• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Solem 2014

Hey everyone,

Last night I dropped the first 48 seeds for the 2014 season. Over the past few weeks I have put together a grow area using t8's, metal shelving and some other make shift reflective materials I had around the house. I'm looking forward to this year as I am expanding my grow by about 4 times (I may have over done it but we will see).

Here is the home that the kids will be in for the next few months. I plan on adding more lighting on the shelve below the top one when I transfer the plants from solo cups to 1 gal containers.

wcSQTWtl.jpg

And here are the kids waiting to emerge.

cHBui6tl.jpg

Here is my current grow list. This may expand if I get some more seeds.

Aji Chuncho (CGN 22792) (Pepperlover)
Aji Limon Peru Yellow [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Bengal Naga (Buckeye Pepper Co)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Bhut Jolokia Peach  [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Bhut Jolokia Red [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Bhut Jolokia Red (My seed)
Bhut Jolokia White [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Brown Moruga [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Brown Scotch Bonnet [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
CGN 20800 [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
CGN 22091 [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
CGN 24360 [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Defcon 7 (Buckeye Pepper Co)
Dorset Naga [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Fatalii Red [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Fatalii Yellow [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Mako Akokosrade [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Tabasco (Unknown)
7 Pot Barrackpore [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Brain Strain Red [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Burgundy [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Douglah Yelllow [SIZE=10.5pt](Buckeye Pepper Co)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Jonah [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Orange [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Primo [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Red [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate [SIZE=10.5pt](Buckeye Pepper Co)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]12/22/13 Additions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Aji Pineapple[/SIZE]
Carolina Reaper
Yellow Primo
Wild Brazil
Funky Reaper
Galapagoense
SBJ7
MOA

Daisy Cutter MA Yellow (Buckeye Pepper Co)
7 Pot Bubblegum (Buckeye Pepper Co)
"Not White" Yellow Bhut (Sawyer)
CAP 501

Penny said:

Is this your first year with hot's, such as the ones you've listed?
Last year was my first year with any super's and it was only red bhuts. I grew devil's tongue, tabasco and what was supposed to be scotch bonnet but it was definitely some type of annuum. This is only my third season growing peppers.

Rom! Looks like you have it all well set up. I can't wait to see your final list or if you're adding 1 or 2 from the seed I sent, but you don't have to.

Wish you the best this season and may the pepper Gods be with you :cheers:

-Walt

HillBilly Jeff said:
Nice looking set up and your grow is coming along nicely.  Look forward to seeing your peppers take shape.  Good luck.
Thanks Hillbilly Jeff! Good luck to you as well!

Vegas_Chili said:
Rom! Looks like you have it all well set up. I can't wait to see your final list or if you're adding 1 or 2 from the seed I sent, but you don't have to.

Wish you the best this season and may the pepper Gods be with you :cheers:

-Walt
Walt, yea I sowed the Aji Pineapple, MoA, Reaper, SBJ7, Galapagoense, Wild Brazil and the Yellow Primo you sent me a about a week ago. Thanks for all those again! I hope the pepper gods bless your season as well. I will post some update pictures of the kids this evening. 

Take it easy, don't work too hard this week!

Solem22 said:
Thanks Hillbilly Jeff! Good luck to you as well!

Walt, yea I sowed the Aji Pineapple, MoA, Reaper, SBJ7, Galapagoense, Wild Brazil and the Yellow Primo you sent me a about a week ago. Thanks for all those again! I hope the pepper gods bless your season as well. I will post some update pictures of the kids this evening. 

Take it easy, don't work too hard this week!
Nice!! I see what you did there, mostly all yellows. From my experience and most people I believe is that yellows are sooo tasty. I loved those yellow devil's tongue you sent me this last summer, beats fatalii IMO. Those you're growing are perfect ;).

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:
Nice!! I see what you did there, mostly all yellows. From my experience and most people I believe is that yellows are sooo tasty. I loved those yellow devil's tongue you sent me this last summer, beats fatalii IMO. Those you're growing are perfect ;).

-Walt
Ha, that is exactly what I was going for. Last year I realized I didn't have enough yellows after loving the Devil's Tongue. Come to think of it, I need to sow some of those just in case my OW doesn't come back.....the list continues to grow. All of the seeds from you have popped except for the galapagoense.

Here is an update on the kids:

nx9zLx3l.jpg

My 7 Pot Red is not happy. It is the one in the bottom left corner. It has just stalled with growth. I may need to give it some nutes to help it along.

mg95ioPl.jpg

4b6vtpjl.jpg

uHe562Dl.jpg

Cheers everyone!  :cheers:

Update time.

So the kids have broken off into two separate categories. Some are growing at a rapid pace and others are taking their time to develop.

Here are the ones taking their time:
a3WDxEgl.jpg

And here are the ones that I can't seem to slow down, lol.
3JfkEJEl.jpg

I also received some more seeds in the mail. I started some Daisy Cutters and BBG 7's a few days ago along with a few that did not pop on the first round. I also found out last week that I did get a plot at the community garden so my pepper varieties are going to expand even more. I have not decided what I will sow next but I will probably focus mostly on wilds....time will tell.

Thanks for stopping by!

:cheers:

Update time.

So the kids have broken off into two separate categories. Some are growing at a rapid pace and others are taking their time to develop.

Here are the ones taking their time:
a3WDxEgl.jpg

And here are the ones that I can't seem to slow down, lol.
3JfkEJEl.jpg

I also received some more seeds in the mail. I started some Daisy Cutters and BBG 7's a few days ago along with a few that did not pop on the first round. I also found out last week that I did get a plot at the community garden so my pepper varieties are going to expand even more. I have not decided what I will sow next but I will probably focus mostly on wilds....time will tell.

Thanks for stopping by!

Looking good Rom! You're way ahead of me LOL.

I'd like to some close ups of those green ladies ;).

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:
Looking good Rom! You're way ahead of me LOL.

I'd like to some close ups of those green ladies ;).

-Walt

Ask and you shall receive! Sorry, took me a bit to get some pics taken.

Aji Pineapple
LCdKbnzl.jpg

MoA
BrSVB2Sl.jpg

Primo
Z6si9H9l.jpg

Reaper
8X8afkbl.jpg

SBJ7
W9AA47Ul.jpg

TS Chocolate
FXS1HCjl.jpg

Brown Moruga
u8c82zSl.jpg

CGN 20800 (this one is already starting to flower)
QolFPVll.jpg

CGN 22091
9rrLkRql.jpg

Defcon 7
fH0FYRBl.jpg

.....bump please??

Vegas_Chili said:

Thanks!

Dorset Naga
NAuUq6al.jpg

Dorset Naga top view (I love the way this one looks from the top)
iqgKC31l.jpg

I am having a few problem children. Some of the plants are showing some yellowing. At first I thought it may be edema but then I thought they may need some more nitrogen. These are a few pics of them. Anyone have any ideas?

JVBLdwZl.jpg

M0pMVV4l.jpg

Thats all for now. Thanks for stopping by!

Awesome update!

I feel jelly just looking at them. You're more ahead of me. Well done :fireball:

The yellowing looks like magnesium deficiency or iron. Try giving them some epsom salts. I think it's about 2 teaspoons per quart of water I believe I can't remember. I have to look up on some notes or maybe someone else has a different recommendation or idea.

But everything is coming out nicely.

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:
Awesome update!

I feel jelly just looking at them. You're more ahead of me. Well done :fireball:

The yellowing looks like magnesium deficiency or iron. Try giving them some epsom salts. I think it's about 2 teaspoons per quart of water I believe I can't remember. I have to look up on some notes or maybe someone else has a different recommendation or idea.

But everything is coming out nicely.

-Walt
Thanks Walt! I'm sure your plants will be past mine in no time!

And thanks for the tip. I didn't even think about the magnesium being an issue.

Have a good rest of the weekend.

Rom

I did a round of pot ups over the past few days. Most are from my first round of seeds that were sown on 12/11. These are the last pots they will be in before they go to plant out. I will be sowing one last round of seeds for the growdown comp and the "not white" yellow bhut growout that sawyer is doing. Maybe a few others as well  :shh:

I used two different soil mixtures this time. The first mix went into the bottom third of the pots and is a little "hotter" than the latter mix. Basically pro mix with blood meal and bone meal and a dash of epsom salt.

CMBNFozl.jpg

EXUL4ORl.jpg

Then I sprinkled some mykos at the center and placed the kids in their new homes. I think they were ready for an upgrade:
zwpodUWl.jpg

Next I made another soil mixture which is basically just pro mix and kelp meal to fill in around the plants. 

Here they are getting water in the new homes:
VLA89Hul.jpg

And a group shot:
yjCKfiVl.jpg

Lastly, I am extremely excited to see my OW Devil's Tongue coming back to life! (Even though all the snow outside the window)
w5w4NNEl.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Hello there fellow Carolinian!! Just wanted to say hello and tell you your plants look really good.  Just got started over here about two weeks ago but this recent winter weather definitely has me with gardening on my mind.  Hope you have a great season this year!!

Mike

romy6 said:
 Plants look very nice and the epsom salt seemed to green the right up. Great call Walter .  :dance:
Thanks! Yea, that seems to do the trick.

FireEater101 said:
Hello there fellow Carolinian!! Just wanted to say hello and tell you your plants look really good.  Just got started over here about two weeks ago but this recent winter weather definitely has me with gardening on my mind.  Hope you have a great season this year!!

Mike
Hey Mike. Thanks for stopping by to say hello! I hear ya about the weather. I enjoyed the time off of work to do some organizing and planning for plant out. Good luck with your season as well!

Rom

Dude!!! Those are some bad a55 roots and plants are looking killer!

You're off to a very nice season, my hat's off to you.

Any sign of the galapagoense? Hope it sprouted for you.

-Walt

Back