• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2014...CLOSED FOR THE 2014 SEASON

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

Me, and my Cacho de Cabra, which stands at 4' tall.

Some non-chinenses.

Chinenses.

GRIF 9265.

I'm using the square foot gardening method.  Plants are getting close.  I like the appearance.

A weird cross.

MoA, Scotch Bonnet.  Can't wait for these.  I have 4 plants.

Weather is into the 90s today, and will hit 101F tomorrow.  It's funny the misconceptions people have about Oregon weather, in particular, southern Oregon.  Good luck to all.  I hope this Pacific Northwest GLOG will be a success!

Roguejim said:
Aphids ravaged quite a few of my plants. I'm not sure how to prevent them from showing up next season. I'm considering abamectin. Pyrethrins is too short term, and only kills adults on contact. It's not cheap, either.

I found a great way to control aphids.  Plant 10 squash plants close to your pepper garden.  The aphids will destroy your squash garden and totally ignore your peppers.  That's what happened to me this year.  I was really worried they would make the 10 foot jump over to my pepper plants but they never did.  They destroyed my squash and moved on...

While my pepper plants were being attacked by the aphids, my 3 massive zucchini squash, less the 5' away, weren't touched.

LOL

aphids will almost always choose hops over peppers, but I'm really not sure it's a good idea to attract them to your plants' location

Moved the girls up front today. I tossed 3 plants that didnt look like the would produce. They should break down in my soil bin and give me a bit back for next year.

20140909_154039_zps4630ebab.jpg

Very healthy girls, KevinH.  You might consider larger pots next season, however.  Those look like ~3-gallon size?  I don't remember, are you planning on a raised bed next season? 

Them be 1 gallon pots. And yea the ones I keep at home will go 1 then 3.Next year I hope to have a have a garden plot. We have a community garden program here in my town. I will also be starting in mid Jan. instead of June. LoL

Thanks guys for looking.

Roguejim said:
Very healthy girls, KevinH.  You might consider larger pots next season, however.  Those look like ~3-gallon size?  I don't remember, are you planning on a raised bed next season? 

Hey everyone...I picked 7 Habanero's this morning to share with a couple of the sup's at work.  I called one of then this afternoon to see if he tried one yet.  He tried it while on the phone with me which was very amusing to listen to.  You could air whooshing in as he tried to take a breath and finally talk.  SCORE!!!  My first time growing Habanero's and I smoked someone with one already.  Ya gotta love it!!!

Buddy of mine let me pick at his plants. He has a great location and damn near perfect conditions this year. Hungarian Wax, two unknown red ones, red bhut, huge habaneros, fatalii and a couple cayennes

My chinense season is pretty much over.  I've pulled all but 2 chinense plants (bhut, scorp tongue), and am waiting on the non-chinenses to ripen up.  I've already gotten my soil amendments together to put down in the next 2-4 weeks.  I'll post photos of the amended raised bed when the time comes.  I hope all of your harvests are big.

Back