• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

tommys south texas glog '15--FINAL GROW LIST FRONT PAGE 2/9/15

Well after a few months of research and advice from the fine folks here at THP, I'm happy to start my very first glog!

I started the day by building a stand for my lights, now I'm thinking I may need another ballast.
After I set up the stand and lights, I laid down some foam, then my heat mat.
I filled my 7 cup station with MG seed starter and watered in. After mixing the soil around I laid in my seeds.
*Yellow Primo
*SB7J
*Carolina Reaper
*Greek Pepperoncini
*Bush Big Boy Tomato Hybrid
*Pequin x2
I laid saran wrap over top and tried my best to seal it, but saran wrap and I have never seen eye to eye.
Programmed the timer on the light, 18 on, 6 off, going on from 5pm to 11am. I know lights aren't necessary at this point but what the hell.
Should be getting more seeds in the mail soon, so I'll be setting up a bigger station after that. And now for something we hope you'll really like!
Message_1421953912608_zpsmrdto8ew.jpg

20150122_184648_HDR_zps07xlznyh.jpg

20150122_184716_HDR_zps8wjgaqvo.jpg

The station to the right isn't active yet, thinking I may get another mat for it, especially since I found a place locally that sells them.
Thanks for checking out my glog, wouldn't be possible without y'all!

UPDATE 2/9/15: Here is my final grow list, but first, a very special thank you to the following members:
orekoc
jcw10tc
withywindle72
d3monic
dougthehead
transient exuberance
bucdout57
jimbo53

Thanks to all of you for sending me seeds to get me started!

Now here is my final list in order of rounds planted

Round 1 Planted 1/22

Tepin
Greek Pepperoncini
Carolina Reaper
SB7J
Yellow Primo

Round 2 Planted 2/2

Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Bhut
Yellow Brain Strain
Yellow Giant Congo
Yellow Moruga
Bahamian Goat
Carolina Reaper
TM Scorpion
Giant Orange Habanero
Bido Tacana
Murupi Amarela
Caribbean Antillais Habanero
Bonda Ma Jacques
OW Ghost Scorpion
OW Moruga 
9 mystery seeds

Round 3 Planted 2/9

Cayenne x Peter
Red Fatalii x Savina
7 Pot Congo
Caribbean Red Habanero
Mystery Red Moruga
Yellow Spaceship
Chocolate Devils Tongue
7 Pot Caramel
Monster Naga
Peach Scorpion
7 Pot Bubblegum
Yellow Cumari
Cumari Du Para
Mustard Bhut
Purple Jalapeno
Mustard Habanero
Datalii
Yellow Bhut
Little Big Red
Tabasco
Datil
Bolsa De Dulce
Aji Pineapple
Bhut Orange Copenhagen
Aji Omni
Orange Wild Brazil
Paper Lantern Habanero
Jays Peach Scorpion
Chocolate Habanero
Sweet Datil

twilliams386 said:
Thanks for the reinforcement! Trying to learn some patience, and overall to stop trying to be a fixer lol. Just gotta let the babies grow.

Probably so, but not as a vendor yet. You gonna make it out?
Now what the hell is going on with my OW? My other two aren't showing this brown splotchy bs. My initial thought is maybe a little frost bite, we got a very light frost a couple mornings ago. Didn't get below 35, but may have been just enough to effect one of my plants. But why just the one? Weird. Haven't seen any aphids on anything yet thank god. What y'all think?

20150220_131611_zpsteoqjsev.jpg

I would call it a time of year issue. My OW's always get ugly. As long as no bugs are present and you're not over watering they should be fine.

I have 2 plants on the driveway that primarily have been fending for themselves. I came out to go to work one morning and there was frost on the windshield of my truck. I sprinkled water on the 2 plants with the hose and they did fine.

What frost does to a plant is to dehydrate the leaves. It literally sucks the moisture out, hence the the burned look once the damage is done. If the plants are wet the frost never takes hold.

I used this technique on the whole garden several years back. It went down to 26° in late March; the garden was fully planted. Corn, Squash, peppers, tomatoes, everything. I went outside around 4AM and the grass was white with frost. I turned the sprinkler on in the garden. AT 7AM I checked, still dark, and everything was in-cased in ice. I left the sprinkler on until the ice melted, that was around 9AM.  I was sure I would lose everything. I lost just one plant.

I'm no expert, but it couldnt hurt to increase exposure to your brand and your product before opening for business. I don't know what your plans are for this but there's vast potential for this via free advertising through social media, as well as on here. I am interested to see how this works out for you as I had toyed with the idea of doing this at our local farmers market. Best of luck bud, 
Cheers!

East Texas Heat said:
I'm no expert, but it couldnt hurt to increase exposure to your brand and your product before opening for business. I don't know what your plans are for this but there's vast potential for this via free advertising through social media, as well as on here. I am interested to see how this works out for you as I had toyed with the idea of doing this at our local farmers market. Best of luck bud, 
Cheers!
I'm thinking the same way. I already set up a Facebook for the "company" and thanks to friends and family, it's taking off at a good pace.

Now I just gotta get thru the rest of this training and figure out what my schedules gonna be like and how flexible it is. Just got the job as a plant operator at Sherwin alumina, a local metal non metal surface mine that produces alumina from imported soil. Looking like 7 12s, but we will see.

For those that are interested, the new Facebook page is PepperJax Farms. I have my grow list as well as a link to my glog on there. I hope mentioning this isn't considered bad promotion juju, I mean no harm.

But in the grow room, everything's going smooth. No major growth, just puttin along

I'm starting to lean towards the idea of setting up drip lines. Just seems like a much better idea than watering 50+ bags in the hot Texas summer. I've found some pretty good ideas here in the forum, but if anyone has personal advice like do's and donts or opinions on brands or setups, I'm all ears. Got a little bit of time til I have to put up my fence and run some lines

I'm leaning that way as well after spending a half hour a day watering in the heat, this years grow will be even bigger than last. Not sure I can afford to set up any kinda irrigation system. Keep us posted on which way you go with that I'm interested to see what you come up with.

East Texas Heat said:
I'm leaning that way as well after spending a half hour a day watering in the heat, this years grow will be even bigger than last. Not sure I can afford to set up any kinda irrigation system. Keep us posted on which way you go with that I'm interested to see what you come up with.
I'll definitely keep it posted. But from what I've read, drip lines can be super easy and fairly cheap. I'll start looking into it more and post results money wise

Congrats on the job. Been in and out of Sherwin quite a bit, I work for Malek Inc. we do most of the air con work at Sherwin, although I have moved on to service work now I spent quite a few days in that plant. Look forward to seeing you at the farmers market.

Definitely explore setting up a low pressure drip irrigation system on a hose timer. I've been using  for my herb beds and potted peppers for a couple of years now and it's virtually "fire and forget!" Some hose timers also have a port to connect to a rain sensor that will send an override signal to the timer to suspend the watering program at need. Before you set it up, you need to find out what the water pressure is in your outdoor taps and check the hardness of your water. I don't have any problems with hardness, but the municipal water supply here is under such pressure that when the water gets turned on by the timer, it blows the barbed plugs out of the end of the distribution line. I put hose clamps on to prevent this, and had excess water jetting out from the attachment sites for the emitters. I'm going to solve the problem by adding a water pressure reducing valve that'll cut it down to the 20-30 p.s.i. the system was meant to handle. If the system's properly set up, it'll not only save you the time you'd spend watering, but will also save you money if your water is metered like ours is. Keep us posted!

stickman said:
Definitely explore setting up a low pressure drip irrigation system on a hose timer. I've been using  for my herb beds and potted peppers for a couple of years now and it's virtually "fire and forget!" Some hose timers also have a port to connect to a rain sensor that will send an override signal to the timer to suspend the watering program at need. Before you set it up, you need to find out what the water pressure is in your outdoor taps and check the hardness of your water. I don't have any problems with hardness, but the municipal water supply here is under such pressure that when the water gets turned on by the timer, it blows the barbed plugs out of the end of the distribution line. I put hose clamps on to prevent this, and had excess water jetting out from the attachment sites for the emitters. I'm going to solve the problem by adding a water pressure reducing valve that'll cut it down to the 20-30 p.s.i. the system was meant to handle. If the system's properly set up, it'll not only save you the time you'd spend watering, but will also save you money if your water is metered like ours is. Keep us posted!

My raised beds are all set up on drip lines like this as well.

stickman said:
D3monic said:
My raised beds are all set up on drip lines like this as well.
Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna draw up a plan today to put on here, maybe y'all can help me determine what I'll need for the space and setup I'm going to have.

thirdcoasttx said:
Congrats on the job. Been in and out of Sherwin quite a bit, I work for Malek Inc. we do most of the air con work at Sherwin, although I have moved on to service work now I spent quite a few days in that plant. Look forward to seeing you at the farmers market.
Nice, I've seen malek almost everywhere I've worked while in the industry down here. Is Sherwin as nasty as everyone makes it seem? I get to actually go in the plant tmrw for hammer training. Apparently a bunch of guys out there don't know how to properly swing a sledge. But whatever, all training is easy money.
wishing this damn weather would start cooperating, I gotta get my OWs really going, and start introducing sunlight to the babies

That shit just gets on everything, last time I was out there you had the red side and the white side, bauxite on one side of the plant and alumina on the other, it's just everywhere. I'm interested to see my what you come up with for a drip system.

So I went out and took some measurements, I went with 20x20, but can add more of necessary. Drew it up, but I feel like I'm being a little hopeful. If I do 10 rows of 10 in 400sqft that's 4sqft per plant. Is that enough?

20150301_140558_zpsz7chfwiy.jpg

Keep in mind I'm growing in wally bags. About 5-6 gal a piece.

2-foot spacing is plenty for small plants, but some grow over 3 feet tall and require the same spacing. Commercial seeds should have the spacing printed on the packet... for the others, ask around among the folks that have grown those varieties before.

Back