• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Trindad Scorpion on Martha Stewart Show

It is pathetic to use a naked girl to try and sell salsa. Reminds me of a weed magazine that has pictures of naked chicks holding dope buds. Which is so stupid! Plus I don't see one Trinidad Scorpion chile in that picture. Obviously they are just after money!

What exactly are you asking us to email Dave about? Calling the Trinidad Scorpion a "New Mexico Scorpion?" Or are you asking us to object to the claim that it is a new pepper? Dave's tweets seem to make no claim that it is a new pepper, just that they called it a New Mexico Scorpion to avoid a possible infringement claim since some American citizen has filed a trademark application for the "Trinidad Scorpion." Calling it a different name just seems like good business. Claiming it is a new pepper is an obvious FAIL.

If you read other Press Releases they say they developed a new Pepper. I think you may see that on El Pinto website as well. Trademark in in application process and not approved. Most likely will not be approved because it is name of a plant variety. Like I said earlier CaJohn Hard could not get trademark for Holy Jolokia sauce approved because Jolokia is name of a plant variety. So "New Mexico Scorpion" I don't believe is because of fear of a Trademark it is just hyping a new variety. I am only one person but if all of you E Mail Dave about this New Mexico Scorpion nonsense he might back off on it. Here is his E mail daved@fiery-foods.com Your all chileheads and pepper growers. Let your voice be heard.

I will be furious if the record title goes to "New Mexico Scorpion"......
And this salsa that uses this "new" pepper has been toned down from 1.2M SHU to just 11,000 SHU?

lol?

What exactly are you asking us to email Dave about? Calling the Trinidad Scorpion a "New Mexico Scorpion?" Or are you asking us to object to the claim that it is a new pepper? Dave's tweets seem to make no claim that it is a new pepper, just that they called it a New Mexico Scorpion to avoid a possible infringement claim since some American citizen has filed a trademark application for the "Trinidad Scorpion." Calling it a different name just seems like good business. Claiming it is a new pepper is an obvious FAIL.

Hey Midwest chilehead go back on page 3 of this thread and read Press release. They say they developed a New Pepper. Then go to link for El Pinto Video here on page 4 of this thread I provided. Jim Garcia says they developed it. So forget Dave's Tweets and instead look at the press release done by media group he hired here http://www.pitchengine.com/pitch/127617/

Then see video here http://scorpionsalsa.com/ I really wish people would read through entire thread. Do you know how easy it is to edit a press release blog? Or a video? I have asked in multiple E mails for Dave and his media group to not say a new pepper was developed or created. I have been ignored. People on this thread know I was part of the whole project. Also know I don't like re-naming or claiming a new pepper. You all can do what you wish. I have stuck my neck out for what I believe in. Now I am already booked for his show and will talk to him face to face. Maybe he might change his mind? Maybe not? If he refers you to his tweets then ask him about these two links. Have a good night:)

We can see where you are coming from, and I think we all can see that you care for the truth to be known. Only thing is that when you keep coming at the community with this "e-mail him" stuff it all begins to appear as if its revenge or retribution of some sorts.

Look, we can all tell that this guy is a snake charmer trying to pull a fast one for a quick buck. It wont succeed though. This stuff is not something that a regular Joe is going to stumble across in a Wally World or K-Mart. Its not a product that those not in the know would go for. So the way I see it, let him try. It just makes him out as a fool. False advertising is crooked, and because of his actions he will not hold any regards to those here that admire the hobby.

Thanks for your passion and the info. Not trying to take a shot at you, but let this fool lay in the bed he made for himself. It may make him rich, but all get their just desserts in due time :flamethrower:

Best of luck to you in your adventures of capitalism :cheers:

Sent out a few twits to Dave, his mass reply was

I can't deal with questions about NM Scorpion via Twitter. Please email your questions to me and I'll answer them--after the show.

Seems like he is dogging all questions about the pepper until the show is over i.e after he has made the maxim profit off of the story.

Let the free market play ;)

Even usa today gets it wrong :(

"It's called New Mexico Scorpion Chile, a new breed with a particularly nasty bite, and it's the explosive ingredient in a namesake salsa also debuting this week."

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2011/03/worlds-hottest-chile-debuts-at-albuquerque-food-show/145524/1

Here is what I got up on the web a few days ago. Hope it is accepted by all of you here on The HoT Pepper http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/San-Diego-Chile-Grower-Grows-World-Record-Hot-Chiles
Take care I am getting packed for the Fiery Foods Show.

I just got back from the show. Saw Dave for a quick hello. El Pinto ("which he invests in") made over 500 jars of a really crappy tasting salsa. $25 a jar and called New Mexico Scorpion Salsa. Now Cajohn Hard made 36 small 2 ounce bottles of Scorpion Puree out of my chiles. John used about 4.5 Pounds to make them. El Pinto used less than 1 pound of my chiles to make 500 16 ounce jars of so called Scorpion salsa. So we did the math. That comes to .000625 of an ounce of Scorpion in each jar!!! Most of the real sauce makers are laughing so hard right now. I don't have to give Dave De Witt a hard time. He and El Pinto have done it to themselves. All future testing and ventures into superhots will be done without his involvement. I met two reps from Chile Pepper Institute and they are going to try and get Paul Bosland involved with me and Marlin. And if Paul has no time then some others from Institute will work with us. I will be shipping plants to institute in April and we will keep records of plants grown in 4 locations. Three in New Mexico and here in San Diego. I am going to try and get a Horticulturist to document mine in San Diego. Will give more details later. And we are calling it Trinidad Scorpion or Trinidad 7 Pot.

I originally received the Trinidad Scorpion seeds from a former MSN Pepper forum & C2C member(the forum was closed by MSN) named Mark, he simply told me it was as hot as anything he ever ate, which tweaked my interest and I requested a few seeds from him which I grew out, after tasteing the first pod I knew how special it was and dedicated the entire season to saving seeds to give out the, "Coast 2 Coast pepper company way" I posted pictures of the pods and Mark had remarked that the ones I grew were more "well defined" than the ones he grew, why? idk.
The name Trinidad Scorpion ButchT was coined by some of the growers in OZ, Hippy, Nova, Potawie,? Because of the way I labeled my seed packets I guess.(I would put the pepper name first, my name second then the year the seeds were from) Neil was pushing this pepper from the first time he videoed himself eating it! I am extremely happy to see the world record go to someone who has dedicated his life to eating and growing peppers, the fact that he acknowledged that the seeds originally came from me was a bit of a shock and delight, that that type of values was still present in this competitive world. I tip my hat to you Mr. HippySeed!

ButchT

Well said Butch, thanks for sharing our love of everything hot.

Until the day my head hits dirt i shall always refer to the pepper as BUTCH T! Without you intuition we may never have had the chance to try this awesome variety, i tip my glass to you later on. It will be full of beer. :cheers:

Great job Neil and Butch
I always called it the Trinidad scorpion- BT just because that was always the way in the past that chileheads labelled seeds, with the name and then the supplier and date. These days its sort of shifted from supplier name to naming the actual variety, although I still like to name my seed source

For some weird reason, I never threw away unused seeds, I just keep them stored and labeled with the original packing. so if for some horrible reason I haven't got any new seeds of my own, I'll go back and take some more. if I do have my own seeds, well they just stay there, gathering dust and becoming a memory.

Here is the original pack of seeds sent to my by the honorable Butch commenting above me:
nl9639.jpg

It is no doubt the hottest chile I've ever eaten and hottest of all Trinidad Scorpions I've grown over the years. it was also the parent of the high-heat hybrid I've made - OSE12, which is not yet stabilized, but would like to think is at least as hot as its parent.

I have several concerns regarding this all dispute.
Regarding the actual record, there is no doubt the name of the chile should be the Trinidad Scorpion as we all know it.
Now there is also a story to go with the record. one that will become a part of our so-called history. will it be of how they created a new species in New Mexico? I think not. I also think it wouldn't be honorable to claim they discovered it. it has been going around between chileheads for years, even before the official reveal of the Bhut Jolokia. people like Butch, Sara, CARDI Institute (I know the "I" in the end stands for "Institute", but just to make it clear) and many others should be credited for spreading the word. now about making money... of course, most of the guys in this business are indeed doing business. it is only logical for people to take advantage of opportunities. Neil bought 'trinidadscorpion.com' and that's ok. Ronnie trademarked Trinidad Scorpion and that's ok as well. but do not rename the chile. do not make the effort of all those people nothing. call the "The Scorpion Chile" if you're too afraid to use the Trini part, but don't make it your own by adding new to it. Jim compared the New Mexico Scorpion to the Dorset Naga and he's right. it doesn't mean it's right! people who have gained seeds of a chile and grown it, should not take ownership of it!

To sum it all up, I'll never forget the first time I've tried one of Sara's Scorpions and cried like a little girl.

Back