• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

STC3248, Just Another Grow Log! Holiday Harvest!

Still waiting on the supers...but the rest are sprouted and under lights. This will be my first attempt at supers. Fingers crossed. I am so lost in the labels. I don't know how some of you keep them all straight??? I know I got most of them right...but had a couple random seeds pop up under the starter pellets...lolEdit: This was my STARTING listJalapenoBlack CobraMucho Nacho JalapenoBellPoblanoCaribbean RedChocolate HabaneroAnaheimCayenneTrinidad ScorpionBhut Jolokia Red/Yellow/Chocolate/White/PurpleFataliPequin ChiapasAmigo Diablo Bombay MorichDorset NagaLg Yellow 7 Pot7 Pot RedDouglahBishops Crownand OrnamentalsHere is the FINAL revised list! lol yeah right! Got some slow movers on here...GREEN: planted last night 3 February...didn't soak, so they may take a bit longer than normalORANGE: Planted 25 JanuaryBLUE: Planted 13 JanuaryBLACK: Planted 5 JanuaryFish 0/2Wild Brazil (Cumari) 0/2Tepin 0/2Aji Omnicolor 0/2Yellow Scotch Bonnet 0/2Goccia d'Oro 0/2Red Lantern Habanero 0/2Brain Strain 0/2Billy Boy Douglah 0/2Peruvian White Bullet Hab 0/2Kaval F-1 0/27 Pot Primo 0/27 Pot Monster Infinity 0/2Devil's Tongue Brown 0/2Bhut Jolokia Orange 0/2Black Naga 1/2Bhut Jolokia Purple 4/4 Bhut Jolokia White 4/4 Bhut Jolokia Red 4/4Bhut Jolokia Yellow 2/4 :whistle:Bhut Jolokia Chocolate 4/4 7 Pot Red 4/4 7 Pot Lg Yellow 4/4 Fatali 4/4 Chocolate Hab 4/4 Bishops Crown 4/4 Pequine 4/4 Trinidad Scorpion 3/4Established Plants:Caribbean Red x5Black Cobra x6Jalapeno x6Mucho Nacho Jalapeno x8Cayenne x6Bell x4Poblano x3Anaheim x3
SD530668.jpg
SD530717.jpg
SD530719.jpg
My 10 year old is responsible for the artwork on the cups!

Wooohooo. Looks awesome Shane! Freakin awesome of you to be willing to send stuff to people so far away. Love being a place where everyone is so willing to "pay it forward" kindness that is.

Yeah man...I know sending pods is a problem international, but I've sent powders several places and they've made it through. Hope this one makes it there.

Very nice indeed bro! That is an awesome package and it couldn't have gone to a better bunch of chiliheads. :onfire:

For now on you can only do contests for all the chiliheads out of the lower 48. I will just do inside the lower 48 ;)

Once a chili rule is in place it cannot be broken :liar:
Hmmmm...I think I may still include lower 48 in some contests, or at least make them open to all. I'm a rule breaker by nature anyway, so if you ain't cheatin you ain't trying.

Hey Shane awesome package showed up yesterday, but I didn't get home until late so I have not tried any. I didn't want to get caught up trying to eat the whole powder package and feel it today during my exam once I get done with both of my exams am going after that superman powder first.
Thanks again
DSCN0586.jpg

Glad they made it Fernando! That Superman isn't too hot. Just has a slightly hotter and longer burn. That was my first attempt...next batch I am going to really heat it up! The Manzano/Habanero may actually be a little hotter.

I kept having that Manzano powder on pizza, it was great for it. Enjoy!
My favorite way to use it too! Also a nice kicker in soups or on burgers/sandwiches!

[sub] [/sub]No replies for 2 whole days :mope:

I know man...I was only home Tuesday night this week. I've been struggling to keep up with everyone else's stuff though. Really hard to do so with the computer/phone service where I am at. I will be home tonight and hope to find some ripe ones. A little worried because I cut back on their water schedule before I left and we've had record heat all week. Hope they didn't fry!!!

Shane some of your plants look like they are on steroids!! haha! Awesome job buddy! How's it going with the virus issues? Curious if the aspirin is helping? I have so many peppers that need to be processed and although I like my small smoker, it's not so easy to do peppers in. So what does that mean? I convinced the hubby to go buy me that electric smoker today, powder is in my immediate future! :D Can't wait to see your next update, keep em coming!

Thanks Shane, I surely do appreciate that my brother. Those are some great gift packs there you winners got, I got some just like them, minus the superman and they are
DELISH! Keep up the great work Shane, I'll keep checkin' in.

E

Manzano is great on Pringles. Hahahahha. All of the ones I've gotten from Shane are hella good. I want to get a smoker so I can make some too.

Denniz
You and your pringles! Lol...still wanna try that! Get you a smoker, you won't regret it!

Shane some of your plants look like they are on steroids!! haha! Awesome job buddy! How's it going with the virus issues? Curious if the aspirin is helping? I have so many peppers that need to be processed and although I like my small smoker, it's not so easy to do peppers in. So what does that mean? I convinced the hubby to go buy me that electric smoker today, powder is in my immediate future! :D Can't wait to see your next update, keep em coming!
Virus appears to be contained to the plants I exiled to the front yard...have some other issues due to my schedule and not being able to be here every day to pamper them. All in all they are doing very well though!

The electric smoker is money well spent! So easy to set and forget! I highly recommend it!

Thanks Shane, I surely do appreciate that my brother. Those are some great gift packs there you winners got, I got some just like them, minus the superman and they are
DELISH! Keep up the great work Shane, I'll keep checkin' in.

E
I'm gonna make a batch soon...and as you will see I have some supers ripening to add to the mix, so won't be too long 'till another batch of Superman is ready!

Was really hard to stay away all week this week. The plants missed me, and went from too much to too little water I think. They're doing pretty well though and as they start to ripen I am learning that I have more "nots" the real deals out there! Some are some cool surprises though...

P1010868.jpg

These were supposed to be Scorpions...NOT! I did a taste test on one of these last week though and they REAL HOT!!! With a decent flavor so I am fine with that. Not sure exactly what the cross is, but it is definitely a super.

P1010869.jpg

This Red 7 is on a plant I believe to be true...this little pod kept chugging in spite of the stem damage that it had early on. Ripening a little small, but it's about the size of a quarter...

P1010871.jpg

P1010870.jpg

These two pics are from a plant that was supposed to be Large Yellow 7 Pots...ummm NOT! Going to try one of these later to see if they're super-hot. Dunno what it crossed with??? Maybe a Choco Hab??? These few pods look very Habish, but there are others on the plant that look more 7ish...We'll see!

P1010881.jpg

Ths little pod is on one of my in-ground 7 Pots...this one doesn't look too true either! Not tons of pods on this guy yet, so maybe its just a "first pod" issue.

P1010882.jpg

Billy Boy Douglah...NOT! I haven't tried these dudes yet either.

P1010883.jpg

Chocolate Hab...NOT! They all have very Hab-like shape though...gonna have to see if they all turn out yellow??? My first thought was I had switched the labels with the choco hab and yellow 7, but none of these pods look like 7's and there are some that look like 7's on the other plant...so very confused???

P1010877.jpg

This one may or may not be true...it was labeled "Devils Tongue Brown" I hear that they often revert back to red...Got another one of these with some MONSTER pods on it that still haven't ripened...so fingers crossed on that one.

P1010874.jpg

Really excited about this Pequin "Not" I am about to have buckets of ripe ones... :dance:
P1010875.jpg

This one is of average size for this plant...there are some that are bigger but very few smaller ones. Going to be a great addition to powders!

Bump time!!!

Bump. I'd like to see some other pod pics. Sorry you have had a lot of nots. I know quite a few varieties came from me but I was a bit of a newb last year and did't do any type of isolation. I'm gonna try to this year on some of my true varieties. I as well have a few nots from seeds from pods last year as well as some crosses from my own that seem to be interesting. A bhut thats shows both scorp and bhut pods shapes and elongated choc habs. These are 2 of a few from seeds last year. Will be interesting to see the others as they pod up.

Bump. I'd like to see some other pod pics. Sorry you have had a lot of nots. I know quite a few varieties came from me but I was a bit of a newb last year and did't do any type of isolation. I'm gonna try to this year on some of my true varieties. I as well have a few nots from seeds from pods last year as well as some crosses from my own that seem to be interesting. A bhut thats shows both scorp and bhut pods shapes and elongated choc habs. These are 2 of a few from seeds last year. Will be interesting to see the others as they pod up.
Can't complain about "nots" from a kickass bunch of free seeds! I ain't sweating it! Here are some more...
P1010872.jpg

The next round of pods on the Tepin are more Tepin sized...Still have a ton of pinhead sized ones to pick though.

P1010873.jpg

Second round finally starting to ripen on the Wild Brazil also...so many pods on my small podded ones. Going to be fun picking them all!

P1010878.jpg

P1010879.jpg

Quite a few ripening on the Not Infinity too...

P1010880.jpg

My Brains just keep getting bigger...no sign of ripening yet, but shouldn't be too much longer!

P1010884.jpg

Purple Bhut has some finally ripening too...gonna taste this guy this weekend. Most of the pods on there are more Bhut looking, these little guys were first pods.

P1010887.jpg

Had to add another stake to this Goat's Weed. and It it still drooping on all sides from the pod load...

P1010888.jpg

Several Lower branches are so loaded they're trying out their own pod induced version of LST...

P1010889.jpg

Small Harvest today...many more to pic, but I am going to leave them on a few more days to see what their colors do. In the pic are some of the Not Yellow 7's, a Not Chocolate Hab, Red 7, Small Jal, 2 tiny Tepins (found a third and picked it later) 3 Not Pequins, a Wild Brazil and some Goat's Weeds...

P1010886.jpg

Here is a not so clear pic of the Tepins...if I can get 25000 more of these I might be able to put together a few packs of powder!

Thanks for checking in everyone, much more to follow tomorrow or Sunday.
Shane

Am I late to this bump party?

manatee-bumps-into-glass.gif

Pods are looking AWESOME! I think I might have some variant of that yellow hot Jamaican you posted earlier. It's one of my mysteries....

Good to see the virus didn't take everything down! You do seem to have a lot of "Not" varieties though. How'd you manage that?

Am I late to this bump party?

manatee-bumps-into-glass.gif

Pods are looking AWESOME! I think I might have some variant of that yellow hot Jamaican you posted earlier. It's one of my mysteries....

Good to see the virus didn't take everything down! You do seem to have a lot of "Not" varieties though. How'd you manage that?
Most of my seeds were from gifts, trades or trains...nothing really isolated so no telling what color these babies are gonna be! Heat is a big question mark too! I like the mystery side of it, got some that are brand new varieties yet to me named!!! lol

Never too late for a bump...I had some critter pics yet to post so here you go! Going from gentle, to gentle predator to...kinda dangerous!
P1010891.jpg

The butterfly bush is getting mowed down by the Monarch Larvae. That's why its out there though...got dozens of caterpillars on it some very tiny and others even bigger than this dude.

P1010892.jpg

This little lady was on a mission, and kinda hard to capture, but she paused just long enough for a shot.

Last up is the dangerous one...
P1010894.jpg

Latrodectus Geometricus...or Brown Widow Spider. We have a ton of these ladies around the house. Reports vary, but they are the newest spider in the US to be considered dangerous to humans. Found from right here in Socal all the way across the South to Florida. Their origin is unclear, but most believe they immigrated here from Africa. They're closely related to the Black Widow as the red hourglass suggests...

P1010896.jpg

Here is a closeup of the topside. Reports say that their venom is anywhere from as potent, to twice as potent as Black Widow venom, but they deliver much less so their bite is usually only a small local wound.

There you go, nothing more to report today...Thanks for the bumps guys!
Shane

I've seen a few folks growing the goat weed, looks like a very interesting plant, how do the pods taste? Nice critter pics! The spider gives me the creeps though. I just have a really tough time with poisonous things...

Holy hell, that was an epic adventure going from April all the way to present! (not going to lie, I'm on my iPhone and it's 245 in the morning...I started at 130....hahaha. I skipped to the end around June 10th...lmao) loved the vids. Your kid did an awesome job recording Shane. That pepper tore your stomach up huh? I had half a giant black Naga the other day that hurt my stomach so bad I was hyperventilating for a few minutes....it made me question eating supers outright....which wa depressing....I think it ha to do with the Skoal.
I feel you on the stress and disheartening that comes from the plants getting attacked and all the work you put in to get them to where they are. My garden is a hot mess.
That wood working you have done is amazing. I love the flag holding captains wheel. I want it...bad. I love almost anything nautical.
You are one busy guy, it is awesome how much you accomplish, having a family, work and the huge garden! I give you major props my friend.
Those purple bell plants are awesome! Big things do come in small packages. I have hope for mine yet.
I ha a lot of fun going through your glog. I'll have to keep my ass up to date regularly....if your out a week on this glog you better grab a beer and get comfortable!

Hey Shane,
Tried the manzano/hab powder awesome. Everything looking great, but that sucks to hear about all the not pods, but I got you covered for most of them once they start podding up and send you seeds for the infinity and billyboy that I didn't grow. Hopefully you get the water situated by next week suppose to be getting more dry heat here in LA, but not sure over there in SD. Lol dang that a crazy spider pic that why I hate sometimes sticking my hand in area where I cant see especially in the corner area where my TS green is at.

I've seen a few folks growing the goat weed, looks like a very interesting plant, how do the pods taste? Nice critter pics! The spider gives me the creeps though. I just have a really tough time with poisonous things...
I'll post a couple Goat's Weed full plant pics in a minute. They are a really cool looking plant. Upright treelike growth with hundreds of jet black pods. I pulled the red ripe ones yesterday, so the pic isn't as interesting as it would be with the added contrast. Plant is as fuzzy as most pubescents but it is an annuum. Flavor is similar to a cayenne, but not quite as sweet. Dries very easily and makes great powder. One of my absolute favorites and a permanent name on my grow list! I have some clean seeds for these so say the word my friend!

Holy hell, that was an epic adventure going from April all the way to present! (not going to lie, I'm on my iPhone and it's 245 in the morning...I started at 130....hahaha. I skipped to the end around June 10th...lmao) loved the vids. Your kid did an awesome job recording Shane. That pepper tore your stomach up huh? I had half a giant black Naga the other day that hurt my stomach so bad I was hyperventilating for a few minutes....it made me question eating supers outright....which wa depressing....I think it ha to do with the Skoal.
I feel you on the stress and disheartening that comes from the plants getting attacked and all the work you put in to get them to where they are. My garden is a hot mess.
That wood working you have done is amazing. I love the flag holding captains wheel. I want it...bad. I love almost anything nautical.
You are one busy guy, it is awesome how much you accomplish, having a family, work and the huge garden! I give you major props my friend.
Those purple bell plants are awesome! Big things do come in small packages. I have hope for mine yet.
I ha a lot of fun going through your glog. I'll have to keep my ass up to date regularly....if your out a week on this glog you better grab a beer and get comfortable!

Hey 3/5!!! Wow, I am honored! Thanks for all the kind words and props. I am one of those folks that isn't happy unless I am doing something. I also know I am an over-updater, but there are so many new and different discoveries out there every day. Been following your garden woes and successes too. Wish I had some good advice for you, but the Guru is on it...so you're in good hands! Will post a couple of pics of my organic area for you!

Hey Shane,
Tried the manzano/hab powder awesome. Everything looking great, but that sucks to hear about all the not pods, but I got you covered for most of them once they start podding up and send you seeds for the infinity and billyboy that I didn't grow. Hopefully you get the water situated by next week suppose to be getting more dry heat here in LA, but not sure over there in SD. Lol dang that a crazy spider pic that why I hate sometimes sticking my hand in area where I cant see especially in the corner area where my TS green is at.
Fernando my man! Just got back from your Glog...nice updates! I am not worried about the nots...adds to the mystery and adventure of it! Most of the plants have shown their true colors, but there are still a couple more out there yet to change. Think I got my first Brain shifting now...I will vid that one for sure. They look PAINFUL! I will hit you up for seeds for next year later on. I know I am not ever going to be hurting for seeds with all my great friends on here! No sign of disease issues in a while. I may try to grow a few out next year from the ones I like to see if they come out clean, but I will start them last and keep them in the front yard 'till I know they're healthy. I can soak them in trisodium phosphate which will help also. They only ones I want to start are some of the "Nots" I find most interesting. I really like my "Not" Infinities and Fish Pepper and the Not 7 yellow that came out brown was really good with dinner last night. Can't get more seeds for the crosses and I would like to see how future "f" generations come out.

Here are some pics from today!
P1010900.jpg

Goat's Weed not the best pic, a little bright out there!

P1010901.jpg

Another Goat's Weed in the center of one of my large containers. In front is a Aji Omnicolor to the right is a Peruvian White Hab, to the left a Tepin and behind a Wild Brazil...need to do some pruning in there! I trimmed back the Aji last weekend...

P1010902.jpg

Here's my other Aji Omnicolor in the other large planter...cant really see much of the other plants in there, but just behind the Aji and on the left you can see several pods on a Jamaican Hot Yellow...and until I looked at this pic I didn't realize there was a ripe one under there!

P1010908.jpg

Here is my newest garden going organic! Full of mushrooms every morning...and the plants are already taking off! The 6 Mucho Nachos have already started setting fruit...and some of those fruits are BIG!!! The Pequin center stage is covered in flowers and growing like a weed! Hopefully this one is true...better be since it was purchased.

New additions...
P1010907.jpg

Datil and Superscorp the greyish area directly between are the remnants of the daily shrooms that come up...

P1010904.jpg

Chaparita Yellow and PI 438658

P1010905.jpg

and finally a Romy6 Mystery Annuum!!! Woot!

P1010909.jpg

Here is the weekly update of the Organic spot...Crazy!!!

P1010899.jpg

This morning's Harvest...Only 1 super lower right is a Purple Bhut...

P1010903.jpg

Finally, most of my Sunflowers have run their course...So I am hanging them to dry, and Porter is supervising!

Thanks for checkin in everyone. Hot/Super harvest pics tomorrow. I got to get out and stake a bunch of plants.
Have a great weekend!
Shane

Wow another great harvest dang looks like I am going to be playing catch up with you and melissa on the pod count. O how did the purple bhut turn out any difference from the regular bhut besides the awesome pod color before ripeness and foliage. I will start some intentional crosses soon once all the plants deicde to join the flower party. That is one huge sunflower. Can not wait to see the harvest pics awesome job with everything.

So...a great weekend went bad today. Got out early only to figure out that all the plants I thought were having a hard time with the water schedule are actually sick...I am done dealing with it, and I am just gonna let them sink or swim. My sick Jals out front look pretty ugly, but they're still pumping out the pods so I'm just gonna see what happens.

Decided to try a little experiment. Yesterday I took the temps of some of my containers, and it was near 125 on the sunny side just inside the plastic. I used some small white garbage bags to make some container koozies. I just did a few yesterday and went out this afternoon to take the temps again and the results..
P1010933.jpg

Here are the test pots...

P1010911.jpg

Temp in the non-covered pot.

P1010932.jpg

Temp in the covered pot...still HOT, but much better. This was in the heat of the day on the sunny side of the container just inside the plastic. So...

P1010934.jpg

I covered them all...you can see that the bottom is open they are just wrapped around and taped, so they can still drain just fine. We'll see if it makes a difference!

Good news/bad news from the Brain Strain!
P1010926.jpg

Good news is I got one coloring up and its the right color! Bad news is...this one has the funk. Hope it makes the rest of the season. This pod is one of the first, so it doesn't have the best Brain shape, but it's plenty big and I am certain HOT!!! Maybe the added stress of the disease will make my pods hotter!

Another good new/bad news situation a few plants down the way...Good news is my Yellow Fatalii is showing some color!!!
P1010927.jpg

Bad news is its not Yellow! Lol....

P1010928.jpg

This one is supposed to be a large Yellow 7...looks like it may be true! Which is great because my other Yellow 7 decided to be Chocolate instead!

P1010929.jpg

Black Naga is going the right direction also!

P1010931.jpg

Harvest shot...whole lotta NOTs and a few real deals...

P1010925.jpg

Read about this one here...

Hope everyone had a great weekend...gonna be away from the garden for a week again...ughhh. See you guys next weekend!
Shane

Well if there is one GLog that is the one you wanna read through the last week's post on a Sunday night, it is definitely yours. Been out of town and haven't been able to do much in the way of reading (too busy doing case studies on Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck, the IRA, and China). But I gotta tell you, there is a ton of great info from the past week! Isn't it crazy seen all the pods, poppin out in colors and shapes that you didn't expect?? I am in the same boat, it is like a crazy game each time I head outside. Also, wait till the White/Peach/Light color pods are poppin out, then there is a whole new game of Wait, is that the final color? Is it Supposed to be White? What is that little color in the corner?? :banghead: But it seems like you are doing just fine by way of ripe-age.

On the whole Brown Widow thing, I just read an article about how the Brown Widow is taking over the Black Widow's turf. Some scientists think that it is in fact the lesser of two evils (based on the whole less venom at bite). Pretty crazy though, damn spiders!

Tis the year of the "Not"....... Atleast they were freebies and hopefully you can get some good tasting ones out of the fiasco. This is a "growing" theme for you,myself and numerous others. It isn't the end of the world but when it is a specific one that you want to grow more than anything, it pisses you off. I still say that seed mix-ups are 90% of the issue. The other 10% are a mix of crosses,and renaming peppers that have the slightest different shape than perfect specimens seen online. Never heard of the Brown Widow before,time for some research! Crikey...don't muck wit em Steve-O.

Man that is some serious updating brotha. I love how great all your plants are doing. And I am very excited about my mystery plant. You are the first one to ever grow the seeds from it. But it looks so tiny next to the drip hose :rofl: . Hopefully it will hit the 7 foot mark in about 364 days ;)

Now I guess I will head to the store and get some white fabric. I would hate to put a temp gauge on my plants :confused:

Back