• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2014...CLOSED FOR THE 2014 SEASON

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

Me, and my Cacho de Cabra, which stands at 4' tall.

Some non-chinenses.

Chinenses.

GRIF 9265.

I'm using the square foot gardening method.  Plants are getting close.  I like the appearance.

A weird cross.

MoA, Scotch Bonnet.  Can't wait for these.  I have 4 plants.

Weather is into the 90s today, and will hit 101F tomorrow.  It's funny the misconceptions people have about Oregon weather, in particular, southern Oregon.  Good luck to all.  I hope this Pacific Northwest GLOG will be a success!

blorvak said:
Hey, here's a question for all you NW growers. As of July 4th, what's currently your best performing plant?

Mine is a Goat's Weed. It's getting big, and has a good number of pods set already.

Mine would be a Floridade tomato unless you count the Gypsy Pepper I bought.   :cry:

Can anyone tell me what the point is in using Perlite?  I hear about people using but not sure why.

Wow!  8 bulbs in one fixture!! 

How large of an area will that cover?
What's that fixture laying on the mat?

The light will shine and cover 4 trays trays are 10x22 light it self is 22.5x47x2.5

Every thing is sitting on my old sewing table. I make custom military body armor on the side. Mon-Fri i am a machinist.
Roguejim said:
Wow!  8 bulbs in one fixture!! 

How large of an area will that cover?
What's that fixture laying on the mat?

LowDrag said:

Mine would be a Floridade tomato unless you count the Gypsy Pepper I bought.   :cry:

Can anyone tell me what the point is in using Perlite?  I hear about people using but not sure why.
Perlite is just used for better drainage. When I'm planting seeds, I use a mix of 75% peat moss and 25% perlite. No soil, I save that for when I transplant. I had cucumber seeds germinate in 4 days from this mixture, and countless sugar snap peas/lettuce/couple sunflowers...I think it'd be really good for peppers too because it retains a lot of moisture, but doesn't get the muddy texutre that soil does when it's wet. It's pretty great!

EDIT: I guess I should add that I plant my seeds in peat pots before transferring them to planters. I'm lazy and taking seedlings out of plastic cells scares the shit out of me :P

xBrianxEdge said:
Perlite is just used for better drainage. When I'm planting seeds, I use a mix of 75% peat moss and 25% perlite. No soil, I save that for when I transplant. I had cucumber seeds germinate in 4 days from this mixture, and countless sugar snap peas/lettuce/couple sunflowers...I think it'd be really good for peppers too because it retains a lot of moisture, but doesn't get the muddy texture that soil does when it's wet. It's pretty great!
EDIT: I guess I should add that I plant my seeds in peat pots before transferring them to planters. I'm lazy and taking seedlings out of plastic cells scares the shit out of me :P

I got a mix from a local landscaping place that is a 4 way mix.  It has garden sand, potting soil, compost and horse manure.  My potted plants have always drained really well without adding anything extra to it.  I guess that means I must have got lucky.  Next season I am going to do raised beds because the ground on my property is old river bed and harder than concrete.

SHOOT! So today I was transplanting my baby bhut from a half gallon to three gallon bucket, and when I took the plant out of the initial container and set it in to the new container, all the dirt from the bottom fell off and the plant fell in tot he hole. I managed to pick it up and set it in properly, but I think a couple roots might have been affected....

Is my little plant okay?!?!? :(

xBrianxEdge said:
SHOOT! So today I was transplanting my baby bhut from a half gallon to three gallon bucket, and when I took the plant out of the initial container and set it in to the new container, all the dirt from the bottom fell off and the plant fell in tot he hole. I managed to pick it up and set it in properly, but I think a couple roots might have been affected....

yes...it will be fine. Look into a amino acid supplement to help the plant through stressful conditions. May be worth your while 

xBrianxEdge said:

It will be all good!
Is it strange all of my peppers,except one has pods/flowers?  This guarani doesn't have anything......

20140710_030630890_iOS.jpg

blorvak said:
I agree with ColdSmoke. Peppers are pretty tough. They take their sweet time growing, but they're tough!

The damn things sure do.  I am finally starting to see some vertical growth on my peppers.  The one pepper I have that was supposed to be a Jalapeno but now I am sure is a bell pepper starting to puke out quite a few pods, if that is the right word for it.

fMvmaPw.jpg

Here's my Butch T's. Pretty excited about them! Got them planted in their 5gal containers and gave them a good epsom salt spraying. Already seeing results! :D One even has flowers.

You can get Bhut plants at my local Grange Co Op. No store that I'm aware of sells any superhots, at least, not in southern Oregon. There are some private outfits that sell them, though. Ford's Fiery Foods, and, Lily's Chilies. Both in Oregon. Ford's is the best of the two.

Roguejim said:
You can get Bhut plants at my local Grange Co Op. No store that I'm aware of sells any superhots, at least, not in southern Oregon. There are some private outfits that sell them, though. Ford's Fiery Foods, and, Lily's Chilies. Both in Oregon. Ford's is the best of the two.

There's a guy that sells starts at the Vancouver Farmer's Market that had some bhut plants once. I bought a start from him. It's been doing good :)

Daaayhm, five pages and I'm only the second from BC? Pshaw. Balduuuuvian can increase our numbers by 50% :D

I'll find a few pics of what Donny Don't Did XD

Back