make this soil other than some chopped comfrey once in a while and a top dress of EWC or compost.

I want to try this that the most knowledgeable grower I have ever talked to mentioned on another forum:
By the way he recommends bubbling this for 24 hours like making AACT.

I love using alfalfa teas on my plants - inside and outside gardens. 

5 gallons clear water
1 cup alfalfa meal
1/4 cup kelp meal

A true 'fix it' deal that has never failed anyone who has made this up and applied it to their plants. Nothing that a plant requires to thrive (vs. survive) is missing by combining these two materials. I apply kelp & alfalfa tea from the beginning of the veg cycle through the end of the flower cycle about every 2 or 3 weeks and consider it a very important part of my garden routine...

I haven't experimented with the Comfrey that much yet but from all accounts by people who use it a lot it is wonderful stuff.
Just remember this though, if you plant it somewhere it will be there forever and you will not get rid of it unless you have a backhoe and I am not joking.
Comfrey can send a tap root down 15-20 feet! Also use a sterile Comfrey such as the Bocking 14 I am using because regular wild Russian Comfrey is extremely invasive and will take over your whole yard.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen I appreciate the kind words. I also love hearing people using organic things when they can.
You can really get scientific with this stuff which fascinates me.

I'm growing Bocking 4 and 14, so it won't get crazy. And here if I want to "lose it" all I have to do is not water it.

And I agree half the fun is learning all the techniques ;)  And my garden has never had a chemical used in it.

Back