• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Silver Surfer's 2012 Season Shots

Forming the hilled rows and installing the drip tubing.
HilledRows.jpg

Black plastic mulch and drip line installed.
PlasticMulchInstalled.jpg

Drip lines connected to header/valve assembly.
HeaderInstalled.jpg

Plants hardened and ready for transplant to the garden.
Chillis1_4-28-12.jpg

A closer shot.
Chillis2_4-28-12.jpg

Another view.
Chillis3_4-28-12.jpg

I hope to get about 140 of these transplanted this evening.

http://youtu.be/MouruvmMSFU

Watch in HD!

So, this one was my White Whale. I am super excited to finally get my hands on it, and it couldn't come at a better time. Last season I did a review on a pod that I thought was a BB, however, the heat was just not there, and it didn't look anything like the pod. This one is a bit of pepper history. In a time when we have tons of crazy variations that seemingly pop up overnight, this I guess, could be considered one of the original "Pop ups".

Ok, time for a bit of pepper history. These Trinidad strains didn't just "make" there way over to the states...they were brought over by a chili grower named Sara. That is why you sometimes see the SR designator next to the pepper name (e.g. 7 Pot SR). The Billy Boy strain was one of those original strains. Sara brought over the Douglah variety, and Bent (an Aussie chiligrower), had one single, solitary seed. He managed to get that one seed to germinate, and grow to a mature plant. His buddy, Billy Boy, took a cutting of the original plant, and BAM! Billy Boy strain was born. These were shared among the OZ growers and a few growers from the states (Cappy). Anyways, this pod is extremely rare, and it is tough to find an ACTUAL BB strain. There are a bunch of fakes out there, and I have definitely got the real deal.

On Taste. I was bracing myself for a this one. I really didn't know what to expect. It was very similar to last night's This one had a very good taste, which I was not expecting. Thin skinned, light, floral. It was pretty quickly gone, as soon as the capsaicin kicked in, the taste took a backseat. I guess I have to rethink my Douglah taste aversion....

On Heat. First off, it wasn't as hot as expected. I think that it may have been starting to get really ripe; it is extremely difficult to keep the Douglah variety from going over since it is so thin skinned. But that had little effect, it was still a scorcher. It attacked the tongue, which was different from all the other Douglahs I have ever had. It lasted for about 5 mins, and then slowly cooled down. It wasn't the hottest, I would probably place it a tic below the Scorp and Douglah cross from last night. It had that bite, but wasn't as intense on the muscles.

Overall. This is a must grow in my book. It is one of the originals, it has crazy pod variation, and it has a great taste and crazy taste. I would love to pull one of these pods off the plant and pop one, gotta be amazing! Thanks again SS for hookin it up!

file-31.jpg

Great grow, man! I haven't had a chance to check out your whole glog yet, but I most definitly will. Just wanted to say that I got some of your pods via Coheed and they are excellent, especially the Douglah x Choc Scorp.

But if I can ask, what is this PI 4something?

Thanks, the PI 441598 is a C. Chinense that hasn't been named yet and only has a pepper index number for identification.
SS your pods and garden look just perfect that Sepia Serpent F3 looks just killer.

Thanks, several more grows to get her stable.

Another fine review Matt. You can grow any seed ya want my man. BTW the seed for the BB varieties you're reviewing came directly from Billy Boy.

Picked one row today, sorry no pics of the harvest as I ran out of daylight while shooting some auction pics.

I did take a couple of shots while I was out in the heat this afternoon.

Plants are still growin', pumpin' out pods and short on space.
Chilies 8-25-12
Chilies8-25-12.jpg

Here's what it looks like from a picker's point of view.
Downunder1.jpg

Fire ants don't bother me as much anymore. It's gettin' my shirt damp with the juice from fallen over ripe pods while crawlin' down under that leaves a mean sting on my flanks.

That shot underneath the canopy is absolutely ridiculous. Really puts the size of your plants into perspective. I felt like I was in a superhot rainforest just looking at that picture. lol. Great shots SS, I second Chris, those serpent pods are pretty crazy lookin.

Glad things are going well for you buddy :)

Wow your grow is amazing. That is a phenomenal amount of pods. And the SS sepia is beautiful.

What does the sepia taste like?

I love the tunnels. Mine don't have fire ants but yours look taller. I am not personally a mound person, but can see the benefit there. Looks like a great place for a nap like mine, if it wasn't for the ants of course. Nothing like pick directly over you.

Fantastic jungle of peppers you got growing there S.S. I can't wait till some of the peppers that you grew become a little more availible, They look like they would be very tasty, I can just feel the waves of heat flow through and over me, like touching the edge of a vortex and not getting pulled in.
George W.

Crazy tunnel and great analogy between the fire ant and "hunan flank." Ha!

EDIT: Just got a chance to go through your entire glog. Amazing. Those plants looked big in the pots while on the trailer, then looked small when planted. Perspective is everything. Doubled your row spacing and the plants just got bigger! Amazing hauls in each of those harvests. And okra is da bomb! My Wife only has three plants of okra going and they're putting out more than we can eat.

Sucks about the fire ants. At least they didn't catch wind of you this time around.

This really puts those pods I bought off of Coheed into perspective, as well. I hope its OK that I saved a lot of seed. Really looking forward to growing out a lot of those next year, especially your Sepia Serpent (which will be F4 then). Sounds like I'd better plant a few to get the brown phenotype. Those BB Douglahs look awesome.

OK, I need more land and a volunteer garden force! Ha! Great growin', man!

noted that you ran soaker lines, what is your watering schedule like, and do you use any nutes in that masterpiece of a garden ?

Thanks one and all.

I hope its OK that I saved a lot of seed.

Once ya get your hands on em they're your pods and seed to do whatever ya want with em. :)

noted that you ran soaker lines, what is your watering schedule like, and do you use any nutes in that masterpiece of a garden ?

I watered each row for 2 hours once per week until they reached 4 to 5 feet and then upped it to once every 5 days, all depending on the rainfall for that week. The pressure compensated emitters weep 1/2 gallon per hour and are spaced one per foot. I use Jack's Professional 25-5-15 with trace minerals very sparingly. A 25 pound bag will last me 2 seasons and that's for the entire garden.

I haven't posted any pics lately as I've been busy with other things and drying a few pods for the winter.
DriedPods.jpg

Hi SS, your glog has blown my mind. I've just started my very first grow so I'm a complete rookie at this, but you've definitely given me something to aspire to! (except on a much smaller scale, in pots, on my balcony, lol) :cheers:

Back