• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

STC3248, Just Another Grow Log! Holiday Harvest!

Still waiting on the supers...but the rest are sprouted and under lights. This will be my first attempt at supers. Fingers crossed. I am so lost in the labels. I don't know how some of you keep them all straight??? I know I got most of them right...but had a couple random seeds pop up under the starter pellets...lolEdit: This was my STARTING listJalapenoBlack CobraMucho Nacho JalapenoBellPoblanoCaribbean RedChocolate HabaneroAnaheimCayenneTrinidad ScorpionBhut Jolokia Red/Yellow/Chocolate/White/PurpleFataliPequin ChiapasAmigo Diablo Bombay MorichDorset NagaLg Yellow 7 Pot7 Pot RedDouglahBishops Crownand OrnamentalsHere is the FINAL revised list! lol yeah right! Got some slow movers on here...GREEN: planted last night 3 February...didn't soak, so they may take a bit longer than normalORANGE: Planted 25 JanuaryBLUE: Planted 13 JanuaryBLACK: Planted 5 JanuaryFish 0/2Wild Brazil (Cumari) 0/2Tepin 0/2Aji Omnicolor 0/2Yellow Scotch Bonnet 0/2Goccia d'Oro 0/2Red Lantern Habanero 0/2Brain Strain 0/2Billy Boy Douglah 0/2Peruvian White Bullet Hab 0/2Kaval F-1 0/27 Pot Primo 0/27 Pot Monster Infinity 0/2Devil's Tongue Brown 0/2Bhut Jolokia Orange 0/2Black Naga 1/2Bhut Jolokia Purple 4/4 Bhut Jolokia White 4/4 Bhut Jolokia Red 4/4Bhut Jolokia Yellow 2/4 :whistle:Bhut Jolokia Chocolate 4/4 7 Pot Red 4/4 7 Pot Lg Yellow 4/4 Fatali 4/4 Chocolate Hab 4/4 Bishops Crown 4/4 Pequine 4/4 Trinidad Scorpion 3/4Established Plants:Caribbean Red x5Black Cobra x6Jalapeno x6Mucho Nacho Jalapeno x8Cayenne x6Bell x4Poblano x3Anaheim x3
SD530668.jpg
SD530717.jpg
SD530719.jpg
My 10 year old is responsible for the artwork on the cups!

I'll post a couple Goat's Weed full plant pics in a minute. They are a really cool looking plant. Upright treelike growth with hundreds of jet black pods. I pulled the red ripe ones yesterday, so the pic isn't as interesting as it would be with the added contrast. Plant is as fuzzy as most pubescents but it is an annuum. Flavor is similar to a cayenne, but not quite as sweet. Dries very easily and makes great powder. One of my absolute favorites and a permanent name on my grow list! I have some clean seeds for these so say the word my friend!

P1010900.jpg

Goat's Weed not the best pic, a little bright out there!

I might have to take you up on that offer - they look pretty cool, and if they are a good one to powder along the lines of a cayenne, then I think I'm sold. Thanks once again for your generosity!

Wow, Shane, I had to read through the past three and a half weeks' worth
of posts to get caught up - it took me all day today! You are the perfect
example of grace under fire, my friend. Your grow is looking good despite
the ups and downs. If my pepps do half as well as yours, I'll be more than
happy! I keep walking on egg shells waiting for some virus or bac infection
to strike. I feel your pain on the drip watering schedules. It's sometimes
tricky getting them dialed in. I hope your plants were really having water
issues, and not sick.

i got your goats weed and they growing nicely so far

this one is in my ghetto kit, sowed june 16
IMG_0705.jpg

and this one is came from the ghetto kit also but transferred to soil after she germinated
IMG_0713.jpg

they have a big big big difference from growing, ghetto kit grows like crazy and the one on the soil takes her time

Well if there is one GLog that is the one you wanna read through the last week's post on a Sunday night, it is definitely yours. Been out of town and haven't been able to do much in the way of reading (too busy doing case studies on Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck, the IRA, and China). But I gotta tell you, there is a ton of great info from the past week! Isn't it crazy seen all the pods, poppin out in colors and shapes that you didn't expect?? I am in the same boat, it is like a crazy game each time I head outside. Also, wait till the White/Peach/Light color pods are poppin out, then there is a whole new game of Wait, is that the final color? Is it Supposed to be White? What is that little color in the corner?? :banghead: But it seems like you are doing just fine by way of ripe-age.

On the whole Brown Widow thing, I just read an article about how the Brown Widow is taking over the Black Widow's turf. Some scientists think that it is in fact the lesser of two evils (based on the whole less venom at bite). Pretty crazy though, damn spiders!
Thanks Matt...lucky for you I have been kinda chill on the updates by my standards...really freakin busy! Had a couple big Ordnance Certifications this week and we've been ramping up for a while in prep. I only have one real white variety, which is a couple peruvian white habs. Its a fun time for sure out there! I actually made it home last night to check things out and had some really nice surprises out there.

Tis the year of the "Not"....... Atleast they were freebies and hopefully you can get some good tasting ones out of the fiasco. This is a "growing" theme for you,myself and numerous others. It isn't the end of the world but when it is a specific one that you want to grow more than anything, it pisses you off. I still say that seed mix-ups are 90% of the issue. The other 10% are a mix of crosses,and renaming peppers that have the slightest different shape than perfect specimens seen online. Never heard of the Brown Widow before,time for some research! Crikey...don't muck wit em Steve-O.
I am beginning to wonder if I didn't somehow mix up one of my Chocolate Habs and a Yellow 7. I was pretty meticulous with my labels/tags this season, but nobody's perfect. That would explain 2 of my "nots" but some of them are definitely crosses or mutations. I am very pleased with the not Infinity I have. Very sweet and extremely hot for a yellow pod. The not Fatalii looks promising too. Intended to try one of them last night, but I only got through one of the Yellow 7's then a small to medium Brain...story to follow.

Man that is some serious updating brotha. I love how great all your plants are doing. And I am very excited about my mystery plant. You are the first one to ever grow the seeds from it. But it looks so tiny next to the drip hose :rofl: . Hopefully it will hit the 7 foot mark in about 364 days ;)

Now I guess I will head to the store and get some white fabric. I would hate to put a temp gauge on my plants :confused:
I do go kinda crazy on the weekends! The plants are all kicking! Even the sick ones seem to have figured it out, and although they slowed down a bit on growth and production, they are all stepping it back up in spite of the Mottle Virus. Everyone's stuff looks tiny next to my drip hose...so don't be ashamed of your little mystery! Hope that guy does do well. I will have to move it if it gets too big in that little garden. Hope it grows true!

Dang Shane that is high I don't know if you already have mulch, but you could try adding that to the top layer http://www.wvu.edu/~...ource/mulch.htm number 5 hopefully you get that worked out would hate to see the summer ruin your plants. I am considering doing the temp gauage now to see the difference between the fabric and pots.
I do have composted mulch around the top of all the containers to try to retain moisture, but they were still really cooking in there. The plastic is helping out and I may actually double it up this weekend to see if it gets any better. Let me know how the comparison goes between the fabric and plastic, may help me decide which way to go next season.

The rest of the replies will have to wait 'till later...gotta go to work!

Glad everyone received their care packages and Andy you got the seeds...lemme dig them up for you and I'll get them out! Thanks for the update on the Goat's Weed Pinoy! Those babies will really shoot up quick and be loaded with pods for you and Paul in no time. My two remaining plants are pumping out the pods at an amazing rate. I think I picked 25 off one plant yesterday and it is still slumping from the weight of the hundreds more on there. Each of them is going to be my own personal powder factory!
You have some nice plants & pods outhere my friend :lol:
I sure feel blessed with how well they are doing in spite of the disease/temp/pest issues I'm having. They are all continuing to set pods in spite of it all by the dozen each week. I think all the soil trial and error along with all my other experiments is really paying off. Thank you!

Wow, Shane, I had to read through the past three and a half weeks' worth
of posts to get caught up - it took me all day today! You are the perfect
example of grace under fire, my friend. Your grow is looking good despite
the ups and downs. If my pepps do half as well as yours, I'll be more than
happy! I keep walking on egg shells waiting for some virus or bac infection
to strike. I feel your pain on the drip watering schedules. It's sometimes
tricky getting them dialed in. I hope your plants were really having water
issues, and not sick.
Hopefully no nasties come your way Paul. I wouldn't wish them on anybody. Really sucks putting in all the time, effort, love and attention only to get pimp slapped by some BS disease. Had me pretty down for a bit I'm not gonna kid anyone about that, still sucks but I am trying to focus on the good stuff out there. I can't win for losing on the drip schedule. I am not home enough to get it really dialed in. When I got home yesterday all my container plants were really looking sad and were light as a feather. I am going to have to go back to twice a day for sure. Gave them a little drink and they perked right up though. Thanks for checking in brother!

So I made it back in time to snap a few pics and pamper them a bit as well as pull some pods...
P1010980.jpg

Red 7...

P1010981.jpg

Not Scorpion...

P1010982.jpg

Yellow Bhut...

P1010983.jpg

Not Yellow Fatalii...these guys finish up orange so I think it definitely a cross...

a few gnarly Primos...
P1010984.jpg

P1010985.jpg

P1010987.jpg

Had this guy labeled Chocolate Hab...think its a yellow 7??? Some of the newer/larger pods are more 7ish.

P1010989.jpg

A few Manzanos...They took forever to start setting, and now there are hundreds of these little dudes! Can't wait to quit having to buy these expensive babies!

P1010988.jpg

Brain Strain...this one is pretty close to done cooking. I pulled one and sampled it yesterday story to follow. Most of them are really nice looking, this one was one of its first pod and doesn't have a great shape, but it's plenty big!

P1010991.jpg

The harvest shot...1 Brain, Yellow 7's, Red 7's, Scorps, Fatalii, Infinities, Black Naga, not Douglah, Chocolate, White and Yellow Bhuts, Chocolate Habs, Pequin, Wild Brazil, Jals and Goat's weed...I ate a Yellow 7 and then the Brain with dinner. Don't have time now to put the time into the description of the experience that it deserves so stand by for that later today! Weekend is getting close!

Thanks for looking in!
Shane

Pods look awesome Shane! Loving your attitude about all that has gone down. You're setting a good example for me as I try to stay positive about my issues. Keep on persevering my friend and keep up the great harvests!

Love the pod shots! And yeah that one looks more yellow 7 than chocolate hab. Those primos blow me away. Hadn't seen them until some of you guys' glogs I follow started posting them. What a mean looking pepper! That'll be a fun one to watch you eat and review ;) ! Glad to see those manzanos coming in for you. My Red Rocotos aren't far off from ripening. I love those plants.

Anyway - still looking great as usual! And thanks for the seed offer - that goat's weed looks like a really cool plant.

Lookin' good Shane. You going to make any spaghetti sauce to freeze for the winter?
Thanks! Yes...if I can keep whatever critter is eating my Tomatoes away long enough to pull a few good harvests I am going to cook some up for sure!

Pods look awesome Shane! Loving your attitude about all that has gone down. You're setting a good example for me as I try to stay positive about my issues. Keep on persevering my friend and keep up the great harvests!
Not going to lie...I've had some pretty depressing moments out there, but there have been more victories than defeats thus far. Hope I can keep 'em going to finish out the season. The real bummer is not being able to trust my seeds for next season. I have been doing a ton of research on Trisodium Phosfate soaks that may work, but I don't know if its worth risking another outbreak. The other bad part is not only is it seed borne but soil as well, so I may have to go all container next season.

So I promised the story on the pods I sampled last night...
I sat down to eat dinner (Chili) and put down about half my meal before I tried the first pod (Yellow 7) a few hiccups and some sweat, but relatively uneventful...ate a bit more of my dinner and decided to go for the Brain next...I ate it (whole) and chewed for the customary 30 seconds then swallowed. OMFG! Taste was actually good by super standards but my digestive system almost instantly tried to reject the hell I was eating. I forced it down and sat back in my chair for the ride I knew was coming. Hiccups started almost instantly. Not like most of the vids I've done. I think they may actually have matched my heart rate. Never experienced anything like that before! The heat continued to build as did my body's full on rejection. Sweat and tears poured from my face and an uncontrollable flow of snot started from both nostrils. All other pods I've sampled I was able to keep up with the sniffles, tears and sweat with a towel, however this time I could not wipe up or off everything my head was spewing out fast enough. I then started to shake. Not a light tremble but entire body convulsive tremmors. My wife asked me if I was ok for the first time during all my silly pepper eating episodes. My entire tounge was burning as never before. Throat was terrible also, and I could feel the gut burn in spite of a good preemtive feed. The shaking was still there, I could no longer speak, my face went numb and I could even feel the burn in my eardrums??? I got up and walked outside and tried to compose myself...after the craziest 12 minute ride of my life I came back in to finish my meal. The burn had subsided for the most part at that point, but it continued to burn here and there for HOURS.

The throne this morning was not my friend either. I don't usually have any issues the following day, but this time I did. My stomach handled the pod pretty well, and I never really felt anything but a mild burn in the gut. This pod wasn't "small" but I have pods on there 5x that size...I am scared. I plan to do a video review which should be interesting to say the least...if after that crazy ride I can muster up the courage.

Thanks for reading my book...lol. Hopefully it gives a pretty good idea of what I went through.
Shane

Love the pod shots! And yeah that one looks more yellow 7 than chocolate hab. Those primos blow me away. Hadn't seen them until some of you guys' glogs I follow started posting them. What a mean looking pepper! That'll be a fun one to watch you eat and review ;) ! Glad to see those manzanos coming in for you. My Red Rocotos aren't far off from ripening. I love those plants.

Anyway - still looking great as usual! And thanks for the seed offer - that goat's weed looks like a really cool plant.
Thanks Andy! The Primos look very mean for sure...can't wait to give one a ride! I'm a long way from ripe on most of the Manzanos...I have 2 or 3 that may turn soon.

Wow!!! That was intense!

I've never eaten a super, so I'm probably way off track here, but do you think eating the Yellow 7 right before the Brain might have heightened your body's response? It's just when I sample peppers as I am processing them, I've found that after I've had a relatively hot one, that my response to even milder ones right afterwards is somewhat elevated.

Wow!!! That was intense!

I've never eaten a super, so I'm probably way off track here, but do you think eating the Yellow 7 right before the Brain might have heightened your body's response? It's just when I sample peppers as I am processing them, I've found that after I've had a relatively hot one, that my response to even milder ones right afterwards is somewhat elevated.
Hey Bonnie!
I really don't know for sure. It is usually just the opposite for me though. Once I have eaten something hot and the body responds by putting out the endorphin rush, everything that follows is usually better, Kind of like the first few hot wings are the only ones that really burn and after that its kind of cruise control. I think there is a distinct possibility I overloaded the system with this combo though. Next time I eat a Brain it will be the first and ONLY pod I eat, so we'll see if the reaction is different!

Nice mix with the harvest.........Those tomatoes are HUGE!

Wow, that stinger on that gnarly pod reminds me of a 50's sci-fi movie........

Nice work sir! Getting back to how awesome these Primo's are.... Tuesday after work I was leaving town and thought I should try a ripe Primo. You know the early,weird shaped pods that grow small and are thick walled? The ones that shouldn't be hot.... I proceed to bite it in half...it was small yah know. 3 or 4 chews in... My neck... sweet Lord my neck!!!!! I'm sitting indian style, 99° and 70% humidity. As I am dry heaving, I decide to suck on the garden hose for a bit. You know how nasty candy corn is, but you always try one every holiday expecting something different? Hose didn't work obviously. After the panic subsided I decide it was time to get on with my 70 mile drive. About 20 miles in it was the guts turn. Nowhere to run,or hide. No fetal position on the intetstate....just cramped,white knuckles! Doc...can I get that epidural now? I changed my mind on the natural child birth. Beware the Primo!!!

Egads, Pr0d, what can I say?

Thanks for the update on the Goat's Weed Pinoy! Those babies will really shoot up quick and be loaded with pods for you and Paul in no time.
I can't wait to try some of them.
The little plant is really growing and branching!
I can't win for losing on the drip schedule. I am not home enough to get it really dialed in. When I got home yesterday all my container plants were really looking sad and were light as a feather. I am going to have to go back to twice a day for sure. Gave them a little drink and they perked right up though. Thanks for checking in brother!
Right on bro. I have found that watering one minute every eight
hours with my 1/4" soaker hoses keeps the pots moist without
getting soggy or drying out. I back off to 2x a day or ramp up
to every 6 hours as need dictates, but the 1 minute every 8 hours
has been the best so far - the plants are really taking off.
I ate a Yellow 7 and then the Brain with dinner. Don't have time now to put the time into the description of the experience that it deserves so stand by for that later today! Weekend is getting close!
Okay that is the scariest review you have done yet! Man, you may
have grace under fire, but you are a glutton for punishment!
Thanks for looking in!
Shane

I guess I was late for the party this time great harvest once again. That great review on the yellow 7 killer pod but now that the supers are podding up for me let me know if something intrigues you. Dang still having issues with the watering that sucks hopefully 2 a day works out. The pods look great, but best overall characteristics has to be the 7 pod primo. So the white bhut turns red dang that is a bummer, but still amazing pepper.

Nice mix with the harvest.........Those tomatoes are HUGE!

Wow, that stinger on that gnarly pod reminds me of a 50's sci-fi movie........
Thanks Greg...Honored by your visit Oh Great One! They are definitely trippy looking pods. Kinda on the small side, but hopefully follow on rounds will be a little bigger. I haven't taken a very close look at my other Primo plant. Its boxed in behind a HUGE Bishop's Crown, Goccia D'Oro and a Devil's Tongue...I will try to crawl in there this weekend to see what those pods look like???

Nice work sir! Getting back to how awesome these Primo's are.... Tuesday after work I was leaving town and thought I should try a ripe Primo. You know the early,weird shaped pods that grow small and are thick walled? The ones that shouldn't be hot.... I proceed to bite it in half...it was small yah know. 3 or 4 chews in... My neck... sweet Lord my neck!!!!! I'm sitting indian style, 99° and 70% humidity. As I am dry heaving, I decide to suck on the garden hose for a bit. You know how nasty candy corn is, but you always try one every holiday expecting something different? Hose didn't work obviously. After the panic subsided I decide it was time to get on with my 70 mile drive. About 20 miles in it was the guts turn. Nowhere to run,or hide. No fetal position on the intetstate....just cramped,white knuckles! Doc...can I get that epidural now? I changed my mind on the natural child birth. Beware the Primo!!!
Been there done that buddy...ughh. Was only a Manzano, but it ended with a near puke episode and an emergency stop for a Sub Sandwich and some Milk. Thanks for sharing...gave me a sick to my stomach feeling as I read your episode.

Paul...those peppers are wonderful and the plants are really cool looking. That pepper was no joke...I took a very small pod to work yesterday because a guy just had to try one. He chickened out, but another guy said Eff-it. I videoed it but I'm not gonna share it. He started off the vid with an "Its not so bad!" and ended it with "Bad idea!" and a full trashcan...Nuff said. Thanks for dropping by buddy, I know your busy with life happenings.

I guess I was late for the party this time great harvest once again. That great review on the yellow 7 killer pod but now that the supers are podding up for me let me know if something intrigues you. Dang still having issues with the watering that sucks hopefully 2 a day works out. The pods look great, but best overall characteristics has to be the 7 pod primo. So the white bhut turns red dang that is a bummer, but still amazing pepper.
You're always right on time Fernando! It wasn't the Yellow 7 that got me...I ate that one first, then ate a Brain Strain...to quote my coworker..."Bad Idea!" I have a ton I haven't tried yet but if I run out of fun I'll give you a shout!

Gorgeous harvest and those plants look like little green pepper genius'. ahahaaaa.
Hey lady! Long time no hear...they are doing well in spite of the sickness. Thanks for stopping in!

Well came home and now MOST of the plants are ill. I have given up the fight, I am now at the mercy of the disease. Its really just hitting most of them with the ugly stick and slowing their production down a little. They're still pumping out the pods though, so I am content. Here are some pics and a video from last night and this morning.
P1020001.jpg

Fatalii...ish

P1020003.jpg

Choco Hab...ish

P1020010.jpg

Mottle Virus making the Purple Bhut pods...mottled.

P1020011.jpg

Another...

Few Jals
P1020009.jpg

P1020008.jpg

Critter
P1020006.jpg

Mantis Ninja!

P1020012.jpg

Today's Harvest!!! :party: :woohoo:

Here's a video tour of most of the garden...I tried the anti-shake feature on youtube with this one...and it got blurry in places.
I'm off to my son's football uniform/equipment day. Thanks for stopping in!
Shane

Back