• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Trindad Scorpion on Martha Stewart Show

Okay I keep getting E Mails asking me for Infinity seeds. And links to articles about the Infinity Chile record. Here is what Guinness has on their site

The hottest chili is the "Infinity chili" which has been rated at 1,067,286 Scoville Heat Units (SHU), according to tests conducted by the Warwick University, UK, in March 2010.

Now here's what the owner of the Infinty is releasing the past few days.

UK: 'Record-breaking' chilli is hot news

Experts have pronounced a chilli grown in the market town of Grantham, Lincs, as the hottest in the world. Tests have revealed the "Infinity Chilli" to have a Scoville Scale Rating of 1,176,182

Now here is how he discovered it in 2010. Same press release. "I knew as soon as I saw it in the polytunnel. It stood out, and when I dissected it I could tell by the skin tissue and the seeds that it was a hot one."

Okay so it was only discovered last year once fruiting. That means no documentation or authentication of variety. How can you have a grow log of something you never knew about? You can't because variety was discovered after completion of growing cycle. Now I am going to post what Guinness said we must have. And you will see we are being treated differently.

Guidelines for Hottest Chili
1.A signed statement of authentication must be submitted by a suitably qualified person (e.g. a horticulturist), including a contact address and telephone number. The species and/or variety of plant must be correctly identified and stated in all cases.

3.Details of the growth of the plant(s) must be provided.

4.At least two independent witnesses, including at least one chemist and one horticulturist, must submit statements regarding both the growth process and testing process.

There are 6 requirements I give you the three that are impossible. Impossible for the Infinity because it was discovered after end of plant cycle. You cannot meet these requirements after the fact. Which means Guinness gave this a free pass. Or changed the rules in 2011 for us. Now Guinness has this pepper in it's books at 1,067,000 and British press releases have it at 1,176,182. I am tired of all the Bull coming from England and Warwick. First Naga Morich from Warwick at over 1,500,000. Then Infinty at 1,176,000. The Naga Viper at 1,300,000. It shows me that Warwick has zero credibility and the British media have even less credibility than Warwick.

We ran months of tests and field study and then sent our samples to one of the top food labs in the world in Prairie View, Texas. Do you know that this 3rd party lab we used does more pungency tests in a month than Warwick has done in years! Other countries use this lab. The top Spice corporations use this lab. Some people say I am crying too much about the Infinity or the Viper. Well I have a right to because they are a joke if not an all out hoax! Compared to what Bosland did or us it is an insult to see any of these made up varieties be taken seriously. I would not be so wound up about this but I am tired of people asking me for these varieties.

I hear you Jim. It certainly isn't fair and there is just way too much hype about these other varieties.
I hope you, Dave and Marlin get the recognition for all the work you have done.

Okay I keep getting E Mails asking me for Infinity seeds. And links to articles about the Infinity Chile record. Here is what Guinness has on their site

The hottest chili is the "Infinity chili" which has been rated at 1,067,286 Scoville Heat Units (SHU), according to tests conducted by the Warwick University, UK, in March 2010.

Now here's what the owner of the Infinty is releasing the past few days.

UK: 'Record-breaking' chilli is hot news

Experts have pronounced a chilli grown in the market town of Grantham, Lincs, as the hottest in the world. Tests have revealed the "Infinity Chilli" to have a Scoville Scale Rating of 1,176,182

Now here is how he discovered it in 2010. Same press release. "I knew as soon as I saw it in the polytunnel. It stood out, and when I dissected it I could tell by the skin tissue and the seeds that it was a hot one."

Okay so it was only discovered last year once fruiting. That means no documentation or authentication of variety. How can you have a grow log of something you never knew about? You can't because variety was discovered after completion of growing cycle. Now I am going to post what Guinness said we must have. And you will see we are being treated differently.

Guidelines for Hottest Chili
1.A signed statement of authentication must be submitted by a suitably qualified person (e.g. a horticulturist), including a contact address and telephone number. The species and/or variety of plant must be correctly identified and stated in all cases.

3.Details of the growth of the plant(s) must be provided.

4.At least two independent witnesses, including at least one chemist and one horticulturist, must submit statements regarding both the growth process and testing process.

There are 6 requirements I give you the three that are impossible. Impossible for the Infinity because it was discovered after end of plant cycle. You cannot meet these requirements after the fact. Which means Guinness gave this a free pass. Or changed the rules in 2011 for us. Now Guinness has this pepper in it's books at 1,067,000 and British press releases have it at 1,176,182. I am tired of all the Bull coming from England and Warwick. First Naga Morich from Warwick at over 1,500,000. Then Infinty at 1,176,000. The Naga Viper at 1,300,000. It shows me that Warwick has zero credibility and the British media have even less credibility than Warwick.

We ran months of tests and field study and then sent our samples to one of the top food labs in the world in Prairie View, Texas. Do you know that this 3rd party lab we used does more pungency tests in a month than Warwick has done in years! Other countries use this lab. The top Spice corporations use this lab. Some people say I am crying too much about the Infinity or the Viper. Well I have a right to because they are a joke if not an all out hoax! Compared to what Bosland did or us it is an insult to see any of these made up varieties be taken seriously. I would not be so wound up about this but I am tired of people asking me for these varieties.

I'm not for this, sure it is exciting, but it's pointless in my eyes. A variety that will be hard to get without any of the real companies out there supporting it.
It's a cross-breed. Not only this, it makes me hate Warwick even more, how can they easily give such scores to a pepper. Not only this, it should be subjected to tests in other labs, not just the one that makes everybody look shameless but good in the eyes of somebody who doesn't know?

/grumbles...

I will be happy when the scorpion takes control of the record!

Hey I just looked up wikipedia for naga viper and this was the entry My link but the facts have been disputed due to it being a hybrid. Then I clicked on Infinity Chilli My linkand it has been accepted but with no mention of the cross. This should be disputed too!

Guinness has accepted Gerald's Naga Viper cross.It is official. Here they are making us send in so much documentation especially Pepper Variety Authentication which the Viper cannot prove ever. And yet they just threw out that rule and accepted the Viper. If I was British the Scorpion would be the champ right now.

Can't say I was too happy to hear the news about the New Mexico Scorpion...just another made up name for the Trinidad Scorpion.

What was wrong with the name Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Red, that it needed to be changed to New Mexico Scorpion?

Aren't all of these made up names just clouding the water and confusing growers as to which strain is really which?

What's next, some clown is gonna realize that the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T strain hasn't been tested yet.

"Yep, better get that there Butch T tested so I can rename it the Idaho Scorpion" :rofl:

Then Idaho farmers could have two crops. ;)

dvg

Can't say I was too happy to hear the news about the New Mexico Scorpion...just another made up name for the Trinidad Scorpion.

What was wrong with the name Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Red, that it needed to be changed to New Mexico Scorpion?

Aren't all of these made up names just clouding the water and confusing growers as to which strain is really which?

What's next, some clown is gonna realize that the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T strain hasn't been tested yet.

"Yep, better get that there Butch T tested so I can rename it the Idaho Scorpion" :rofl:

Then Idaho farmers could have two crops. ;)

dvg

We did not rename the pepper. The sauces were going to have that name and they were not my sauces. The peppers name in submission to Guinness record was going to remain Trinidad Scorpion. And there is a big difference for naming a variety where it is grown like New Mexico Big Jim and making up a name for a variety that does not exist like Naga Viper. I have no problem with Dorset Naga, Idaho Potato, Georgia Peach. And I do believe that some of the Scorpions we grew were some Butch T plants. I just never had anybody sell me the seeds as Butch T. But now I have seeds from two sources that say they are Butch T and will compare them to my seed stock when growing this season. You must have me confused with somebody else. I am trying to find out as much as I can about these varieties and see what is the hottest. And do it the right way. If you have ever been to my website you will not see a new name for Scorpion. Only Trinidad, Yellow, Orange or Moruga.

Please PM me for my website. I am not a paid advertiser on The Hot Pepper and do not want to break any rules by doing self promoting in the Forums.

http://www.pitchengine.com/thegarritygroup/new-mexico-team-brings-the-heat-to-chile-world/127617/

Not changing the name of the pepper?

Or
http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/Full-2011-Fiery-Foods-and-BBQ-Show-Info

Be interested to hear your thoughts on this?

I am not part of this. I asked Potawie to post this today on these forums. Did you find it under another topic? I am not happy that my name is being used. All plants were grown by me in San Diego and then taken to New Mexico to put in field. A few were also purchased from Chile Plants.com This press release says we developed a new pepper in New Mexico. Like I said earlier about Naga Viper you cannot develop a new pepper in a short time. So I am quite angry about this being published with my name and without my permission. I am not in support of this Press Release and if it does not go away soon I will come out against it. If you knew me personally you would know I don't compromise on ethics. Even if I have the chance to make money.

I was made aware of it via facebook and was interested to see your response as I'm sure you will agree from the outside in it looks like hypocrisy on a very grand scale.
Before I go any further I must add that I'm not in "team" infinity or "team" naga viper, like yourself I believe the TRINIDAD scorpion to be the hottest pepper in the world and I came to that conclusion because quite simply it's the hottest thing I've ever put in my mouth and I'm sure most chilliheads will say the same and that they don't need a record book to tell them so.
Bottom line is the pepper that's in the "book" will make a lot of money via seed sales/sauces plants etc and good luck to them but I'm bored of listening to people saying it's not fair/not ethical not moral etc because lets face it it's all driven by the dollar and my last post just proves what I've thought all along.
If most of us believe the ts is the hottest why worry what the record book says unless you want to make money off the back of it?
Sounds like you've been shafted by your "mates" who will most likely now milk the uneducated public by unveiling the "new worlds hottest" pepper that's been grown by people for years.
The whole episodes comical if you ask me

These tests seemed like such a great idea at first but now everything appears to be going downhill. What does Marlin Bensinger think of all this?

And here's some more marketing B.S.

"El Pinto, as the leader in high quality salsa, has taken the entire worldwide supply of New Mexico Scorpion chile, totaling approximately one pound, and used it to produce 490 limited edition 16-ounce jars of Scorpion Salsa"

First of all, why was there only 1 LB grown and secondly, its not a New Mexico scorpion, its the same Trinidad scorpion that most of us know. Thirdly, why is there only 1 lb of scorpions in 490 16 oz jars of salsa, I'd think there'd be much more if its supposed to be an extreme salsa.

I have E mailed Dave and gotten no response. There are laws in U.S. that govern truth in advertising. I have E mails that go back 1 year proving whose plants these are and that they are Trinidad Scorpion. There is no documentation about any developing a new pepper. It is all being made up by Dave or this media group. El Pinto put so little of Scorpion into the sauce it would be mild to most of us. They also added Chocolate Habanero to most likely make up for lack of Scorpion in salsa. I ask all of you to question this New Mexico Scorpion on blogs and threads. This needs to be addressed. I have posted my own Interview on this whole Topic of Naga Viper on Scott Roberts Blog Site. I can only do what I can do. I encourage all of you as fellow chileheads and growers to go to Dave De Witt's Fiery Foods website and tell him yourself that you do not like this New Mexico Scorpion thing. You are either going to let your voice be heard or just babble about it on this forum. What do you all think will be the most effective???

I received an email from the pr agency and they are saying the new mexico scorpion is a Trinidad scorpion but they have to call it something else because Trinidad scorpion is TM'd.

Yes, the official variety name is "Trinidad Scorpion," but that name is trademarked, so since our chile peppers have been grown in New Mexico we're using the name "New Mexico Scorpion" when referring to these particular peppers and the products they are used in, to avoid any type of TM infringement.

See comments at: http://thepepperseed...s-in-the-world/

If you read other Press Releases they say they developed a new Pepper. I think you may see that on El Pinto website as well. Trademark in in application process and not approved. Most likely will not be approved because it is name of a plant variety. Like I said earlier CaJohn Hard could not get trademark for Holy Jolokia sauce approved because Jolokia is name of a plant variety. So "New Mexico Scorpion" I don't believe is because of fear of a Trademark it is just hyping a new variety. I am only one person but if all of you E Mail Dave about this New Mexico Scorpion nonsense he might back off on it. Here is his E mail daved@fiery-foods.com Your all chileheads and pepper growers. Let your voice be heard.

It might be somewhat different with CaJohn since jolokia is not really a variety, its a name meaning chile/pepper. You likely couldn't trademark the name chile, pepper, aji, jolokia, pimento etc.

No Cajohn also tried it with his Fatalii sauce. If it is the actual name of a plant variety you cannot Trademark it. Otherwise people would Trademark the names of all plant varieties once they became popular. Here is link to El Pinto Salsa site on New Mexico Scorpion. watch video. They say developed in New Mexico. Dave owns stake in El Pinto. I guess he ignored me and everyone else. http://scorpionsalsa.com/

Back