• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Trindad Scorpion on Martha Stewart Show

Well that's interesting then.

Neil from the THSC lists the Trinidad Scorpion as "Probably the hottest chilli on the Planet" he's tried with his Morouga Blend as "Probably the Second hottest chilli on the Planet."

And because the TS Butch T strain wasn't tested, that still leaves hope that there is still a hotter pepper out there for the record books than the TS Morouga blend.

dvg

I asked him this in another thread and he said they didn't specifically grow Butch T types, but they grew a small pod type that he gueses might be BTs. In other words NO, not likely what we know as BTs in my opinion

even better, much down a couple of trinidad scorps whole, then drink a large glass of water, about 500ml. and then when you have to go take a leak, hehehehe..... insane burning pee....
the chilli mixes with the water in your stomach before it gets processed and the pee gets stored in your bladder till later.
Your stomach is basically a food processor, don't be afraid to use it! /evil laughing.

even better, munch down a couple of trinidad scorps whole, then drink a large glass of water, about 500ml. and then when you have to go take a leak, hehehehe..... insane burning pee....

Haha Fubarhouse, you may have inspired a future puzzle in the "Before and After" category on TV's 'Wheel of Fortune' show, with that bit of Super Hot fueled genius.

The Puzzle............XXX.....XXXXXXX.....X.....XXXX

The Answer............HOT SPRINGS A LEAK :rofl:

dvg

even better, much down a couple of trinidad scorps whole, then drink a large glass of water, about 500ml. and then when you have to go take a leak, hehehehe..... insane burning pee....
the chilli mixes with the water in your stomach before it gets processed and the pee gets stored in your bladder till later.
Your stomach is basically a food processor, don't be afraid to use it! /evil laughing.
Capsaicin is not water soluble, try drinking milk instead :)

jim does have the butch t scorps. i overwintered 2 of the plants this year. they are the hottest scorps i've had so far. they taste just like judys butch t but they are hotter. almost too hot to eat.

My god, that sounds like a perfect pizza chili to me.

I saw on Jim's profile a comment he made referring to the BT's "Most regular Scorpion are Butch T pods"
He helped me out a lot last year to get started.

You can't call it the trinni scorp anymore don't you realise they renamed it and claimed it as there own!
Don't give me and trademark and legal bull, because everything they have done and the samples they got tested all pre date any trademark (which is only at the application stage) they renamed a pepper that's been around for year to claim it for themselves which is pretty egotistical.
Renamed is renaming and is usually done with money in mind.
When it come right down to the bottom line it's the peppers that hold the record not the grower, wouldn't you be pissed if you broke some record for human achievement and your trainer changed your name.

I have to disagree on the "Most regular Scorpion are Butch T pods"
I've grown several scorpion versions over the years now and the Butch T is quite unique in my opinion. I wouldn't consider the pods small, and they often don't have full tails/stingers. They also ripen very differently going through a cool transition of colors, and the taste is like battery acid to me. Other scorpions have much better flavor but I believe the Butch T to be pure heatand pain.

I have to disagree on the "Most regular Scorpion are Butch T pods"
I've grown several scorpion versions over the years now and the Butch T is quite unique in my opinion. I wouldn't consider the pods small, and they often don't have full tails/stingers. They also ripen very differently going through a cool transition of colors, and the taste is like battery acid to me. Other scorpions have much better flavor but I believe the Butch T to be pure heatand pain.

Interesting, I've read on a post somewhere which Jim acknowledge you and he respect's your chili wisdom. I have a dozen BT's growing now and can't wait to taste them for myself. What are your thoughts on the previous post from "Davetaylor"? I am tempted to ask Jim, but I know he is really busy now.

Jack

@ jack

Jim did plenty of crowing about the infinity being a renamed 7pot, and he's done the same so what's the difference, oh yea he crowed about the viper being somthing else as well.
Me personally I couldn't give a toss what plant has the record (remember it is the plant and not the person) but renaming plant to suit yourself annoys me.
The whole record thing is a bit 'my dad is bigger than your dad'.
And before you say it's not about money, remember that ion the same statement say the new mexico scorp was being submitted to guinness we were told that sauce makers would be making sauce to raise money for the cpi.

Everyone that goes for the hottest record does it to make money either by getting media exposure for their buiness or by direct sell of seeds and associated products

@ jack

Jim did plenty of crowing about the infinity being a renamed 7pot, and he's done the same so what's the difference, oh yea he crowed about the viper being somthing else as well.
Me personally I couldn't give a toss what plant has the record (remember it is the plant and not the person) but renaming plant to suit yourself annoys me.
The whole record thing is a bit 'my dad is bigger than your dad'.
And before you say it's not about money, remember that ion the same statement say the new mexico scorp was being submitted to guinness we were told that sauce makers would be making sauce to raise money for the cpi.

Everyone that goes for the hottest record does it to make money either by getting media exposure for their buiness or by direct sell of seeds and associated products

I guess I'm being misunderstood; this is only my second year growing the superhots. I just want to know who is "Butch". I don't think that Jim has created or claims to have created the BT's, but I could be wrong. I seemed to have stepped into a chili turf war of some sorts. To be honest I could care less about the names and records. If it's a screamer I want it … beg and steal if I have to, well probably not quite that far. I don't know who the players are or even what the prize is, just don't care. I'm just a simple chili gardener who loves to eat everything hot!! I am truly sorry if I struck a nerve.

Jack

What are your thoughts on the previous post from "Davetaylor"?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'd certailnly have proof before calling someone a liar and making assumptions. I definitely don't like the fact that they changed the name, but maybe it was neccessary as was stated.
We all know its a Trinidad scorpion, and I'm just glad they were finally tested. It just proves what many chileheads have known for years now
Jim has already stated that this will likely make him publicity and money but thats not the main reason for doing these tests. He's also stated that he didn't like the idea of changing the name but now people assume he's doing it to "own" the pepper.
Now calling Jim a liar when it comes to the trademark issues is not really fair is it. I believe all the samples, testing etc. had to be done before the trademark application date, and not the approval date.
I also believe Jim has answered questions fairly so I don't see the reason for twisting the stories

I do however agree that the record should always be given to the pepper and not a person. You'll notice the previous bhut record went to the Bhut Jolokia and not CPI or NMSU

This is news to me.

Is the Trinidad Scorpion going to be renamed, and if so, any idea what the new name will be?

When I googled Trinidad Scorpion Trademark, it seems someone did file an application for trademark in Jan this year.

http://www.trademarkia.com/trinidad-scorpion-85219088.html

Just curious what the implications would be for owning the trademark rights to the name of a popular pepper.

dvg

Butch T is a person that grew a specific strain of the Trini Scorp. Only reason it was named after him is because he was the one to first grow it and shared seeds from that specific strain. afaik.

The problem with the name is that its a Trinidad scorpion being called a New Mexico scorpion
Butch T supplied a lot of seeds when the scorpions were first "discovered" by online chileheads
The name after a variety(ButchT) used to be the seed source and not always a specific strain although in this case it seems to be very different than any other scorpions

Like I said earlier the consideration for calling it another name is because of Trademark application. From what I was told by CaJohn Hard a sauce maker who is on the Chile Pepper Institute Board and also on the Board of Louisiana Pepper Exchange and personal friend of Bosland you cannot Trademark the name of something natural like a chile or a vegetable. He wanted to do it for his Holy Jolokia sauce and after spending a lot of money going through the process was rejected. Tabasco is the only exception he knows and that was almost a century ago when Trademark laws were very different.

Now to answer Beaglestorms questions. All the Scorpions that will be in a new Sauce by CaJohn and El Pinto were my plants grown by Marlin in New Mexico. So calling it a New Mexico variety is not far fetched if someone wants to do that. I may not agree with it but then we do have terms like Hawaiian Pineapple and Georgia Peach don't we??? Sauces will be limited as we only grew a few dozen plants. I have sent Marlin thousands of seeds for Jonah, Douglah, Moruga Scorpion and Scorpion to fill a field. On top of that I have a few hundred seeds started of CARDI, Brain, Barrackapore going to be grown in Marlin's field and here in San Diego. I have gotten seeds of Butch T from a few members here on this forum and will grow them in both locations as well. From what I know now we will have Bosland's people in our fields documenting growth and hopefully do Capsaicin testing at same time we do. All the superhots will be looked at for growth, production, flavor, production and pungency. It is about science but lets not be stupid it's also about money. A lot of sub-standard low pungency material is coming in from India and those that use hot peppers for pepper spray, sauces and spices are looking for an alternative to the Bhut. People look for alternatives when forced to. The Hot Sauce/salsa industry is growing about 20% a year the past 5 years. There is a demand. And if I am part of meeting that demand and you judge me for that so be it.

In response to Dave Taylor. I was told by many of your fellow countrymen that it was a 7 Pot submitted with a new name. The same guys who are trying to set standards for chiles in your country. So take it up with them. Besides you cannot create a new stable variety in one year (Infinity) and two Years (Naga Viper). It cannot happen therefore a new variety cannot exist. I can cross a poodle with a mastiff and what will I have. A mutt!!! And if I breed those mutts I wont have a stable dog breed will I??? Whether it's dogs or plants science still applies. And Guinness who right now is making us authenticate our variety with documentation should have done the same with Infinity. But you cannot verify a variety in any Botanical way and no Horticulturist will sign off on it. So why did Guinness just discard the standards set by Bosland and accept one test from Warwick? Wasnt it Warwick who said a few years ago the Naga Morich tested over 1,500,000 Scoville? It used to be on Gerald's site. It seems credibility and Warwick don't fit together. But that is just my opinion.

Some of us are in this business Mr. Taylor to make money. But we make money by growing more and selling more. Not by making up names and creating make up varieties like Spanish Naga, Satans Kiss Moruga, Naga Viper and Infinity. We don't make up names to sell the same seed twice. We don't take money off some poor fool that thinks he can grow something totally new when he is just buying seeds of another 7 Pot or Scorpion or Naga! Trademark is an issue and the people making sauces are concerned about it. I do not make sauces and will continue to call my seeds and plants Trinidad Scorpion. And if what we grow in New Mexico gets marketed as New Mexico Scorpion mash or fresh peppers I really don't care. Because it will be from New Mexico right? Does Dorset Naga ring a bell???

From what I understand the pepper gets the record. But since the pepper cannot test itself and fill out an application the applicant will be named in the record which would be me. Just as Bosland was named with the Bhut. It is what it is.........

Back