• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheGreenChileMonster's 2017 GLOG

Now that it is almost time to plant out, I figured I'd start up my GLOG for the year. I've cut out almost all superhots this year, and am growing solely peppers I regularly cook with. Here is a link to my glog last year:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60119-thegreenchilemonsters-2016-grow/

I did a good job documenting my grow last season, but I plan to give more regular updates this year. I'm growing more veggies this year too, so I needed to free up some space in my garden. Here is the list for the year. All of these are either OW plants or well established seedlings.

Aji Limo
Aji Mochero
Aji Amarillo
Aji Pacay
Aji Arnaucho
Aji Dulce
Aji Largo (Pubescens)
Aji Oro (Pubescens)
Rocoto Rojo Arequipeño
Rocoto Oculto
Red Peruvian Rocoto
Giant Red Rocoto
Giant Yellow Rocoto
Rocoto Peru Cusco
Mini Red Rocoto
Large Red Rocoto
Turbo Pube
Guatemalan Red Rocoto
Carolina Reaper

I'll start posting pics and updates as soon as I start planting out over the next few weeks. There may also be some veggie and home brew pics in this GLOG throughout the season.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Bummer! Do you still have seeds for it? I can send you some more, if you need.

My OW mini rocoto plant has gotten ridiculously huge already. One of these years I will put one in a 20 gallon pot, just to see how big the plant gets, with those comically small, but delicious rocoto pods.
I still have seeds thankfully just really dissapointing because that was the only pube in my grow and was really looking forward to that one the most. I suppose its not too late to start another..

Grass Snake said:
I still have seeds thankfully just really dissapointing because that was the only pube in my grow and was really looking forward to that one the most. I suppose its not too late to start another..
Start some more, I'm sure you'll get some pods by the end of the season. The plant flowers really early, and the pods grow and ripen quickly. I'll send some more Pube seeds your way for next season anyway. What varieties of Pube seeds do you have right now?

Start some more, I'm sure you'll get some pods by the end of the season. The plant flowers really early, and the pods grow and ripen quickly. I'll send some more Pube seeds your way for next season anyway. What varieties of Pube seeds do you have right now?

Aji Oro
Aji Largo
Aji mini rocoto
Manzano 

The Aji Oro and Largo didn't germinate for me the first attempt. Will start those again while I'm at it...

I really enjoy eating the flavor and heat of most Pube cultivars. I really like the plants as well, they are fun to grow. I've been able to find quite a few varieties that grow well in my climate. I've also found several Pube cultivars that do terrible in my climate. I grew a rocoto montufar thay got massive last year, and put off hundreds of flowers, but didn't set a single pod. Needless to say, I enjoyed cutting that plant down at the emd of the season.

Looking good, Dale - warmer weather will really
kick things up a notch there.  Looks like you are
set for a great grow season!  Love all the Pubescens
varieties you've got going.  Red Rococos seem to
perform well in our PNW climate.

I decided to grab pics of some of my Pubes this evening while I was picking yellow squash for dinner. They are starting to fill out, and flower. Some are already podding up. It will be fun to look back at these pics in August when the plants are giant bushes and loaded with pods. This obviously isn't all of my rocoto plants, just the ones I snapped pics of quickly while gardening.

Large Red Rocoto. 2 plants

Rocoto Oculto

Turbo Pube. 4 plants

Giant Yellow Rocoto. 3 plants

Rocoto Arequipeño

Guatemalan Red Rocoto

Peruvian Red Rocoto

Red Mini Rocoto

Aji Largo (Pubescens)

Amazing plants, Dale! You certainly have the Pubescens growing down! This is my first year growing any Pube varieties, thanks to your generosity. They definitely grow differently than the other species of Capsicum that I've grown. More lateral than vertical. But I think I remember you saying something about clipping the ends of the branches to promote vertical growth. I have a lot to learn about this species. I got my first open Pubescens flower today...Aji Oro with the Brown Rocoto slowly following. Keep up the great work and thank you for your knowledge!

-Adam

I amended my soil from last year with compost and manure, then potted out my OW plants. Here are a some pics of the process, and also pics of a few of the plants.

A couple of OW rocoto plants ready to start the 2017 outdoor season.

Aji amarillos ready to be huge producers again this year.

everything looks great including the brewskie on the table ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grabbed a few pics of some pepper plants while I grilled today. Everything is looking pretty good for the day before the solstice. My pepper plants always start shooting up like weeds after the solstice...and my dog always starts shedding after the solstice. Just like clockwork.

OW Aji Dulce

A couple of aji mochero plants

A few aji arnaucho plants

Aji Pacae getting absolutely massive already.

Aji Amarillo plants getting super dense and covered in pods as usual.

Large red rocoto plants stretching out

Four turbo pube plants setting lots of pods in their 10 gallon pouches.

Three giant yellow rocoto plants loving life and setting pods in their 10 gallon pouches.

Guatemalan Red Rocoto

Peruvian Red Rocoto. Lots of pods setting

Aji Largo (Pubescens) tons of pods setting. Looking to be a huge producer again this year.

Mini Red Rocoto. Setting tons of pods as usual.

Four year old reaper tree doing it's thing. It's in a 20 gallon pot, so the sky is the limit on this one. I expect it to get over 7' this year.

I grabbed a few pod pics while grilling this evening. There are lot more plants that are podding up, but I just snapped a few pics as the charcoal fired up.

Aji amarillo

A couple of aji mochero plants

Aji Largo

Mini red rocoto

Aji Pacae

Peruvian red rocoto

Aji arnaucho. These plants are looking way more uniform to what I would normally expect compared to the aji arnaucho I grew last year. The seeds I grew last year were brought to me from a friends mom when she visited from Peru. Maybe they were crossed or something. IDK. These pods look exactly right though.

Guatemalan red rocoto

Beefsteak tomatoes

Cherry tomatoes

Back