• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheGreenChileMonster's 2017 GLOG

Now that it is almost time to plant out, I figured I'd start up my GLOG for the year. I've cut out almost all superhots this year, and am growing solely peppers I regularly cook with. Here is a link to my glog last year:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60119-thegreenchilemonsters-2016-grow/

I did a good job documenting my grow last season, but I plan to give more regular updates this year. I'm growing more veggies this year too, so I needed to free up some space in my garden. Here is the list for the year. All of these are either OW plants or well established seedlings.

Aji Limo
Aji Mochero
Aji Amarillo
Aji Pacay
Aji Arnaucho
Aji Dulce
Aji Largo (Pubescens)
Aji Oro (Pubescens)
Rocoto Rojo Arequipeño
Rocoto Oculto
Red Peruvian Rocoto
Giant Red Rocoto
Giant Yellow Rocoto
Rocoto Peru Cusco
Mini Red Rocoto
Large Red Rocoto
Turbo Pube
Guatemalan Red Rocoto
Carolina Reaper

I'll start posting pics and updates as soon as I start planting out over the next few weeks. There may also be some veggie and home brew pics in this GLOG throughout the season.

Devv said:
Looking good Dale! Those gals will kick in and pod up like crazy ;)
Thanks! I potted up 11 more rocoto plants today. I'll finish the rest tomorrow. I also potted this 4 year old Carolina Reaper tree in a 20 gallon pot. It's the only superhot I'm growing this year, and I'm sure it will give me a few hundred blisteringly hot pods that I'll never eat. It gre to 6' 6" a few years ago in the ground, so I'm sure it will do prettt darn well in 20 gallons of premium soil.

Devv said:
I'm not much for eating Reapers straight up. But they do taste great and make some really good sauces, it doesn't take much ;)

Gotta give ya credit for keeping a plant going for 4 years. :dance:
The peppers from this plant are way too hot. It's definitely a novelty plant for sure. I usually give away most of the peppers, or smoke/dehydrate them and make powder. This will actually be it's 5th growing season. My wife hates the plant, but F it, it's definitely a soldier, and it's always nice to have a few face melting pods around in the Summer to give to people that think they can handle the heat.

It's already setting pods. I think I might actually count how many pods I pull off of it this year. I'm sure I'll get over 250. Maybe I should have a contest to guess the final tally....

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I amended my soil from last year with compost and manure, then potted out my OW plants.

Your OW plants are looking great! Have you had any problems with Aphids when you kept them inside? I've had the little bastiges every time I've tried to OW mine, and they go for the Pubiscens varieties the worst. Any tips you have along those lines would be appreciated.

stickman said:

Your OW plants are looking great! Have you had any problems with Aphids when you kept them inside? I've had the little bastiges every time I've tried to OW mine, and they go for the Pubiscens varieties the worst. Any tips you have along those lines would be appreciated.
I don't have any issues with aphids on my OW plants. I cut my plants down to the trunk, get rid of all foliage, and uproot them. I use a water hose, and spray all of the soil from the roots, and trim them down to a little ball. I then dunk the plant in a dish soap water mixture, completely submerging the plant for a few minutes. Then I pot up the plant in a 1 gallon pot fresh soil, and bring it inside.

I don't have any issues with aphids on my OW plants. I cut my plants down to the trunk, get rid of all foliage, and uproot them. I use a water hose, and spray all of the soil from the roots, and trim them down to a little ball. I then dunk the plant in a dish soap water mixture, completely submerging the plant for a few minutes. Then I pot up the plant in a 1 gallon pot fresh soil, and bring it inside.

Bookmarked! Thanks for the tip Dale! :thumbsup:

..., and it's always nice to have a few face melting pods around in the Summer to give to people that think they can handle the heat.

This is kind of wicked :hell:. But one should be humble, right? ... ;)

Btw, I like your C. pubescens focus, you have really nice plants!

Since most of my peppers are now outside, and are starting to bounce back from transplanting, I figured I'd get some pics of them. It's always fun to compare the plants at the beginning of the season to the peak of the season.

Large Red Rocoto

Rocoto Oculto

Turbo Pube

Aji Largo (Pubescens)

Giant Yellow Rocoto

Aji Dulce

Mini Rocoto

Rocoto Rojo Arequipeño

Guatemalan Red Rocoto

Peruvian Red Rocoto

Aji Pacae

Aji Limo Rojo

Aji Oro

stickman said:
Out of curiousity Dale... what do you use for light when starting new plants? sunlight only?
Yep, sunlight only. The rocoto plants that have yellowish lower leaves were started from seed, and have been in solo cups since last fall. I open up the shade on a south facing window, and let them grow on pure sunlight. I start all of my veggies the same way too. Those solo cup rocotos were way overdue for transplant, so in 5 days of being outside they are shooting off all kinds of lush green growth in top. I will let them do want the want with growth until May 15th, then prune them, and make them become bushes.

Yep, sunlight only. The rocoto plants that have yellowish lower leaves were started from seed, and have been in solo cups since last fall. I open up the shade on a south facing window, and let them grow on pure sunlight. I start all of my veggies the same way too. Those solo cup rocotos were way overdue for transplant, so in 5 days of being outside they are shooting off all kinds of lush green growth in top. I will let them do want the want with growth until May 15th, then prune them, and make them become bushes.

Ah... I'd wondered why I got such a different growth habit on mine when it came from your seeds. Cheers! :)

Hey, Dale - looking awfully nice down your way!
Love your awesome variety of Rocos!
Can't wait to see all the colorful pods!

Malarky said:
I see your Amarillo has a curling up of the leaves too. All three of my specimens from your seed have that. I was worried it was my city water. A number of the leaves have done some interesting curling.

My Aji A. have been doing that for 6 seasons!  The
original big leaves always just curl up.  t\They are healthy
otherwise, so I leave them until I can't stand it, and trim
them off a few at a time.  The leaves on the forks are nice and flat.

PaulG said:
Hey, Dale - looking awfully nice down your way!
Love your awesome variety of Rocos!
Can't wait to see all the colorful pods!

My Aji A. have been doing that for 6 seasons!  The
original big leaves always just curl up.  t\They are healthy
otherwise, so I leave them until I can't stand it, and trim
them off a few at a time.  The leaves on the forks are nice and flat.
Thanks!

Yeah, those big floppy/curly Aji Amarillo leaves are very typical of the cultivar. I'll eventually cut them off, since they get way too big, and block the sun from all of the healthy new shoots. The aji pacae takes the cake though, for oversized curly leaves. The plant and pods are kind of like an oversized aji amarillo, so naturally the giant curly leaves are even bigger as well.

Back