• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheGreenChileMonster's 2017 GLOG

Now that it is almost time to plant out, I figured I'd start up my GLOG for the year. I've cut out almost all superhots this year, and am growing solely peppers I regularly cook with. Here is a link to my glog last year:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60119-thegreenchilemonsters-2016-grow/

I did a good job documenting my grow last season, but I plan to give more regular updates this year. I'm growing more veggies this year too, so I needed to free up some space in my garden. Here is the list for the year. All of these are either OW plants or well established seedlings.

Aji Limo
Aji Mochero
Aji Amarillo
Aji Pacay
Aji Arnaucho
Aji Dulce
Aji Largo (Pubescens)
Aji Oro (Pubescens)
Rocoto Rojo Arequipeño
Rocoto Oculto
Red Peruvian Rocoto
Giant Red Rocoto
Giant Yellow Rocoto
Rocoto Peru Cusco
Mini Red Rocoto
Large Red Rocoto
Turbo Pube
Guatemalan Red Rocoto
Carolina Reaper

I'll start posting pics and updates as soon as I start planting out over the next few weeks. There may also be some veggie and home brew pics in this GLOG throughout the season.

Despite the crappy weather we've been having (highs in the upper 50's/low 60's and lows in the high 30's/low 40's, and heavy rain), I am starting to see some Pubescens flowers.

Aji Largo

The aji amarillo plants are flowering and podding up. Aji amarillo thrives well in both hot and cold environments, which makes it one of my favorites since I can plant it in April, and harvest all the way through late October/early November.

This bed of yellow squash that has been way overwatered by too much rain, but is still trudging along

Bed of acorn squash

Tomatoes

My list is as follows:
Right to left,
Red Habanero
Cubanella
Jolokia orange
Habanero
Chocolate Habanero
Trinidad Scorpion
Red Jolokia
Caballero
Serrano
Tabasco
Still in pots
Scotch bonnet
Fatalli
Carolina reaper
Far on the of the bed you can see legumes. Guandules aka peg ion peas

Pics to follow

tctenten said:
Plants look good. Same type of weather here and the plants seems to be doing ok.
Thanks. It looks like we'll finally be blessed with co secutive days of nice weather here in the NE starting next Monday the 15th. I plan on planting the rest of my veggies then, which are eggplant, okra, and some more tomatoes. My bed of onions and garlic is doing well.

I also randomly started some P. Dreadie Select seeds germinating 4 or 5 days ago, so I'll be planting those outside in early June.

Nice looking grow Dale!

You're growing many of the same crops I do. Good to grow what you eat ;)

Love the flower shots ;)

Just tried my first Aji Oro pod, it's a great pepper. Nice and juicy, I was quite surprised when I got into the placenta portion, after eating the bottom part. Nice heat!

Devv said:
Nice looking grow Dale!

You're growing many of the same crops I do. Good to grow what you eat ;)

Love the flower shots ;)

Just tried my first Aji Oro pod, it's a great pepper. Nice and juicy, I was quite surprised when I got into the placenta portion, after eating the bottom part. Nice heat!
I knew that Pubescens were fully capable of thriving in Texas when in the right hands. Great job!

I made jelly with a lot of my aji oro last year, but I still have a few full bags of frozen aji oro that I plan on making more with soon. I remember sending you some other Pube seeds and SA heirlooms as well. Any luck on those?

stickman said:
Everything's looking stellar Dale! Glad to hear you're getting your transplants all in soon.  :thumbsup:

The Aji Oro from your seeds hasn't gotten any taller... it's just under a foot tall, but it's two feet wide and covered with little pods. Definitely a worker!
Yeah, it will keep growing horizontally, unless you prune it, to make it grow vertically. Aji oro grows the opposite of a regular pepper plant, outwards, instead of upwards. You're right though, it is a beast of Pube cultivar, and extremely prolific with fruit.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Yeah, it will keep growing horizontally, unless you prune it, to make it grow vertically. Aji oro grows the opposite of a regular pepper plant, outwards, instead of upwards. You're right though, it is a beast of Pube cultivar, and extremely prolific with fruit.
so should I just start clipping the ends of the branches at a radius I like? one of my oro is 3 feet wide in a solo cup

I got home from vacation to find many of my pepper plants are starting to bud. Some have started to flower, and a few plants are podding up already. Here are the plants with either buds, flowers, or pods.

Rocoto Oculto

Turbo Pube

Giant Yellow Rocoto

Mini Red Rocoto

Guatemalan Red Rocoto

Peruvian Red Rocoto

Aji Pacae

Aji Largo

Aji Arnaucho

Aji Mochero

Aji Amarillo

Yellow Squash

Cherry Tomato

Beefsteak Tomato

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I knew that Pubescens were fully capable of thriving in Texas when in the right hands. Great job!

I made jelly with a lot of my aji oro last year, but I still have a few full bags of frozen aji oro that I plan on making more with soon. I remember sending you some other Pube seeds and SA heirlooms as well. Any luck on those?

Everything came up just fine. I lost the Guatemalan Red Rocoto's, they were doing fine and just died. All the others are still hanging around ;)  I may have lost one of the others. I would have to go do a count..

Thanks again for the seeds!

Nice update! I wish my plants would hang during a vacation. We actually schedule around gardening season.

Devv said:

Everything came up just fine. I lost the Guatemalan Red Rocoto's, they were doing fine and just died. All the others are still hanging around ;)  I may have lost one of the others. I would have to go do a count..

Thanks again for the seeds!

Nice update! I wish my plants would hang during a vacation. We actually schedule around gardening season.
Bummer about the Guatemalan Red Rocotos, they are great peppers. There's always next year!

It's been raining a lot here, so everything stayed nice and hydrated while I was gone.

Jubnat said:
I need to start pinching mine, it's spreading out like crazy.

Thanks for spreading those Aji Oro seeds all around!  Where did you find them?

One huge hairy bush!
I got them in a trade with Nicolau (AZ1000), back in 2015. The plants grew like a champ in blazing heat, and cool weather, so I figured it would be a fun bulletproof Pube cultivar to share with folks. The pods are also really tasty, so definitely another good reason to grow Aji Oro, aside from the resistance to rough weather conditions.

Back