• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Solem 2014

Hey everyone,

Last night I dropped the first 48 seeds for the 2014 season. Over the past few weeks I have put together a grow area using t8's, metal shelving and some other make shift reflective materials I had around the house. I'm looking forward to this year as I am expanding my grow by about 4 times (I may have over done it but we will see).

Here is the home that the kids will be in for the next few months. I plan on adding more lighting on the shelve below the top one when I transfer the plants from solo cups to 1 gal containers.

wcSQTWtl.jpg

And here are the kids waiting to emerge.

cHBui6tl.jpg

Here is my current grow list. This may expand if I get some more seeds.

Aji Chuncho (CGN 22792) (Pepperlover)
Aji Limon Peru Yellow [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Bengal Naga (Buckeye Pepper Co)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Bhut Jolokia Peach  [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Bhut Jolokia Red [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Bhut Jolokia Red (My seed)
Bhut Jolokia White [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Brown Moruga [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Brown Scotch Bonnet [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
CGN 20800 [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
CGN 22091 [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
CGN 24360 [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Defcon 7 (Buckeye Pepper Co)
Dorset Naga [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Fatalii Red [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Fatalii Yellow [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Mako Akokosrade [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Tabasco (Unknown)
7 Pot Barrackpore [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Brain Strain Red [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Burgundy [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Douglah Yelllow [SIZE=10.5pt](Buckeye Pepper Co)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Jonah [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Orange [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Primo [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Red [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate [SIZE=10.5pt](Buckeye Pepper Co)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]12/22/13 Additions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Aji Pineapple[/SIZE]
Carolina Reaper
Yellow Primo
Wild Brazil
Funky Reaper
Galapagoense
SBJ7
MOA

Daisy Cutter MA Yellow (Buckeye Pepper Co)
7 Pot Bubblegum (Buckeye Pepper Co)
"Not White" Yellow Bhut (Sawyer)
CAP 501

Vegas_Chili said:
Dude!!! Those are some bad a55 roots and plants are looking killer!

You're off to a very nice season, my hat's off to you.

Any sign of the galapagoense? Hope it sprouted for you.

-Walt
Thanks Walt! My problem that I am starting to realize is that I started too early and I did too many things right. Lol. Last year my plants did not grow at this rate but this year is a different story so I am going to run out of room I think. Haha.

Unfortunately the galapagoense that sprouted didn't make it. I am not really sure what happened. It was starting to put out true leaves and then just stalled. I may have killed it due to impatience. Maybe watered it too much. I think I am gonna give it another go along with the CAP 501 that you sent me in a few weeks.
Devv said:
I like what I see!

Healthy plants and plenty of heat!

Good luck this season!
Thanks a lot! Good luck with your grow as well! I hope that texas heat doesn't get you too bad this season.

Very cool, that CAP 501 is a very nice plant. I like it and I hear they taste like pine nuts. I can't wait to try them, and I have a hybrid too with the Donne sali. It's growing slow and still pulling thru. I'm really excited about my peppers this year and I'm glad you're having fun with yours.

Take lots of notes on what you're doing, everything looks very well dialed in.

Last year I used ProMix and I loved the first 3 weeks but after I didn't fertilize and I didn't amend ProMix with anything and I had root bounded plants and lots of yellowing... The big thing with ProMix is that it has Mycorrhizae which helps feed the plant better and the soil is very very light which makes the roots grow like crazy.

Next year I'll be trying ProMix again, but first I need to do some homework and decide how and what I want to mix.

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:
Very cool, that CAP 501 is a very nice plant. I like it and I hear they taste like pine nuts. I can't wait to try them, and I have a hybrid too with the Donne sali. It's growing slow and still pulling thru. I'm really excited about my peppers this year and I'm glad you're having fun with yours.

Take lots of notes on what you're doing, everything looks very well dialed in.

Last year I used ProMix and I loved the first 3 weeks but after I didn't fertilize and I didn't amend ProMix with anything and I had root bounded plants and lots of yellowing... The big thing with ProMix is that it has Mycorrhizae which helps feed the plant better and the soil is very very light which makes the roots grow like crazy.

Next year I'll be trying ProMix again, but first I need to do some homework and decide how and what I want to mix.

-Walt
I'm glad to hear you are excited about everything this year. It seems like you have everything dialed in as well.

This has been my first experience with ProMix and I like it a lot. The only thing I have added to it before these last pot ups has been some kelp meal but I think the plants are going to demand more nutes at this point. Thanks for the tip on taking notes. I have made a few but probably have not done a very thorough job in that department. Lol.

Hope you have a good week!

Spicegeist said:
Plants look great!

Teurf said:
Wow Scorpion Choc has huge leaves! Nice stuff!
Thanks!

Vegas_Chili said:
Looking good Rom! When is your plant out date?

They're growing pretty fast, once they hit the dirt I bet they'll grow beastly.

:cheers:
Hey Walt, I'm hoping to plant out by mid april. I hope they are all beastly! They are growing pretty fast, I now see that I should prooooobably start about a month later than I did. I got some materials to make a cold frame at lowes this weekend so that will be my project next weekend.

This weekend I had another project in mind. This:
WRhs9jql.jpg

This bed is (was) hard red clay after the first inch or so and I have been wanting to do something about it. So I broke up all the clay and pulled some out of the bed entirely. Next I made a mix of mushroom compost, peat, blood meal, seabird guano and dolimite lime.
rDv0WsZl.jpg

I dumped 4 loads of this into the bed.
AMS19mXl.jpg

Then mixed it all in. 
vLyp6SCl.jpg

Finished product.
FLZnwLUl.jpg

Now I just have to let mother nature take her course and get everything nice and alive in there.

Pheeww. Glad that is done.

Happy Sunday everyone!

So I noticed this when I pulled out some plants to water them today. I was not paying close enough attention and a few plants were growing into the t8's. I hope it is just burnt from the lights but it kind of looks like mite damage.

ISzUGc7l.jpg

BkalJHHl.jpg

MgZFjkWl.jpg

lFE88Opl.jpg

d3ddpALl.jpg

Any ideas?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is an update on some of the other kids.

Mako Akokosrade

3FKAvOvl.jpg

Group shot of top shelf.
GICK39Xl.jpg

Brown Moruga Leaf
mc30602l.jpg

Here are the youngest of the bunch. 4 of Sawyer's Not White Yellow Bhuts, a few daisy cutters, a brain strain and a bbg7.
bLE04KTl.jpg

Overall everything is going well besides whatever that leaf damage is that I posted above and I lost a bhut indian carbon to over watering/root rot.

I'm hoping to get the kids outside in a month. I will most likely move them into a little hoop house I built in a few weeks.

Thanks for stopping by!

Rom  :cheers:

Little update....

From left to right: CGN 22091, 7 Pot Barrackpore, Trinidad Scotch Bonnet Brown
OpYZA6Fl.jpg

BJ White, BJ White, BJ Peach
m7PvbMWl.jpg

BJ Indian Carbon, Dorset Naga, Brown Moruga
7CJaUuTl.jpg

A couple of fork/flower shots. I really like how thick these stems are getting.
RCNHgP5l.jpg

drmXeLel.jpg

I'm trying to keep all the first round starts in a holding pattern for the time being. I have some that I have put next to a window because I ran out of room in the shelving. The plants at the window have gotten a little leggy but I plan to move them to a mini greenhouse i built in about a week. Once I feel safe leaving them out there over night. Time will tell. Plant out is only a few weeks away!!! :dance:

:cheers:
Rom

So I started plant out today. I got in 6 at my community garden plot and 7 at my house. I also planted two of my wilds in pots as I think they may do better in them because of their size.

Throughout the rest of the week I hope to get everything out that is ready to go. I started hardening off my next round of plants this evening. I have a few that I will keep indoors a bit longer (Sawyer's Not White Yellow Bhuts - 4, BBG 7 - 2, Yellow Daisy Cutter - 2, Aji Chuncho and Explosive Ember -2) Hopefully these will be ready to go in a few more weeks.

A few pics of the kids in their final homes.

BJIC (Topped)
iJXH093l.jpg

BJIC (Topped)
r4ydpCUl.jpg

Brown Moruga
5bqIX59l.jpg

Defcon 7
yYN47ocl.jpg

Primo Red
ToYjgYIl.jpg

White Bhut
kAiIFr4l.jpg

Reaper
6qxP1eVl.jpg

Wilds
QaS00tLl.jpg

That's it for now! I will post more this weekend after I get about 20 or so more plants in the ground. And everyone will be getting a compost tea on sunday.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cheers!

So I started plant out today. I got in 6 at my community garden plot and 7 at my house. I also planted two of my wilds in pots as I think they may do better in them because of their size.

Throughout the rest of the week I hope to get everything out that is ready to go. I started hardening off my next round of plants this evening. I have a few that I will keep indoors a bit longer (Sawyer's Not White Yellow Bhuts - 4, BBG 7 - 2, Yellow Daisy Cutter - 2, Aji Chuncho and Explosive Ember -2) Hopefully these will be ready to go in a few more weeks.

A few pics of the kids in their final homes.

BJIC (Topped)
iJXH093l.jpg

BJIC (Topped)
r4ydpCUl.jpg

Brown Moruga
5bqIX59l.jpg

Defcon 7
yYN47ocl.jpg

Primo Red
ToYjgYIl.jpg

White Bhut
kAiIFr4l.jpg

Reaper
6qxP1eVl.jpg

Wilds
QaS00tLl.jpg

That's it for now! I will post more this weekend after I get about 20 or so more plants in the ground. And everyone will be getting a compost tea on sunday.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cheers!

Dang!!!! Everything is looking awesome!!

You better warn the peeps at the community garden to don't touch those pods!! Lol!

That some "pot" you got for those wilds :D.

Can't wait to see them loaded.

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:
Dang!!!! Everything is looking awesome!!

You better warn the peeps at the community garden to don't touch those pods!! Lol!

That some "pot" you got for those wilds :D.

Can't wait to see them loaded.

-Walt
Hey Walt, yea I was thinking about putting some chicken wire or something around my plot so that no one gets an unexpected burn. There is a policy not to touch anyone else's plot but you never know. What is most likely to happen is a kid touch the pretty little pods and then get a nice surprise. LOL. 

The Reaper I planted today is from seed you sent me. Everything else you sent me is going in the ground round 2. I have a galapagoense that popped but never had coty's. The stem is still green so I am hoping that eventually there will be some action. Maybe be an overwinter for 2015. Time will tell...

I hope everything is going well out your way!

So I got all the plants out that are ready for plant out. I have a few left that will not go out for another week or so. 

MOA 
8auzT4vl.jpg

SB7J (has gotten a little ravaged by the wind)
yGhbjDKl.jpg

TS Choco (pods are already forming on this one)
wOVJUyEl.jpg

Wild Brazil
2Ik4RPxl.jpg

Primo Yellow
C0JJx8al.jpg

Aji Pineapple
iJrm0Yjl.jpg

Bengal Naga
nKvMqJIl.jpg

Brown Moruga
N8pGVGOl.jpg

TS CARDI Yellow
1ErRtmFl.jpg

TS CARDI Yellow
PYMbFQfl.jpg

That's ten. Got some more with a bump!

Dude!!!! I suspect most of those are from the seeds I sent you?

All of them are looking killer, now it's game time :D. I bet you'll be swimming in pods in no time.

That reaper is from "OchoCinco" here on THP. You might of read some of his threads or seen the reaper he grew last year. We'll that one should come out more true to type. That one should be nice to make powder or a nice sweet sauce with the reaper kick ;).

That brown moruga is from "Sick625 ", throws out nicely shaped brown morugas.

Wild Brazil is from pods Shane (Stc3248) sent me last year.

Yellow primo... A friend sent me those, the pods look wrinkled and the shape is like a moruga with a pointy tail. He says that's his favorite pepper and heat is not too overwhelming.

You done an outstanding job growing them, glad I sent the seeds on time. Sometimes sending seeds isn't my strong point but... When I get to it I really do Lol...

-Walt

Back