• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The official TOMATO thread

Kyox89 said:
Actually i didnt ferment my sungold seeds. I just placed them on a napkin and let them dry off. Then planted them. I planted 4 but i have 2 which germinated. So i'm not complaining.
I meant i had trouble germinating my black krim seeds which i bought online. I planted 7 but so far only 1 came up.
Maybe you bury the seeds too deep.....Did you know that Sungold is a round cherry tomato, and it's also a hybrid.

filmost said:
Haven't read the link but I thought fermenting was for saving tomato seeds?

It is, but you need to rinse off the "goo" before drying the seeds, after fermenting. ;)

roper2008 said:
Maybe you bury the seeds too deep.....Did you know that Sungold is a round cherry tomato, and it's also a hybrid.
Another one just came up. I need to repot them. Haha.
Yes i do know that but its what was stated on the packaging. We'll have to see what it grows up to be if i manage to not kill them. =)

First tomatoes in the dirt.
It's early, but I think they'll make it.
I only risked two. :)

A Black Vernissage, about 5 weeks old.

I ended up taking 2 more leaves off too.

I grew it in pure composted oak leaves on a steady diet of seabird guano tea, sometimes a little kelp juice and CaMg added.

And a Yellow Brandywine a friend gave me as a seeding just over 3 weeks ago.

I planted in the same trench and gave them a generous portion of freshly screened compost.

and plastic blanket.

Plus, since we could get frost between now and the 10th of May, and dry cool wind is assured,

an over-sized cloche. 

Nice looking seedlings.  Never heard of Black Vernissage.  Have you tried it before?  I'm still trying to harden off my seedlings.  Can only do it on my days off, but I am off 
3 days a week.  With the up and down temps, it's taking longer for the hardening off process.

I have not tried the Black Vernissage. In fact, most of the toms I'm growing will be new to me.
I just started last year growing from seed, so my experience is very limited

Actually i didnt ferment my sungold seeds. I just placed them on a napkin and let them dry off. Then planted them. I planted 4 but i have 2 which germinated. So i'm not complaining.
i grow both F1 hybrid and F2 sungold tomatoes. the F2 grows larger and is a stronger seedling and for taste, i still like the F1 but, BUT, in a side-by-side taste test most of my neighbours and wife pick the F2 as the better tasting tomato. with the F1 i get this dancing flavour on my tongue, which is why i grow it every year. i use mcfayden seed, i don't know if that makes a difference but i am not willing to change brand. (i always ferment my seeds, seem to get a fluffier end product versus the dried dehydrated air dried end result).

Never heard of Black Vernissage

i haven't grown them but when i first saw pics of them i wondered if they were related to black zebra.

Tomatoes are starting to get back in gear again, most of them are starting to form buds  :dance:

IMAG4090.jpg

Canestrino
IMAG4089.jpg

Coral Queen
IMAG4088.jpg

And got a couple of Curly Kaley plants from friends. Really something else :)
IMAG4076.jpg

A bit of a late start in this thread, but here goes.
My list for this year (My first)
BEEFSTEAK 
MARGLOBE 

Roma
San Marzano
Bloody Butcher
Corcao di boi
Cherokee Purple
Giant Syrian
Tiny Tim
BLACK ZEBRA CHERRY
Wildtomate La Palma
Rosalita

I only wanted about 2 seeds of each, but got carried away and planted them all.  
4a_zps39a8d6d9.jpg

In no time I was in a bit of tomato jungle
4f_zps4c746a32.jpg

This is my dutch bucket hydroponic setup, there are empty buckets waiting for my peppers to grow a little (though the majority including the super hots will be elsewhere)

IMG_6638_zpsc4074fc4.jpg

And now for some fruit shots:

San marazano
IMG_6645_zpsed06869d.jpg

Tiny Tim
IMG_6647_zpsd264165f.jpg

Black Zebra
IMG_6651_zps5504af2d.jpg

A bit of a mystery,  label was san marazano, but it is not.  Small price to pay for getting your kids to help...  Maybe bull's heart or beefsteak.

IMG_6646_zps79a56891.jpg

Wishing everyone plenty of tomatoes and a bountifull harvest this year

ACKK!

Over the weekend some bug, a sucking bug I suspect, decided to drill my Black Vernissage for a drink of tomato juice..

I put this mystery volunteer in next to the stub (which very well may resprout)

Ok, tornadoes, whats ya got?

The two potato leafed plants are watermelon beefsteak. They were supposed to be the original heirloom variety with regular leaves any one experience both varieties?
The regular leafed plants are Cherokee Purple. The leaves look like they are crinkly and splotchy yellow. I assume this is because I haven't fertilized yet?
Roots are already coming out the bottom so they will be transplanted and fertilized tomorrow.

WP_20140427_17_37_07_Pro.jpg

In your experience, what is the best tasting heirloom tomato while at the same time being a good producer with resistance to heat?

spicymeatball said:
The two potato leafed plants are watermelon beefsteak. They were supposed to be the original heirloom variety with regular leaves any one experience both varieties?
The regular leafed plants are Cherokee Purple. The leaves look like they are crinkly and splotchy yellow. I assume this is because I haven't fertilized yet?
Roots are already coming out the bottom so they will be transplanted and fertilized tomorrow.

WP_20140427_17_37_07_Pro.jpg

In your experience, what is the best tasting heirloom tomato while at the same time being a good producer with resistance to heat?

For me, that would have to be Abe Lincoln....heavy producer right up until first frost, resists disease, and just a good all around tomato. 

HolyP said:
A bit of a late start in this thread, but here goes.
My list for this year (My first)
BEEFSTEAK 
MARGLOBE 

Roma
San Marzano
Bloody Butcher
Corcao di boi
Cherokee Purple
Giant Syrian
Tiny Tim
BLACK ZEBRA CHERRY
Wildtomate La Palma
Rosalita

I only wanted about 2 seeds of each, but got carried away and planted them all.  
4a_zps39a8d6d9.jpg

In no time I was in a bit of tomato jungle
4f_zps4c746a32.jpg

This is my dutch bucket hydroponic setup, there are empty buckets waiting for my peppers to grow a little (though the majority including the super hots will be elsewhere)

IMG_6638_zpsc4074fc4.jpg

And now for some fruit shots:

San marazano
IMG_6645_zpsed06869d.jpg

Tiny Tim
IMG_6647_zpsd264165f.jpg

Black Zebra
IMG_6651_zps5504af2d.jpg

A bit of a mystery,  label was san marazano, but it is not.  Small price to pay for getting your kids to help...  Maybe bull's heart or beefsteak.

IMG_6646_zps79a56891.jpg

Wishing everyone plenty of tomatoes and a bountifull harvest this year
Amir-  Amazing set up -   Nice Work 
Burning Colon said:
i grow both F1 hybrid and F2 sungold tomatoes. the F2 grows larger and is a stronger seedling and for taste, i still like the F1 but, BUT, in a side-by-side taste test most of my neighbours and wife pick the F2 as the better tasting tomato. with the F1 i get this dancing flavour on my tongue, which is why i grow it every year. i use mcfayden seed, i don't know if that makes a difference but i am not willing to change brand. (i always ferment my seeds, seem to get a fluffier end product versus the dried dehydrated air dried end result).

i haven't grown them but when i first saw pics of them i wondered if they were related to black zebra.
Mark 

Have you had any other major differences in the Sungold F1 and F2?  I have heard speculation that the Sungold may in-fact be stabilized.  

Martin

Martin, not sure what you are looking for man! sungold is not stabilized and not an open pollinated variety, if that is what you are looking for. perhaps sungella but i don't have access to that right now. i can just tell you by looking at the current 2014 seedling that both 2013 & 2014 that F2 plants grow larger and stronger, original sungold start out like runts in comparison to F2.

this is my second year growing direct F1 and indirect F2. perhaps i should have saved F2 seeds but......since the fact that i really like original F1 Sungold, i am willing to spend the $ 3.50 on a package of 20 seeds.....but not until 2016 as i still have F1 seeds left.

oh, the F2s' produce fruit sooner, if i remember correctly but at the end of season both are usually equal in size and production. and like i stated, at taste tester time most of my samplers picked the F2 as better flavour.  that i couldn't believe as the original sungold F1, like i mentioned, has a complex flavour that dances across one's tongue.

Thanks Mark,

I have yet to grow the Sungold - so with that being said,  and I am not trying to start or advance any conspiracy theories, but I find it interesting when F2+'s tend to be very similar to the F1's.  ( I mean do you really think that seed companies would put out disinformation that their "Seeds are not OP"  to dissuade anyone from saving their seeds?)   :liar:liar:liar:          I know a rhetorical question.       ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

If I remember correctly  Reinhard Kraft released 3, maybe more OP varieties of the Sungold.  Off the top of my head the only one I remember was the Sungold Select.  

I was just interested in your observations of growing both plants, and found it interesting that your friends and neighbors liked the F2 better.

Martin

Update

The Yellow Brandywine is looking OK

n97bbt1l.jpg

and the Mater of Mystery too.

6gW4na1l.jpg

Sorta looks like it could be a Kosovo(pink oxheart). The only known Kosovo seed I had this year didn't sprout. 

They've both had some "iffy" lower leaves.
So, I've trimmed them off and sprayed them with Bonide Copper Soap
and  :pray:

Also liking the trellis clip thingys so far.

Back