• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Tomato Talk

Heres a pic of my sweet 100 in my topsy turvey.Its doing pretty good
and just love the tomatoes its giving me
Picture69004-3.jpg

These toms are not tall at all, but it isn't due to the grass growing round them - it's pretty much intentional, though I want to trim it. I'm fairly certain the plants do not grow tall because the fruits weigh too much - they are Giant Belgiums (or maybe Belgium Giants!) that grow from 2-5 pounds each.

Not sure if all the blooms show up in the pic, and I'm sure some of them will never convert to fruit, but there are close to 2 dozen on each plant. If they pan out, I'm talking about a serious amount of tomato juice from just two plants!

729tom1.jpg

729tom2.jpg

Mike

Very nice information and some very good advice. I planted some mortgage makers and was very well pleased. Sweet 100 for just garden eating and some romas nothing outrages but I love them. I have one cherry tomatoe but can't find the stub to tell me what it is but its very sweet and the size is about the size of a large golf ball. Now the question is how do you save the seeds? I smeared some out on a paper towel and letting them dry but they still have that slimey stuff around the seed. So give me some ideas plz

Tomoto seeds you should ferment. I've never done it before but a quick search should give you info. I gotta try some soon too for my redrobins

Sorellina explains fermenting here. Where is Sorellina the tomato lady?
Sorellina said:
Ciao Potawie-

Yes, I ferment my seeds. The fermentation method is said to "cook" off any viruses that may be harbouring in the seed coat, as well as getting rid of the gel around the seeds, of course. The process, when done correctly, produces heat under anaerobic conditions. A fungal mat forms over the seeds and juice from the tomato (add no water or your seeds may germinate) after 3-5 days. The smelly mess is stirred, the fungal mat (along with a few seeds sticking to the underside) is poured off. Water is added and poured off carefully until clear and no gel residue remains. Clean seeds are poured onto a paper plate (to wick moisture), labelled, and stored in a cool dark place until dry. I keep my seeds in paper coin envelopes in a Lee Valley binder. I can find them easily in a bookshelf and the seeds are dry and out of the light. When stored like this, tomato seeds can remain viable for 15 years or more. A word about bugs: for those of you who may be squeamish to crawly fruit fly larvae (like me), by all means, keep your container of tomato seeds and juice COVERED to prevent the inevitable bug nightmare from invading and seriously grossing you out.

rabbit said:
but a fresh juicy uncooked tomato............YUCK!!! :shocked: Especially those little ones that burst in your mouth those are the worst!:lol:

Man, i just don't understand how anybody could not love tomatoes....between my 16 year old daughter and myself we prolly eat about an honest 5 to 10 pounds of 'em a week easy.

I love them, but I know a guy who hates them as much as you can hate anything. If you take one bite of a tomato you could chase him around the room with the half eaten fruit, he was running away from it like others would from spiders or girl scout cookies!

I recently made a huge batch of tomato sauce with opalkas and yummy but with all the rain we've been getting, most of my tomatoes are looking terrible. I don't remember a day this summer that it hasn't rained:(

Sorry to hear that Potawie,u.k has had similar weather to you as you no and its been getting us all down,its only the last week it has got warmer and drier...but saying that the wetness has come back with vengeance yesterday..Heres hoping it changes for you buddy ;)

Tomatoes and Peppers. That's the whole reason I started my own garden!

Hot Peppers are simply too hard to find here. Tomatoes from the store, 95% of the time are red on the outside and green on the inside and have zero taste.

I remember being a kid an eating tomatoes that were soo sweet from nonno's (well he isn't *MY* nonno, he's my uncles dad but close enough in our family!) garden. Of course this is only my second year growing tomatoes... last year I had some success but mostly failure. This year my plants are looking 10x better but I am awaiting the scourge that is field mice. Last year they demolished my modest harvest and left me with maybe 2 dozen tomatoes.

Anyways... this year I am growing:

sungold
some plain old cherry tomato
patio tomato hybrid
yellow roma cherry
juliet cherry
grape cherry
yellow pear
oregon spring
legendary
black prince
amish paste
speckled roma
early girl
cherokee purple
and one brandywine that I can't recall.

I started the brandywine extra early because last year I couldn't get it to ripen a single fruit out here. This year we've been lucky to get nearly 3 weeks of heat and sun in a row and my garden did amazing. Of course, for the past two days it's been pouring rain and it sounds like it won't let up much till after the weekend.

I also need to find a calcium supplement soon, last year I had a lot of blossom end rot and black spots and I hear that's due to calcium deficiency.

lostmind said:
I also need to find a calcium supplement soon, last year I had a lot of blossom end rot and black spots and I hear that's due to calcium deficiency.

My dad used to crush up a tums antacid and mix it with some water and water his plants with it. Just make sure to get the big tums pills in the clear-ish bottle.

Well I just picked my biggest tomato of the year:P Its an Omar's Lebanese and its about 820 grams. I'm going to have to make some huge burgers now:lol:

This plant is in a huge container in my greenhouse so its been out of the rain

POTAWIE said:
Well I just picked my biggest tomato of the year:P Its an Omar's Lebanese and its about 820 grams. I'm going to have to make some huge burgers now:lol:

This plant is in a huge container in my greenhouse so its been out of the rain

Damn Tomato paste nirvana thats a big tom.

That is by far the most impressive tomatoe I have seen in years if not ever!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad I have some Omar seeds so I can give these a shot myself next season! Now all I need is a giant greenhouse! :)

Great work, you never fail to impress!

Back