• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Secret Ingredient Throwdown - Mango!

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Lil teaser action...

Attachments

• mango_drink_teaser.jpg
    mango_drink_teaser.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 78
  • mango_skirt_teaser.jpg
    mango_skirt_teaser.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 80
Just checking in for the first time today and already we have AWESOME entries!

Dreadie, what's in the little glass on top of the pineapple on top of the fettuccini?

SumOfMyBits said:
THP - Is that a really big skirt steak or a really small flap meat cut? Or is that the coveted flap of wizard meat??? :shocked:
Skirt!!

Here ya go. Fatalii rubbed and ready!

Attachments

• raw_skirt.jpg
    raw_skirt.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 84
Hmmm maybe I will have to change my entry. I have a flank steak marinating.

Nah, that along with the rest of my stuff will be ok I think. Deciding whether to do it tonight or tomorrow.

Mango-Pork Egg Rolls with Mango Mojito Martini FD4 Style

Well it was a wonderful day in sunny Miami...
I've been out of the loop for a bit, and throwdowns are my passion. I have a lot of pent-up aggression for this one.
I took a Boston Butt, rubbed it with salt, covered it with scotch bonnets and green onions, wrapped the whole thing in a banana leaf, and roasted that beast all day...slow and low. Meanwhile, some mint leaves were bathing in some simple syrup (for the drink)

After the first 18 pack of Busch light, I shredded the pork, sliced up the mango, and made a scotch bonnet relish with cilantro and green onion (it was so good!).

I took some egg-roll wrappers, stuffed them with some banana leaf pork, a slice of mango, and some of the scotch bonnet relish. Fried em up at 350 for a few mins until crispy.
At the same time, I made a Mango Nectar Reduction using some of the relish for heat. This was used for a dipping sauce.

The drink is a Mango Mojito Martini. Dark Rum, Mint-infused Simple Syrup, Fresh Mango, and Mango Nectar. Shaken over ice, served in a martini glass. It was awesome.

Enjoy the pics. It was a fun one.

May1.jpg

The meat, pre-banana-leaf-wraping

May2.jpg

This is the assembly line. You can see the reduction, the egg roll, the relish, the mango, and parts of the drink. And the Busch Light, an American Classic.

...And the money shots...

May3.jpg

May4.jpg

Good Luck Everyone.

FD

qs8fo7.jpg

Here are the ingredients for my FATALLITY TACOS w/ SOOTHING CHINGO ELIXIR.
Rub for the Pork Loin: 5 Kush Peppers, Coarse Sea Salt, Black Peppercorns & Cumin...Slow Roasted Pork.
The Mango/Fatalli Relish: olive oil, lime juice, Fatalli Puree, mango, red bell pepper, scallion honey, cilantro and flax seed.
The Elixer: Puree 5 slices of Mango w/ 2tbs Lime, pour into a glass rimmed with Karo and Chili Powder. Fill with Original Ginseng-Up Soda.
2v0k4kh.jpg

oh and here it is with the $.35
o5zvq8.jpg

It was very tasty, and had a seriously substantial heat, b/t the rub and the puree. I still topped it off each bite with a nice red hot sauce. I went back and fourth between Ronz Hot Sauce (from North Market) and Danny Cash's Red Cayenne.

Thanks JT and Nova
Nova...you sent me some dorset and aji seeds. I shared them with SumBits and 5-O (SoFlo Posse). We have had great success, and by we I mean Sum and 5-O. In fact, over the winter the Aji's had to be in a warehouse and I think the peppers took care of the rat problem they had. Something ate all the fruit, followed by the putrid smell of death that lasted for days.

Those seeds have been both good eats and pest control. Thanks!
FD

Nicole Ha! you are funny like Martin Lawrence....seriously tho I'm coming down to clean up now. (Who knew the throwdown forum would include domestic communications!)

actually I like Jay T's idea!!!

I think that is a rule Johnny, check into it. BTW if it works I you owe me a beer at Peppers on the Beach next weekend. :lol:

Death, are you calling me out???? Check my teaser.
The rules say to post the 35c in the teaser. Look for the yellow cupcake liner. You will see a shiny American quarter and a not-as-shiny American dime.

Where's your entry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back