• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Vincent's restarted 2014 glog***April 1st Pic Update***

I figured it was close enough to go ahead and start my 2014 grow. I have already sown many seeds and have a few seedlings as well. Some of you may have seen towards the end of my last grow I had an in-ground garden plot tilled. It's fairly large at 30' long by 25' wide, so it'll hold way more plants than I could ever use lol. I will fill it as much as I can without going overboard..... I am going to be growing the wilds in root pouches just for convenience mainly, I will overwinter all of them hopefully. I just don't want to have to dig them up and worry about damaging their roots. I have about 15-20 seedlings under the T5's right now along with a good bit ofs eeds I'mwai ting to pop up, and my lonely hydro plant (Yellow Daisy Cutter).

Here is a list of the seeds I've sown so far. The ones with a * beside it indicates that at least one has sprouted. This is definitely not a final list and will change constantly until mid January probably.

Forgot to add C. Parvifolium to that list. No sprouts yet though.

I will probably add

MOA Scotch Bonnet
Not Black Naga X Yellow Scotch Bonnet (my own cross, will not release)
My unnamed black hybrid (will not release)
7 pot Primo X (can't release)
7 Pot Jonah Yellow
7 Pot Chaguanas Yellow
7 Pot Rennie Red
7 Pot Rennie Brown
Brazilian Ghost Pepper
Cili Goronong
7 Pot Barrackpore Chocolate *pending trade*
Trinidad Scorpion VV7
Aji Pineapple
UBSC

There's a few more I can't remember. I am almost certain I will have to make some cuts, but I don't know which ones that will be lol. Some of them I'm only growing 1 plant just to (a)see if I like it, and (b) I'm runnning out of seed.

orangehero said:
Yeah, with starter mix if you don't plant deep enough you can have issues.

You can put drops of water on the seedcoat whenever you remember. Some people are good at surgery, but I get better outcomes just leaving them be.

Those cubes look really convenient and your seedlings are coming up great. I would prefer if they were smaller though, you don't need all that room to sprout a pepper seed. I'm using a 200 plug flat to start mine this year.
You can buy smaller sheets. Mine is 104 cells per sheet, but they make a 276 cell sheet. Still fits in a 1020 tray.
maximumcapsicum said:
What do you guys do when you get a stubborn helmet?
I'll try to keep it super humid for a couple of days and hope it slips off. After that, I'll go at it with 2 pairs of tweezers and hope it makes it

Hey Vincent, you can use a nail clipper to snip apiece of the
seed helmet off very carefully.  Otherwise keeping the seed
jacket wet and squeezing it with tweezers is pretty effective,
as OH said.  I use tweezers with serrated jaws to grip the
seed jacket firmly, and squeeze the 'seam' so the seed jacket
kind of opens up.  I probably get a 70% success rate on the
surgeries, sometimes you just lose one.

Happy New Year!

So I planted way too many seeds and I could never bring myself to chop down any seedling. So I ran out of room under the 4ft 6 bulb t5 fixture I use. I had gotten a gift card ($100) for Christmas and was trying to find a good light for that amount or less. After looking around and asking people on here, someone suggested I build a nice DIY CFL grow light. And that is what I have decided to do. It's not finished yet but I do have all the parts. I'm shooting for finishing it up this weekend. Anyways, I figured I'd post some pictures and a how-to of sorts. Anyways, here we go.

Parts list:
1.(2) 6 outlet surge protectors (you can only use one depending on how many lights you want/need)
2. (6) socket adapters
3. (6) Y socket adapters
4. (1) 4" X 24" sheet of aluminum (I am using a piece of aluminum ducting flattened out)
5. (10) CFL bulbs (you can use any wattage you want but the general consensus is the 26w are the best to use, but I am not positive)

Ok here are some stats for you

Total watts used = 238 (using the bulbs I have)
Total lumens (10 bulbs of different watts) = 15,230!
I had 4 Cfl bulbs laying around the house and I used them so all of my bulbs are not the same wattage or K temp. They all are either 4100k & 6500k.

Total cost for me = $72.61. I bought everything listed except for 2 of the bulbs.

I will be securing the surge protectors to the aluminum by punching holes in the sheet and running zip ties through them.

Here's a few pictures

Surge protector

Socket adapter

Y adapter

Aluminum

Everything

Nice grow light mod cousin! I did something similar last year, but didn't make a reflector above... in fact, it was a stackable system with the light bars fastened to the underside of the shelf above, and the waste heat from the CFL bulbs warmed the trays above with the seedlings in them and boosted growth.
SANY0383_zpsee53859d.jpg

In the end, I had light bars fastened under the two middle shelves and the droplights clamped to the sides on top as shown.

SANY0433_zps48c0ae77.jpg

Where I fastened the light bars underneath the shelves I taped two outlet strips back to back and had a total of 4 bulbs per shelf.

Well, here's another great glog I've been missing.  I had to skim over most of it to get to the lighting stuff, but I saw a great grow list back there.  I'll be really interested to see how those unusual species turn out.

Love the grow light.  That's really packing the lumens in there.  I'm sticking with my ancient T12s for the germination station, but have supplemented the secondary growth station with these CFLs in reflector clamp lights like Rick showed above.  I did some shopping around and these Westpointe lamps seemed to have the best price/lumen ratio of the ones I looked at.  On the other hand, I had one burn out and they don't really have a warranty on them.  The ones that made it past the first week last year are still going strong.  I'm hoping to start experimenting with LEDs this season, but better get busy if it's going to happen.

Nice lighting! That looks like something 13k lumens, all in the 5000k and up... about double the power of the one I built. Will be fun to watch! Hope it doesn't get too hot!

Happy growing!

spicy_echo said:
coheed I'm looking to do a very similar light setup. Did you just mix and match bulbs? I've looked at a few 26w CFL bulbs but can't really decide on what to go with.
Just mixed wattage bulbs. I had a hard time finding more than one box of 6500k of the same wattage for some reason. And I already had the 2 smaller ones at home so I just used those lol. Definitely not fancy, just something for extra light really
maximumcapsicum said:
Nice lighting! That looks like something 13k lumens, all in the 5000k and up... about double the power of the one I built. Will be fun to watch! Hope it doesn't get too hot!

Happy growing!
It's a little over 15,000 lumens and it doesn't get any hotter than the T5's really. If it is, it's not by much

maximumcapsicum said:
Love the three coty sprouts. That's hot to give them some kind of edge right?

Happy growing!
Eh, who knows. You would think it would be a good thing since the cotys feed the plant while it works on growing true leaves.

Back