• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2017 Minimalist Glog

Hi folks, and welcome to the weekend! Things are definitely moving here with color on 3 of 4 Forbing Nagas, Randy's Nuke, Piment Cabri, MoA and Scotch Brain. :dance:

Orange Forbing Naga variant.
SANY2554.JPG

Another of the red FBNs... a different plant from the one I got a ripe pod on earlier in the week.
SANY2555.JPG

One from Randy's Nuke
SANY2556.JPG

Kinda hard to focus on this Piment Cabri pod nested in the branches as it is.
SANY2559.JPG

First color on the Scotch Brain
SANY2565.JPG

Douglahs are getting decent size
SANY2562.JPG

A nice sized pod for the MoA Bonnet challenge when it ripens
SANY2564.JPG

Rosemary Pepper loading up
SANY2566.JPG

First ripe MoA Bonnet
SANY2567.JPG

Gotta process my garlic today since it's cured enough for storage.
SANY2568.JPG

Have a great weekend all!

Devv said:
Good stuff Rick!

I hope the MoA pod is a contender ;)

Cheers Scott! It'd be cool, but Inshalla... :)

A couple of pics of churning butter... I've been making it for some clients at the rate of roughly 8 pounds a week since early May, for a total of a bit over 70 pounds as of this week.

the glass 2 qt churn
0811170930.jpg

the final product... roughly 8 pounds of butter and a gallon of buttermilk from the 2 gallons of cream we started with in this batch.
0811170945.jpg

It's been a busy weekend here, but I have 10.5 pounds of garlic prepped and hung up in a mesh bag down cellar. That should keep us in kimchi this winter... ;)
0813171407.jpg

I also finally got around to making New York half-sour pickles with some of that garlic and three of my ripe rosemary peppers.
0813171557.jpg

I made some Korean spinach banchan with scallions and garlic from the garden, toasted sesame oil, soy sauce and substituted a frozen green scotch bonnet for the gochugaru. It had a really good lick of heat when I first made it, but it lost most of that the next day and the flavor was incredible! I think I found my new favorite recipe for cooked greens. :drooling:

Hi Rick,

Garlic was a bust this year for us. I've never seen this happen, but they looked great and never made a bulb. Yesterday was the first time in years we had to buy garlic. 4 weeks and I plant again, in a more sandy spot than last fall.
As for uses we just use it in most everything ;)

As for pickles, oh yeah. Grew up about 50 minutes East of NYC

Gee... that's too bad about your garlic this season Scott... better luck next year! We use a lot of it ourselves but never seem to plant any because it's so cheap and readily available. I wouldn't have planted any this year except I wanted it to push the pepper maggots out of the community garden plot. We won't know if it worked until next year, but here's hoping...

I've only been making the half-sour pickles for about 4 years now and never heard until now that I should have been trimming a little bit off the flower end of the cukes after washing them. Apparently that's where an enzyme is found that'll make the pickles go prematurely soft... I don't add anything to the brine to keep the pickles crisp, so it's something I'll do from now on. It just goes to show... even when you have things pretty well dialed in, you can still learn new things to make them even better.

The off-pheno FN pod looks like it's showing its Trinidad Scorpion heritage. I'll have to forward the pic to Gary.
0813171827.jpg

Cheers all!

FreeportBum said:
Hi Rick everything looks great! Homemade butter, pickles, ripe pods and garlic what else could you ask for? It was a really good year for garlic here, I just finally finished up cleaning and trimming all 276 heads. Keep up the great work buddy, cheers. 
Cheers D! Good on ya for growing your own garlic... Any special plans for it?

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Trident chilli said:
Nice to see some colour on your pods ... intresting to note that your early MoA has that elongated shape still it's the weight/girth that counts for the challenge ... pickles and garlic look good too
Cheers John! The early Bonnet pods here all seem to grow like that early in the season, but get more "correct" by late summer. The later pods are bigger too.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Hi folks, it looks like the red pheno Forbing Nagas are coming in!  :woohoo:

I picked these pods yesterday from 2 different plants.
0814171917.jpg

This morning I got my first ripe Scotch Brain
0815170601.jpg

Here's a pic of the yellow pheno Forbing Naga. Nice and glossy inside and out.
0815170617.jpg

I chopped up half of the pod to put into an egg 'n cheese breakfast sammie
0815170619.jpg

As advertised, it had a nice clean burn that was a bit more than you'd find in a standard Habanero, but much less than a Bhut. The aroma wasn't at all floral... more vegetal I'd say. This variety is definitely gonna go into my tomato-based hot sauce. Thanks again for sharing Gary!

Have a happy Taco Tuesday all... :)

Back