• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Tomato Talk

planted some san marzano,gardners delight and some tumbling tom reds as my first venture into toms..all sprouted which is good news.my wifes happy to AlabamaJack about the toms..i dont like conspiracy theroies but..:rolleyes:

Ciao a tutti-

Can you believe it's taken me this long to find this thread? Sheesh! Omri, I'm grinning from ear to ear! You're quite a champ, that's some list you've got there. I predict lots of gifts from your garden this summer or you're chained to the stove in September. :lol:

Potawie, I need a new source for Red Robin. I hope you'll be saving a few seeds and not devouring the entire plant(s) so we can work out some kind of trade. I've sown 6 seeds now and none have come up. I'm pretty sure those seeds aren't older than 2006 so it's a bit disappointing. I've got 2 sets of true leaves on other micro-dwarfs: Hardin's Miniature, Tiny Tim, Florida Petite, Yellow Canary, and Tigerette Cherry.

Someone wanted to know if there's a striped cherry. There are several, actually. Tigerette Cherry is one of them, but it's a really really small plant, something to fit into a flower pot. For something larger, there's Tiger Tom, Tiny Tiger which is a dwarf plant, I think grows only 2-3" tall, and Don Juan, to name a few. Solana Seeds out of Quebec carries a number of these.

Pam, pity about Marianna's Peace. That's one of my very favourite pink beefsteaks and we do have significant humidity during our short summers. Brandywine Sudduth might do well for you, but it's not as productive. Stump of the World is another good large pink and so are Crnkovic Yugoslavian and Sandul Moldovan.

Have fun with your tomatoes! I look forward to following this thread, now that I know it exists!

A few tomatoes from last year's garden:

BeautifulTomatoBasket081307.jpg

Sorellina said:
Ciao a tutti-

Can you believe it's taken me this long to find this thread? Sheesh! Omri, I'm grinning from ear to ear! You're quite a champ, that's some list you've got there. I predict lots of gifts from your garden this summer or you're chained to the stove in September. :lol:
Thanks. narrowed the list down to 25 "only". :P
Sorellina said:
A few tomatoes from last year's garden:

BeautifulTomatoBasket081307.jpg
Yum!

I'll start saving some redrobins if I can remember. The seeds I bought were quite finicky so I'll save lots and try fermenting them.

had a similar problem with red robins POTAWIE just carnt get the seeds to germinate and have tried soaking,warm moist conditions.hot moist(boiler) and 3 differnt soil types and no luck but my manzano,tumbling reds and gardners delight have been fine :)

Ciao all-

Finally finally, I have 2 of 6 Red Robins up that I re-sowed on 9 April. I will definitely be saving seeds and hopefully this will not be an issue next year!

Potawie,

When did you plant the top one and what kind of lighting are you using?

My plant was doing great but recently has really slowed down. I'm thinking it may be the lack of light, as I simply don't have the place set up for tall, large plants yet.

Mike

I can't remember exactly when I started them but likely sometime in January or early Feb. They got a mix of fluorescent lights and some sunlight in the winter, and have been in the greenhouse since the beginning of spring. They stay quite compact for me under fluorescent's especially with slightly cool temperatures and minimal fertilizes, but then they explode when given full sunlight!

red robins POTAWIE am i doing something wrong..planted them twice now ( 2 dif suppliers) and still no joy,but my other 3 varietys have come on fine..any secrets to germination?

Try germinating them in a moist paper towel or coffee filter. I had problems with germination and even some that germinated were mutated with no new growth tips so they just died off. With this variety I just start way more seeds then neccessary and hope for the best.

Ciao all-

I have 3 out of 6 seedlings thriving and putting out first true leaves now. I'll keep you posted on the need for seed, Potawie, but if these guys deliver, I'm definitely going to be saving a lot of seed. Hopefully, it's a seed age thing. The seed I've got now has no recorded save date on it, but I'm guessing 2005/2006. I'll start with fresh seed and go from there.

All in all, really good germination rates. Out of 2 flats of 32 cells each with 2 seeds per cell, I've got roughly 94% germination. I can't complain with data like that.

I usually avoid hybrids but I grew a few of these Patio hybrids for some early compact container tomatoes. I haven't tasted them yet, but soon. They grow very well in pots in my greenhouse :P

I did a little redovating in my little greenhouse the other day. This is over half of my tomatoes but none of the big ones.;)

I like fried green tomatoes, like it in chili, ect, but a fresh juicy uncooked tomato............YUCK!!! :shocked: Especially those little ones that burst in your mouth those are the worst!:lol:

rabbit said:
but a fresh juicy uncooked tomato............YUCK!!! :shocked: Especially those little ones that burst in your mouth those are the worst!:lol:

Those are my absolute favorites...you must be kin to my wife...she will not touch a fresh tomato...but loves all tomato products...

My wife adores fried green tomatoes - slice them, cover them with flour and fry in a skillet. For her, those with broccoli and cheese, and potato pancakes would be a fest fit for a queen.

Mike

guys tomato beginner here iam growing...

san marzano
Tumbling Tom Reds
Gardners Delight

what do yo reccomend for the most flavoursome :)

Here's an impressive sungold plant just full of tomatoes. These are some great tasting cherry toms. Thanks again for the seeds Habman and the recommendation:P

Back