• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Silver_Surfer's Soggy Setback 2013

When the ground almost gets dry enough to work, it rains again.
Soggy5-6-13_zps48858a8e.jpg

Plants are long past ready and beginning to get root bound.
Plants5-6-13_zpsccad1e1f.jpg

More rain today. At least the SE no longer suffers from a drought.

I am really looking forward to following your grow again this year. It is always amazing to watch. I am keepin the fingers crossed the weather clears up a bit for you and stays that way. I am antsy for the vegetable farm!

Great list SS...hope the weather gets more predictable and cooperative for you. Plot looks about perfect...with the exception of the wet.

Thanks Matt, good to see ya on here.

When ya comin' home?

It feels like FOREVER! But I only have a couple weeks left. It is crazy, right before I deploy the time is like on FAST FORWARD, but when it comes to the last few weeks of a deployment everything is in slo-mo!

Either way, I will be back in time for sit on the porch and drink beer weather.
:cheers:

Great list SS...hope the weather gets more predictable and cooperative for you. Plot looks about perfect...with the exception of the wet.

Thanks, well it was raining when I got up this morn and it's still pourin' down now. :(

It feels like FOREVER! But I only have a couple weeks left. It is crazy, right before I deploy the time is like on FAST FORWARD, but when it comes to the last few weeks of a deployment everything is in slo-mo!

Time flies when you're havin' fun. :)

Have a safe trip home. :cheers:

Gads do I remember that and Oh Yeah, back in time for the BEST time of the year. Not to mention some really good peppers ;)

I just noticed you've got a C. frutescens deficit... I avoided the species since I had a bad experience with a Tabasco crossing with a bhut I was trying to keep going, but am back to it, trying out a few different kinds this year.  Piri-Piri and Donne Sali seem promising.

Wow!  That is a nice looking trailer you got there!  You are definitely gonna have another great year.  Best start downing the bottles of Jack so you have enough bottles for the harvest shots!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Kick arse!!! Will be surfin in pods and jack Daniels soon enough!
The JD is a certainty, we'll have to do a wait and see on the pods. :cheers:

stc3248 said:
Plants still look fantastic! Few more days till dirt day!
Thanks, gettin' em in dirt will sure make things much easier. They need water every other day now.

Spicegeist said:
I just noticed you've got a C. frutescens deficit... I avoided the species since I had a bad experience with a Tabasco crossing with a bhut I was trying to keep going, but am back to it, trying out a few different kinds this year.  Piri-Piri and Donne Sali seem promising.
Do those produce prolific tiny pods? I hate pickin' thousands of tiny pods. :lol:

MGOLD86 said:
Wow!  That is a nice looking trailer you got there!  You are definitely gonna have another great year.  Best start downing the bottles of Jack so you have enough bottles for the harvest shots!
Thanks Matt, the trailer is a labor saver, especially when hardening off so many at once. I save all my JD bottles and plan on filling some this summer with home made "concentrated beer". :cheers:

It's a shame to treat maters like this. They'll appreciate the move to dirt from 2.5" pots.
Maters5-17-13_zps45e5128a.jpg

Dang SS, those maters are huge for being in 2.5's That must be some REAL "Miracle Grow" mix your using. :)

How's the soil drying project coming along? We over here on this coast are trying to bounce any storm clouds back out to sea for ya.

Silver_Surfer said:

Do those produce prolific tiny pods? I hate pickin' thousands of tiny pods. :lol:

That makes sense for the size of your plot.  I have a pretty limited grow, just potted plants on my patio this season.  Frutescens seem to be just right for this.

Devv said:
Plants are looking good! Hope to see them in the ground ASAP. I know you're more than ready.
Thanks, that's a real understatement. :)

DocNrock said:
Looking great!  Can't wait to see them in the ground.  BTW, got my first pod set on a Sepia Serpent!
Terrific, thanks man.
devilsmokin.gif

Spicegeist said:

That makes sense for the size of your plot.  I have a pretty limited grow, just potted plants on my patio this season.  Frutescens seem to be just right for this.
It's nice there's a pod for everyone; the fun is in the hunt for yours.

5-24-13
Well it rained last weekend so I'm still manually feeding plants.
Eight days later and the plants need water once per day. These 2.64 qt pots don't hold much water.
Chilies_5-2413_zpsea343586.jpg

I'm always looking for new ways to get lazy and forming beds with a hoe and rake was getting old so
I welded together a bed shaper out of some old scrap iron lying around the place.
SS_BedShaper_zpsed07c636.jpg

It's been a great back saver. :) It digs the trench for the plastic mulch as well as the dripline.
ShapedRow_zps720c4a85.jpg

Installing the dripline, which has emitters every 12 inches that weep 1/2 gallon per hour. I run it once
per week for 2 hours until the plants reach around 5 feet then they get fertigated every 5 days for 2 hours.
InstallingDripline_zps2518f146.jpg

The plastic mulch installation was completed in the dark using headlights so that's it for pics now.
Plant out finally starts tomorrow evening after the shade covers the black plastic mulch. :)

Back