• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by guys!
Cool! you're getting rain AND it's warm!
Hi Scott
Unfortunately, not much longer according to the extended forecast. They're predicting sun on Sunday and Monday, and overnight lows in the upper 20's and low 30's... :tear: I'll have to put the plastic back on the hoophouses before Sunday night, but I'll soak up as much natural rain as possible.

Glad to see all the flowers, Rick. Have you noticed any vertical growth since the plants got put in-ground, or are they still figuring out their new surroundings?

Love the Chinese 5-color. It is probably one of my favorite overall varieties, especially for the cool and unique factors.
Hi Doc
I've seen some, but mostly it's the primary nodes forking. They're all soaking up all that rain and looking much happier!

The C5C is growing strongly... it's over a foot tall and beginning to pump out the blossoms in a small way. The other purple ornamental dropped all of its side leaves, but the primary node and stem are still alive. I guess it got shocked when I planted it outside, but it looks like it'll still survive.
SANY0778_zps424fa533.jpg

Things are still looking great stickman. I love your hoophouse - I have been trying to figure out how to do a little hoophouse over my 8x4 bed but haven't figured out how to work around the fence.
Hey Ben
I think one would work well for you up in Minnesota. Any pics of your 8x4 bed?

Lourens! Sounds like you're still working your fingers to the bone dealing with your harvest this year. I'll bet you and Caroline are looking forward to a little down-time, eh?

Made another dawn patrol to check on the chiles... The Koreans are almost all in blossom, but no surprise since they were about this time last year. I think the Omnicolors are going to be the first to ripen. The biggest pods on them are about an inch and three quarters long already... I'm just waiting for them to color up to sample the first pods of the season.
SANY0776_zps5815f943.jpg

The other Omnicolor was planted about 3 weeks after the first, and has just started setting pods
SANY0777_zps3bef5e85.jpg

One of the Ochsenhorn chiles has put on a growth spurt... the other one is half the size of this one
SANY0779_zps2765ef8d.jpg

The Manzano forked twice and seems to be working on leaves more than flower buds
SANY0780_zps46446b96.jpg

and the Red Rocoto finally forked as well
SANY0781_zps71a3b102.jpg

Now that it finally got enough water, the variegated Chilhuacle Negro has plumped up and lost the leaf-burnt appearance
SANY0784_zps5a63c364.jpg

The Aji Panca's are both going to be monsters! I hope they're getting big so they produce lots of pods...
SANY0785_zps9fe2486f.jpg

The Urfa Biber's are also growing fairly quickly, and have forked as well
SANY0786_zps7bb85a54.jpg

Have a great weekend all!

Rick sad to read you'll be getting 20s & 30s :/ Can you bring the pots in? And will the in-grounds hold up fine under the hoop house? I know so little about how you guys do this up north but it's so interesting to read about it and in the end you end up with beautiful pods ... guess it's worth all the extra work you guys have to do \o/

On the other hand, we only have to deal with extreme heat, torrential rain storms and the occasional hurricane, hehehe. May the warmth be with you & da peppers brethren :)

Rick sad to read you'll be getting 20s & 30s :/ Can you bring the pots in? And will the in-grounds hold up fine under the hoop house? I know so little about how you guys do this up north but it's so interesting to read about it and in the end you end up with beautiful pods ... guess it's worth all the extra work you guys have to do \o/

On the other hand, we only have to deal with extreme heat, torrential rain storms and the occasional hurricane, hehehe. May the warmth be with you & da peppers brethren :)
Actually, I never put the pots outside Ramon. They're in the cellar under artificial light. I'm deffo hedging that bet! LOL!
Thanks for the good word... I appreciate the vibe mon.

I thought maybe I could run some rebar stakes down the inside corners and make my pvc frame that way. I don't see an easy way to get access to everything though without pulling the fence down. I stapled it to the box sides, but I might want to pull it down at the end of the growing season to make it easier to plant next spring.

IMG_20130507_181054_169_zpse8a1389c.jpg

The only thing I have the raised beds for are miscellaneous greens/herbs (they grow better) and carrots. Most of the greens get planted a couple times durig the year and it would be nice to be able to extend the fresh produce into late fall/early winter. All of my peppers go right in the ground.

I thought maybe I could run some rebar stakes down the inside corners and make my pvc frame that way. I don't see an easy way to get access to everything though without pulling the fence down. I stapled it to the box sides, but I might want to pull it down at the end of the growing season to make it easier to plant next spring.

The only thing I have the raised beds for are miscellaneous greens/herbs (they grow better) and carrots. Most of the greens get planted a couple times durig the year and it would be nice to be able to extend the fresh produce into late fall/early winter. All of my peppers go right in the ground.

I think I'd do it a little different Ben.. instead of rebar in the corners, I'd use the sheet metal fasteners that secure electrical conduit to walls fastened to the inside of the box.
http://www.google.co...=19&tx=63&ty=62

Once you have the hoops secured in place you can securely fasten the sheet poly/shade cloth/agricultural fabric with snap clamps sized for the PVC or EMT you're using.
http://www.globalind...fittings-101548

Looking good Rick. The stalks on your plants are thick. Your gonna have pods up to your ears in no time :dance:
Thanks Jamie... from your mouth to God's ear, eh? I'd be doing more in the garden this weekend if we weren't expecting 3 days of freezing overnight temperatures starting tomorrow night. I think I'll be taking the grill out this weekend though... I'll keep ya posted on the results of that.

the Dawn Patrol is back up and running,"Scouts Out!!" :)

Looking good Rick, glad to see you finally got hem in the dirt.

Have a great weekend
Thanks Bill, I've got the forward observers out... they'll be on the horn with a fire mission when they're in place... ;)

Sorry to hear colder weather is swinging on by.

I think your plants will do fine, the hoop keeps any frost off them and should help hold in the heat.

Hang in there bud!
Hi Scott, I'm not worried... I just left the hoops in place when I took the sheet poly off to take advantage of the rain and warm temps. I'll get the poly back on tomorrow during the day so I can button them up at night. The long range forecast says we'll be back in the low-mid 40's by Wednesday, so hopefully this is winter's last hurrah...

We are getting the same cold system passing through later this weekend, with temps near freezing overnight for at least 3 straight nights.
Hi Stefan, I hear ya brother... it's just another d@#% thing... fortunately not everything bad at once, eh?

I made corn tortillas, rice, refried beans and chicken fajitas for supper last night, so breakfast this morning was huevos rancheros with homemade corn tortillas, refried beans, rice, shredded Monterey jack, peach/Vidalia onion salsa and some of Jamie's smoked heat powder with the eggs over easy.
SANY0788_zps4a39bbbf.jpg

The dawn patrol reports back that things are bustin' out after another night of showers and overnight lows around 60 degrees.

Mulato Isleno
SANY0789_zps6da70a4a.jpg

A pod on one of the Almapaprika's
SANY0790_zps4f2fadd7.jpg

6-4 Anaheim
SANY0791_zpsf05509b6.jpg

Chimayo'
SANY0792_zps2e59ed50.jpg

Hungarian Tomato Pepper "Greygo"
SANY0793_zpscdc96a28.jpg

Kurtovska Kapia
SANY0794_zpsc8f3c154.jpg

outside Criolla Sella with pods
SANY0796_zpsa661c8be.jpg

Maya Red Habanero
SANY0800_zps33160ea3.jpg

Jamaican Hot Chocolate
SANY0801_zpsefb7a1bc.jpg

Love the foodie, just ate and now I want one of those!

Happy plants there!

Nice pics, I know how hard it is to take them once they're in the dirt. I use a camera and practically have to stand on my head, how low can you go...LOL

Manzano's forkin, juevos rancheros, Omnicolors galore...livin large at the Stick-house! My Manzanos grow and grow...they may even set some buds, but most will drop until it's convinced its done all the growing it can and it's happy with the weather. Lookin good, you're a busy dude!

Nice pics, I know how hard it is to take them once they're in the dirt. I use a camera and practically have to stand on my head, how low can you go...LOL
It's a little easier for me since I have the peppers in raised beds with a sunken walkway... that way I don't have to go so low it's hard to get back up again...

Manzano's forkin, juevos rancheros, Omnicolors galore...livin large at the Stick-house! My Manzanos grow and grow...they may even set some buds, but most will drop until it's convinced its done all the growing it can and it's happy with the weather. Lookin good, you're a busy dude!
S'right brother... we're off to my Mom's for the day. Omnicolors are turning from creamy white to purple blush, so hopefully not too much longer 'til they're ripe.

Happy Mother's day to all you Moms!

Aw Geez... it's been a breezy, chilly day today and the overnight low is supposed to get down to 30 degrees...

Forecast for Greenfield (01301)

Monday
partlycloudy.gif

Partly Cloudy
H 57° / L 30°
( Click for Details )

Tuesday
clear.gif

Clear
H 61° / L 32°
( Click for Details )

Wednesday
chancerain.gif

Chance of Rain
H 66° / L 48°
( Click for Details )

Thursday
partlycloudy.gif

Partly Cloudy
H 75° / L 46°
( Click for Details )

Friday
partlycloudy.gif

Partly Cloudy
H 68° / L 41°
( Click for Details )

Monday
Partly cloudy. High of 57F. Breezy. Winds from the WSW at 10 to 20 mph.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy in the evening, then clear. Low of 30F. Winds less than 5 mph.

I left the hoophouses buttoned up all day, and when I checked about sundown the temperature inside was noticeably warmer than ambient. I hope that's enough... :pray:

One more hurdle brother! They got this! Those Ajis will take a WHILE to ripen...they'll blush more once exposed to full sun. Then they'll slowly darken to orange...which will continue to deepen until they're red. Once orange the flavor is full enough to pull a few for a sample. A little more heat/sweet once they're fully red. Great snacking pepper while working out there.

Looking good, Rick.  Hope the frost doesn't get to the plants in the hoop house.  I have a feeling they will be fine.  Looks like a well-made hoop house. 

One thought about your Aji Panca.  I too have heard that they can be chinense, baccatum, or even annuum, and that "Aji Panca" is really just a generic name for a brown chile in Peru.  Once the flowers form you will know for sure what species yours is.  Mine definitely seems to be chinense based upon the flowers and multiple buds per node.  

Awesome foodie, always makes me hungry! Love the look on your Maya red hab and all the rest … hope you avoid the cold, now I know why you wanted the trade, lolz.

@Doc, panca to me means bench, while marrón means brown to me. That said, I do know many spanish words have different meanings in various South American countries. So I'm not sure what they use in Peru for brown, tried google and it only gave me marrón, guess I'll try asking a Peruvian friend

Hey Rick, your grow is kicking! Your weather looks nasty though; hope your guys cruised through the first night of chill and are ready to hunker down for another. Hopefully you won't get too many more of those.

stc3248 said:
One more hurdle brother! They got this! Those Ajis will take a WHILE to ripen...they'll blush more once exposed to full sun. Then they'll slowly darken to orange...which will continue to deepen until they're red. Once orange the flavor is full enough to pull a few for a sample. A little more heat/sweet once they're fully red. Great snacking pepper while working out there.
Hi Shane
   They've taken 2 nights of very cold weather in the hoophouses just fine... in fact, I checked the temp.s in there an hour ago, and it was holding around 89 degrees in there with the sun shining. Tonight should pay for all, and it'll warm up into the 40's overnight after that.

Thanks for the info on the Omnicolors... how many more weeks do you think it'll take them to fully ripen?

SeanW said:
Looking good! Love the little pods everywhere, you're going to be rolling in chiles, soon.

I hope so Sean! Is it any warmer out to your end of the state? We had lows in the mid 30's the last two nights.

DocNrock said:
One thought about your Aji Panca.  I too have heard that they can be chinense, baccatum, or even annuum, and that "Aji Panca" is really just a generic name for a brown chile in Peru.  Once the flowers form you will know for sure what species yours is.  Mine definitely seems to be chinense based upon the flowers and multiple buds per node.  
Thanks for the good vibes Doc!

It'll be interesting to see which variety the Aji Panca will turn out to be. ATM it reminds me most of an Annuum in the speed with which it's growing, but the leaves look rounder than I'm used to seeing on an Annuum, and there are no signs of buds yet so I can see how many flowers at each node.

WalkGood said:
Awesome foodie, always makes me hungry! Love the look on your Maya red hab and all the rest … hope you avoid the cold, now I know why you wanted the trade, lolz.

@Doc, panca to me means bench, while marrón means brown to me. That said, I do know many spanish words have different meanings in various South American countries. So I'm not sure what they use in Peru for brown, tried google and it only gave me marrón, guess I'll try asking a Peruvian friend

Just remember... you had your chance Ramon... ;)

Boy, I hardly remember any of my 7th grade Spanish. At least my teacher was from Panama and I learned to pronounce it without the snotty Cathtillian lithp...

landracer said:
Hey Rick, your grow is kicking! Your weather looks nasty though; hope your guys cruised through the first night of chill and are ready to hunker down for another. Hopefully you won't get too many more of those.
Hi Stephen,
   They've taken it like champs and have continued to put out flowers and set pods. I'm not going to take any pics until it warms up tomorrow and I can unbutton the sheet poly, but I think you'll all be amazed. Cheers!

Made Cajun Blackened pork chops for supper tonight with some of Jamie's (romy6) smoked powder blend. This one's for you Jamie!
SANY0811_zpsef029b5f.jpg

Great foodies!

I'm sure you'll hang with the weather, sorry that you have to, but 30 outside when they're inside the hoops is going to be OK. The worst it will do is slow them down for a day or so..

Back