• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The official TOMATO thread

I vote -Probably Not.
They will only be in there a few more weeks, right?

Hopefully! ;-) these are two varieties that I'm really looking forward to try this year---black krim and isis candy---so crossing my fingers they'll be alright.

JJJessee said:

Hey, Filmost. I'm following Meatfreak's lead on this two per hole protocol. My guess is the yield per plant may suffer, but the yield per location would increase. Other factors could come into play that may skew the result though too, like soil fertility, disease, ????. So, if you have plenty of plants and limited space, it makes good sense. (I hope).

I'll be allowing 4' minimum between plant locations and 4-5" between the two plants per location, and yes, I'll prune. and tie to brace wire stretched between the row ends and supported by metal T-posts along the way. My concern is the plants may not achieve the height they would be capable of. You have to stop somewhere. Besides, getting to 6' tomato plants may be a pipe-dream at this point anyways. :D

Like you already said you have to prune the leaves and pay more attention to the plants as they stand closer to each other. You wanna make sure to keep a good airflow between to avoid diseases. Soil fertility is something you take care of at the end of the season. Also during the season I give extra fertilizer and nutrients. It's the first time I'm doing it like this, last season were only like 4 spots that had 2 plants but I didn't really noticed any decrease in yield but it does make sense. Anyhow, the plants are in my poly tunnel now and it's obvious they are a lot happier. Grown a lot and a lot greener again :) I expect to plant out at the end of this month, first wanna have some more height.

IMAG3993.jpg

I have my first tomato of the season forming! 
20140411_161610.jpg

This one danko plant is putting out quite a few flowers already, so hopefully there will be quite a few more tomatoes forming very soon. My wife's really excited about trying all the different varieties I've got growing thanks to neoguy and Penny. 
The rest of my plants are looking great, and are probably in need of potting up again which should be done Sunday. More pics to come after potting up. 

To anyone using a trellis, have you ever let your vine grow up and over, and then let it hang back down? Are tomato vines flexible enough for that or would they snap?

Im sure its been stated but REALLY dont want go threw ALL these pages buta Im growing a morgage lifter for the first time the tag says its a "vine"type dose anyone know how tall it'll get (how to stake it)and why the bottom leave are brown ish?kinda dead looking but so are the phoenix tomato plants leaves too is there somthing im doing? Ive never had this happen before? Thanks in advance for the advice /comments

Smitty said:
Im sure its been stated but REALLY dont want go threw ALL these pages buta Im growing a morgage lifter for the first time the tag says its a "vine"type dose anyone know how tall it'll get (how to stake it)and why the bottom leave are brown ish?kinda dead looking but so are the phoenix tomato plants leaves too is there somthing im doing? Ive never had this happen before? Thanks in advance for the advice /comments

Vine (indeterminate) types should keep growing indefinitely unless you snap their growing tip off. For staking I am doing something like this this year. You could also just cage it or put a tall stick next to it in the soil and tie it to the stick.

filmost said:

Vine (indeterminate) types should keep growing indefinitely unless you snap their growing tip off. For staking I am doing something like this this year. You could also just cage it or put a tall stick next to it in the soil and tie it to the stick.
Cool thanks filmost
So as for the browning of the bottom leaves that would be just from the growth and them just dying off?

filmost said:
Could be a number of things, how are you watering it?
With a hose once a week
JJJessee said:
I would fear it's blight. 
Trim them off and all leaves in danger of touching the dirt, spray as directed with Bonide Copper Fungicide, put down a mulch to minimize dirt splashing on leaves, and  :pray:
Copy that trimming the leaves and some mulch got it and ill look into that Bonide copper Fungicide too

So i went to the supermarket the other day and i found these..

They were labelled as sungolds so i excitedly bought them and harvested some seeds. I planted 4 and so far one came up!! I'm so excited! I didnt expect any to germinate cos i dont really have much luck with germinating tomatoes.

Yay! I might have sungolds for aglio olio in a few months, God willing!

Finally got my tomatoes in ground, due to being a bit longer then anticipated in the pot they started to turn yellow a bit. Anyway this will get better as soon as they start to root in the ground :) Very happy with how it turned out so far and looking forward to the rest of the season. In case 2 plants at 1 spot doesn't work I just cut of the weaker one.

IMAG4049.jpg

swellcat said:

Are you fermenting away the seed-surrounding "goo" before planting? 

Tomato Seed Fermentation  by Doug

Actually i didnt ferment my sungold seeds. I just placed them on a napkin and let them dry off. Then planted them. I planted 4 but i have 2 which germinated. So i'm not complaining.

I meant i had trouble germinating my black krim seeds which i bought online. I planted 7 but so far only 1 came up.

Back