• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

tsurrie's 2016 glog

So this is the new season... can't wait to put the seeds in the dirt.
I just finished preparing the grow "corner" for my future seedlings, and everything works fine.

atestledsfans.jpg

The lights are prepared and I plan not to go over 200 plants this year.. but we'll see how that goes.

Like last year ... I'm planning to grow mostly chinense's and annums... but there will be some baccatums (Aji Lemondrop, Aji Amarillo,...) and pubescens (Rocoto,...) that  hogleg sent me....

I'm still working on the final grow list.
But I'm really looking forward to start the action in a week or so.

I planted some backups today because I'd really like to grow these and there is not enough or even none sprouts...
As chili, Bhut Jolokia, Aji Umba, Chocolate Hab.
backups05022016.jpg

Also some more sprouts today: Jalapeno, Biberiye and Pequin

New ones since yesterday: Serrano, Fatalii Yellow and Corno di toro rosso

groupshota08022016.jpg

Two groups of the seedlings are getting tall and looks like they're stretching. I figure I should probably have the lights on whole day long when it's cloudy outside. I'm still going for the daylight+LED combo during the day. The daylight lasts until 5pm and then I have the LEDs turn on (on timer). Well, gonna just have to bury them deeper when transplanting I guess ;)

groupshotb08022016.jpg

There are also some helmet heads among them, but it's not much of a problem as I sprinkle them often with water to soften...

santis00 said:
Looking good! Have any issues separating then growing that many in close proximity?
No issues at all. I separate them on time so the roots are small and not even nearly tangled. Then later when they are bigger and in solo cups, I just give them the space they need. Got two extra shelves and if that's not enough they also go into other rooms.

New sprouts since yesterday: Sigaretta Biondo (non hot), Manzano, Mazamort, Pepperoncini and Hungarian Hot Wax

... and Bonda ma Jacques

NeedsWork said:
You eat a lot, and I mean a lot, of jogurt.   :P
Haha.
I do like it, but not that much. I got the cups from the cook that was working in the factory I used to work in. She even washed them for me :)

These cups are the best so I used them a lot.. No commercial for jogurt intended. So sorry.

Missed one: Caribbean Red Habanero... it happens :rolleyes:

Sprouted about a week ago, judging by the size and the number of sprouts... 

Also noticed some little critters - like worms with no color... very very small.
Anybody knows what they could be?

Will spray less to reduce dampness, maybe it will help.
It's Asef soil... I'm using it every year.... and I was thinking about microwaving it this year but just didn't took the time.

Comptine said:
I bought nematodes and that helped me. Once you've got them drying the medium did nothing, they were still around. You could try it though, and put up those sticky fly traps, that will keep the adults from laying new egg. 

you mean like "Steinernema feltiae" you can find even on amazon? .. interesting .. will ask around local shops if they can get any, in case I get overload of gnats... until then I'll apply some sticky traps.
thanks

Yes, those are the ones I bought. I got mine off a gardening website, but it's a swedish one, we don't have amazon here. 

tsurrie said:
Haha.
I do like it, but not that much. I got the cups from the cook that was working in the factory I used to work in. She even washed them for me :)

These cups are the best so I used them a lot.. No commercial for jogurt intended. So sorry.

You inspired me to start saving my dairy containers rather than sending them to the recycling bin.  They are 50% larger than solo cups.   

Really like the setup you got going on. Love the leds and fans. I currently have a similar setup, smaller and with cfl bulbs, but would love to eventually switch to led. Is there any change you could tell me some more about the built and tech? I also read that you are currently keeping the daylight/led combination, but how do think those leds would do as the main light source? 

Thanks for sharing
// Casper

AyeCasperJack said:
Really like the setup you got going on. Love the leds and fans. I currently have a similar setup, smaller and with cfl bulbs, but would love to eventually switch to led. Is there any change you could tell me some more about the built and tech? I also read that you are currently keeping the daylight/led combination, but how do think those leds would do as the main light source? 

Thanks for sharing
// Casper
Thanks. It's a homemade box from wood and pvc foil. The led's were ordered from china. I have 10 bars with 36 leds on each which sums up to about 60W alltogether. Got everything hooked to a 12V/100W power supply.
The fan's are mainly 8cm classic cooling fans you can find in any old computer case or computer power supply unit. Most of the time they're running on 6V so they dont produce much noise. You can wire them together (paralell) to almost any power adapter from 3V - 12V.

To sum it up: the leds are powerful enough to grow seedlings up to the point you usually transplant them outside. But I doubt you could grow them further and get fruit. I won't even try ;)

tsurrie said:
Thanks. It's a homemade box from wood and pvc foil. The led's were ordered from china. I have 10 bars with 36 leds on each which sums up to about 60W alltogether. Got everything hooked to a 12V/100W power supply.
The fan's are mainly 8cm classic cooling fans you can find in any old computer case or computer power supply unit. Most of the time they're running on 6V so they dont produce much noise. You can wire them together (paralell) to almost any power adapter from 3V - 12V.

To sum it up: the leds are powerful enough to grow seedlings up to the point you usually transplant them outside. But I doubt you could grow them further and get fruit. I won't even try ;)

My current set-up is around 90 watt all together, but doesn't nearly provide enough light for that many plants. The plants are not even outside yet and already thinking about my set-up for next season. This pepper growing thing sure is addicting!  :surprised:

Back