• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Solem 2014

Hey everyone,

Last night I dropped the first 48 seeds for the 2014 season. Over the past few weeks I have put together a grow area using t8's, metal shelving and some other make shift reflective materials I had around the house. I'm looking forward to this year as I am expanding my grow by about 4 times (I may have over done it but we will see).

Here is the home that the kids will be in for the next few months. I plan on adding more lighting on the shelve below the top one when I transfer the plants from solo cups to 1 gal containers.

wcSQTWtl.jpg

And here are the kids waiting to emerge.

cHBui6tl.jpg

Here is my current grow list. This may expand if I get some more seeds.

Aji Chuncho (CGN 22792) (Pepperlover)
Aji Limon Peru Yellow [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Bengal Naga (Buckeye Pepper Co)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Bhut Jolokia Peach  [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Bhut Jolokia Red [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Bhut Jolokia Red (My seed)
Bhut Jolokia White [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Brown Moruga [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Brown Scotch Bonnet [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
CGN 20800 [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
CGN 22091 [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
CGN 24360 [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Defcon 7 (Buckeye Pepper Co)
Dorset Naga [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Fatalii Red [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Fatalii Yellow [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Mako Akokosrade [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Tabasco (Unknown)
7 Pot Barrackpore [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Brain Strain Red [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Burgundy [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Douglah Yelllow [SIZE=10.5pt](Buckeye Pepper Co)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Jonah [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Orange [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Primo [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
7 Pot Red [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow [SIZE=10.5pt](Pepperlover)[/SIZE]
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate [SIZE=10.5pt](Buckeye Pepper Co)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]12/22/13 Additions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Aji Pineapple[/SIZE]
Carolina Reaper
Yellow Primo
Wild Brazil
Funky Reaper
Galapagoense
SBJ7
MOA

Daisy Cutter MA Yellow (Buckeye Pepper Co)
7 Pot Bubblegum (Buckeye Pepper Co)
"Not White" Yellow Bhut (Sawyer)
CAP 501

Vegas_Chili said:
Dude!!!! I suspect most of those are from the seeds I sent you?

All of them are looking killer, now it's game time :D. I bet you'll be swimming in pods in no time.

That reaper is from "OchoCinco" here on THP. You might of read some of his threads or seen the reaper he grew last year. We'll that one should come out more true to type. That one should be nice to make powder or a nice sweet sauce with the reaper kick ;).

That brown moruga is from "Sick625 ", throws out nicely shaped brown morugas.

Wild Brazil is from pods Shane (Stc3248) sent me last year.

Yellow primo... A friend sent me those, the pods look wrinkled and the shape is like a moruga with a pointy tail. He says that's his favorite pepper and heat is not too overwhelming.

You done an outstanding job growing them, glad I sent the seeds on time. Sometimes sending seeds isn't my strong point but... When I get to it I really do Lol...

-Walt
Walt, yea most of these are from seed you sent me. Out of all that you sent me, the two I am most excited about are the Aji Pineapple and the MOA (honestly, I'm excited about them all, lol). I think I grew out one of Judy's Brown Moruga's and one of what you sent me. Thanks again for sending me all these!! You will be receiving some of these pods as I agree I will have more pods than I know what to do with. Speaking of pods....

Fatalii Pod (sorry for the blurry pic)
Uqy4ggyl.jpg

TS Choco Pods
eouR03Ol.jpg

8puqk7kl.jpg

Community garden plot group shot
Gkx6i51l.jpg

So I have ran into some issues with mites at the community plot. It looks like broad mite damage from pictures I have seen posted on here. I used some mulch/compost that the city put out at our community garden and two days later half of my plants were infested. This may have just been a coincidence but I'm thinking not. I was talking to another person that has a plot there and he says that he never uses the stuff they put out. He said that the supplier does not always let it cook properly. Lesson learned. I sprayed every plant down and then rubbed it around the infected areas. If this does not work I will probably cut them back and let new growth happen. It is still early in the season.

At my house things are going much better. The few potted plants have really taken off well. The Aji Pineapple is doing the best despite a little bit of aphid damage. I think all the in-ground plants stalled a little bit because of the soil change. Its a big difference between nice fluffy Pro-Mix and NC red clay. Even if the clay has been amended but all the plants seem to have finally acclimated. The warmer night time temps are helping as well I'm sure.

My Aji Chuncho growdown contestant is not really in the running anymore. It wasn't really doing much sitting under the lights inside so I decided just to put it out and see what happens. I put a shade cloth over it so that it would not get burned. One morning when I went to check on everything I found it had been uprooted by some animal. Maybe a squirrel....it is inside a fence so I don't know what else could have gotten in there. I burried the plant back with only a few leaves showing from above. It is still alive and may pull through. Time will tell.

Here are just a few pod pics. When I get some time I will post more.

7 Pot Barrackpore Pod
uZVuotOl.jpg

Defcon 7 Pod
aahC1mql.jpg

Yellow Douglah Pod
5tD4wwfl.jpg

Sawyer's Not White Yellow Bhuts
rFlKx5gl.jpg

I hope everyone has a great week!

:cheers:

Rom

Runescape said:
Thats a pretty neat lookin pod, nice pods/plants, dude.
Thanks!

***************************************************************************************************************

Ok, so its time for an update. Things have really kicked into high gear with temps staying warm at night. I have had a few small harvests but nothing major yet. The plants at the community garden are doing awesome except for an MOA and I think it is starting to come around. A couple of plants are close to 4 feet tall at this point.

Here are a few shots of the community plot:

0cEqjoOl.jpg

zHc5OJil.jpg

1nL7kTZl.jpg

You can see the difference in size of the MOA versus the others.

At the house, the raised beds and potted plants have seen the best growth and pod production so far. 

Aji Pineapple
jnhsvYEl.jpg

Some Cayennes
oCu75Ofl.jpg

A few wilds with ripe pods.
PFZQA4jl.jpg

Aji Chuncho - Growdown Contestant (only about 8 inches tall but after what it has been through I'm just glad it is alive)
6yMNi1gl.jpg

Two BBG7
2ev4uOXl.jpg

The BBG7 are podding up nice. Definitely the long pheno
b8vuABll.jpg

OW Devils Tongue
tuJOSH1l.jpg

That's 10! Got 10 more with a bump!

AaronRiot said:
Bump! Hey looks like the issue in the com garden got sorted, good stuff, details??

Things look great, by the by.
Thanks! Yea, I went to a hydro store and picked up this stuff made by Organocide. I sprayed every plant in the garden and used rubber gloves to rub down each plant. We also got a lot of rain the next week so I think mother nature helped out a lot. My Tabasco was hit the worst so I had to trim it back a decent bit bit it seems to have bounced back too. No pods yet but there were a few flowers on her last time I was over there. I can't say for sure it was the spray or just mother nature but either way I am happy they got over them damn mites! Thanks for stopping in!

Vegas_Chili said:
Duuuude!!! Everything is looking awesome!!

You got some mad bushes going, well done.

-Walt
Thanks Walt! I feel very lucky that things have gone great overall this year. Be on the lookout for a sfrb in a few weeks!

Hey hows your plants going?? Haven't seen you post much in while...

*******************************************************************************************************************

Ok, back to visual stimuli

Two yellow daisy cutters
FBzN4uNl.jpg

Daisy cutter pod. Its a bigun!
D07T5fnl.jpg

Sawyer's NWYB
Mmkw6Fzl.jpg

Raised bed. Two Indian Carbons, Primo, Reaper, BJ White, Brown Moruga and Defcon 7
qZesq9hl.jpg

These next four pics are the bed that I did a major overhaul on the soil in february. Really hard red clay. I was not giving them any nutes to begin with but they were not going any where for a month. I gave them a few doses of seabird guano mixed in with the aact's they have been getting and they have started to show some new growth.

SB7J, MOA, Brown Moruga
WMfrEeDl.jpg

Wild Brazil, CGN 22091, Red Brain Strain
oc2FjMDl.jpg

Y Primo, Bengal Naga, Jonah
Knjhm6zl.jpg

CARDI Yellow, CARDI Yellow, Fatalii
91kKFDIl.jpg

TS Choco (Started nutes on this one. Yellowing and dropping leaves has started lately)
Bpo7mZ7l.jpg

And finally....a little harvest!
k1BrPajl.jpg

I hope everyone has a great rest of the week!

:cheers:

Rom

Vegas_Chili said:
How's everything rolling Rom?

-Walt
Hey Walt! Everything is rolling along. Starting to pick up steam like a boulder rolling down a hill. Haha. All plants except for the ones in the fence bed are loaded with pods. I found my first horn worm the other day though. That a-hole thought he could chow down on my jonah plant. He was mistaken though and was dealt with accordingly. Lol. At the community plot I am having some issue which I think is blossom end rot. Hopefully I can get that fixed soon or I will lose a fair amount of pods.

We have had a tone of rain the past few weeks. I hope everything does another growth spurt when it heats back up.

Here is that horn worm moments from the end of his pepper plant chowing life. 
qus7Lqu.jpg

And here is an example of the pod issue I have on a few....
sow3e3M.jpg

What do you think?? Is it BER or something else??

Rom, I had some weird like that happen on some red bhuts long time ago when didn't know better and planted near a Black Walnut tree. Leaves, rain falling from it around dripline onto fruits caused it. BW can cause a kind of toxicity that looks like BER, has less effect on roots of plants, as would BW with tomato plants: they just wilt and die, but if any part of juglone was not composted in City of Hickory mulch, for LONG time, could have come from the mulch. They don't separate out BW limbs from others: they can't afford to be that selective. Which is why I avoid the Morganton "free" stuff. But with that said, have or I always have, a little rot down near early pods. BER and it goes away. But never seen it on the side like that; have seen it from those bhuts planted right under BW canopy. What does it look like when you cut into it?

Hey Rom, I can't say much about the disease. Like Annie said it does look like BER but never seen it on the side.

Is it only certain plants specifically? Hope you can find the source of the problem, it's really sad to see all those pods go bad.

-Walt

rick_pitcher said:
Looks like it got charred ..crazy
Lol, I know right!

Spicegeist said:
That's a nice yellow pod, is it a yellow bhut?

Maybe the damage is from too much water?  Or pepper maggots perhaps?  Idk...
Its actually a fatalli. Several of the pods have had a longer bhut-ish shape to them. Still have the same taste and heat that a fatalli should. The damage could be from too much water. I'm afraid it is a toxicity issue as annie suggested. I have cut a few open and have not seen any sign of pests.

annie57 said:
Rom, I had some weird like that happen on some red bhuts long time ago when didn't know better and planted near a Black Walnut tree. Leaves, rain falling from it around dripline onto fruits caused it. BW can cause a kind of toxicity that looks like BER, has less effect on roots of plants, as would BW with tomato plants: they just wilt and die, but if any part of juglone was not composted in City of Hickory mulch, for LONG time, could have come from the mulch. They don't separate out BW limbs from others: they can't afford to be that selective. Which is why I avoid the Morganton "free" stuff. But with that said, have or I always have, a little rot down near early pods. BER and it goes away. But never seen it on the side like that; have seen it from those bhuts planted right under BW canopy. What does it look like when you cut into it?
Hi Annie, That would make much more sense. I spoke to one of my "neighbors" at the plot and he told me that the source of the compost is not always allowed to get to the proper temperature to get the nastys out. Life and learn I guess. It is very strange though because only five plants (fatalli, barrackpore, yellow douglah, yellow primo, dorset naga) in a particular quadrant of the plot are showing these signs. When I cut into it, it looks almost rotten at the location of the black/brown spots. There is no rotten smell though. I don't know. I will wait and see how a full flush of fruit finish out and then make a decision. Thanks for stopping by!

Vegas_Chili said:
Hey Rom, I can't say much about the disease. Like Annie said it does look like BER but never seen it on the side.

Is it only certain plants specifically? Hope you can find the source of the problem, it's really sad to see all those pods go bad.

-Walt
Hey Walt, It seems to just be one area with four plants affected. Everything else seems to be ok. I will let it ride a bit longer to see what is what. Live and learn. There is always next season! Haha

Spicy chicken had some Fatalii's that turned out like this too last year... I tried growing them this year, but I think they just need more time in the sun than I can give them.

Vegas_Chili said:
Nice pull man!! What are those white ones?

Did you ever fix the issue with those pods that were rotting?

-Walt
Thanks Walt! The white ones are White Bhuts from PL. 

I haven't fixed the problem. Honestly, I tossed about a third of this pull because of that issue. The thin flesh strains take the biggest hit. I really think it has to do with all the moisture and lower than average temps we have had the past month or so. Crazy season but just keep truckin! Hey, pm me your address again so I can send you some goodies.

Thanks Walt! The white ones are White Bhuts from PL. 

I haven't fixed the problem. Honestly, I tossed about a third of this pull because of that issue. The thin flesh strains take the biggest hit. I really think it has to do with all the moisture and lower than average temps we have had the past month or so. Crazy season but just keep truckin! Hey, pm me your address again so I can send you some goodies.

Thanks Rom!! How are the wilds you're growing?

-Walt

Back