• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Holy Smoke December Throwdown

Best Smoke? Who has the best unique BBQ using traditional BBQ method?

• chilliman - Jamaican Jerk Chicken

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • THP - Middle Eastern Not Southern Smoked Pork Loin W/ Pomegranate Paprika Pulp BBQ Sauce On Zaatar

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Deathtosnails - Greek Stuffed Leg Of Lamb

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • POTAWIE - POTAWIE's Cured And Smoked Picnic Ham With Jalapeno-Maple Glaze

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • JayT - JayT's BBQ Wet-n-Wild Boar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JayT - Jay T's BBQ 6-Point Buck Roast

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
JayT said:
I'm going a little exotic too I guess. I will be doing wild boar ribs and venison roast.

Bastard! I'm cryin' here now! To think I don't have a charcoal or wood smoker is bad enough but now you go and pull the wild game card. That's it...I've consulted my witch doctor and he has advised me to drink heavily....that is..after mrs. blues party.

Hey I gotta do something to compete. THP is going off to the East with the Moroccan thing so I have to do something to be different. You have a good time with your little party tonight and come back strong tomorrow. I'll drink one for you tonight.

Some of my ingredients for tonights Q'in
That wood at the bottom is Bay. That and Nectarine will be my smokin' wood.

PC060289.jpg

texas blues said:
What? No plating pics? Does that qualify as a...

I will add him for future, errr "reference". :cool:

I cant give him a fail just yet, that chook is too sexy...

De-boned leg of lamb stuffed with sun dried tomato, olives, rosemary, greek fetta and lemon juice.

PC060290.jpg

Into the marinade of greek yoghurt, garlic, rosemary, pepper, salt, lemon zest, lemon juice and fresh bay leaves.

PC060292.jpg

chilliman said:
we had no plates ???? we picked the carcass from the smoker ??? (and not in rules)
It should have been a banana leaf - which is what came to mind now. :doh:
Would of worked for a BBQ too ...

Just imagine it on a banana leaf all pretty ;)

Yeah, should have sectioned and plated, all we can see here is the chicken skin, not the chicken. In a smoking comp it's important to see the meat for the juiciness, smoke ring, etc. These comps are all about the pics and presentation since we can't taste it ;).

Sounds tasty though.

Deathtosnails said:
De-boned leg of lamb stuffed with sun dried tomato, olives, rosemary, greek fetta and lemon juice.

PC060290.jpg

Into the marinade of greek yoghurt, garlic, rosemary, pepper, salt, lemon zest, lemon juice and fresh bay leaves.

PC060292.jpg

Man! Now talk about a teaser. I was drooling and waiting to click to page two of this thread to see how it turned out. Click... NOTHING! Where's the lamb dammit? :onfire:

THP !! Your lions looks good and the ingredients you are using sound intriguing. I'll have to try and find some of them here. Paprika Pulp & Pomegranate Concentrate are the things I want to taste. I like your use of Za'atar. Did you make yours ? I liked the whole sesame seeds. With mine I ground them up and they want to become butter pretty fast. Like the whole seeds.

Chilliman .... your bird looks pretty good , but like others have said ..... needed to be plated. Also I'm not saying your ingredients are wrong if you like what you did. I think I'm a Jerk King ... a legend in my own mind I know ... but I'd NEVER use paprika. Simply not a common spice used by Yardies. And I'd use a lot of green onions. Don't mean to sound negative , I just see jerk a bit different. I'm sure you and your mates totally enjoyed the carnage. It would have been nice to test taste it ... to see if my "pure " Jerk thinking is all wrong.

Deathtosnails ...... Dang !! Now that looks really good !! Starting from the first photo...... Can't wait to see the money shots !!

Good luck to everyone !!

Peace,
P. Dreadie

thehotpepper.com said:
Thanks!

Here's some pics of the pomegranate paprika BBQ sauce in the making. This is not a tomato-based sauce, it is pure hot paprika pulp imported from Turkey based. Consistency is like tomato puree but the taste is phenomenal. More on the ingredients in the finale post. I think my next post will be the plating.

Ooooh, that sounds good...

[heads off to nearest middle eastern grocery store looking for canned paprika pulp]

Greek stuffed leg of lamb

Smoked over Bay and Nectarine for 3 1/2 hrs
PC060293.jpg

Served with fresh baked bread and char grilled capsicum,birdseye chilli and oven roasted garlic sauce.
PC060297.jpg

I'm quite proud of the fact that I could even manage to take a photo last night. I was slightly inebriated:drunk:

Deathtosnails said:
Smoked over Bay and Nectarine for 3 1/2 hrs
PC060293.jpg

Served with fresh baked bread and char grilled capsicum,birdseye chilli and oven roasted garlic sauce.
PC060297.jpg

I'm quite proud of the fact that I could even manage to take a photo last night. I was slightly inebriated:drunk:

And a nice photo at that. Even in focus.

P. Dreadie said:
THP !! Your lions looks good and the ingredients you are using sound intriguing. I'll have to try and find some of them here. Paprika Pulp & Pomegranate Concentrate are the things I want to taste. I like your use of Za'atar. Did you make yours ? I liked the whole sesame seeds. With mine I ground them up and they want to become butter pretty fast. Like the whole seeds.
Thanks man! Yeah, the Middle Eastern store rocks, visit one if you have one. I made everything except the Zaatar, I bought that there too! I'll give it a go sometime.

NoVa Hothead said:
Ooooh, that sounds good...

[heads off to nearest middle eastern grocery store looking for canned paprika pulp]

Thanks. Take a trip you'll fine lots of cool stuff.

Snails, the lamb is slammin'!

thehotpepper.com said:
Thanks man! Yeah, the Middle Thanks. Take a trip you'll fine lots of cool stuff.

We've got several in the area, that's where I go to buy halloumi cheese to make saganiki. Haven't seen this product before, going to have to look a bit closer for other pepper related items.

wow, these all look really good, and I'm drooling here.....

Alas, I just won't have time to join this throwdown as other things have loaded up my weekend :(

Deathtosnails, You still need to name your meal....Unless I've just missed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back