• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Holy Smoke December Throwdown

Best Smoke? Who has the best unique BBQ using traditional BBQ method?

• chilliman - Jamaican Jerk Chicken

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • THP - Middle Eastern Not Southern Smoked Pork Loin W/ Pomegranate Paprika Pulp BBQ Sauce On Zaatar

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Deathtosnails - Greek Stuffed Leg Of Lamb

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • POTAWIE - POTAWIE's Cured And Smoked Picnic Ham With Jalapeno-Maple Glaze

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • JayT - JayT's BBQ Wet-n-Wild Boar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JayT - Jay T's BBQ 6-Point Buck Roast

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
chilliman, what did you smoke it with? Looks like just charcoal in the bottom.

moyboy said:
Deathtosnails, You still need to name your meal....Unless I've just missed it?
Greek stuffed leg of lamb

It's right in the title of the finale post ;)

Everything so far has been looking good. I am hoping for more entries! I will be making my debut tomorrow. For now, consider me...lurking. :onfire:

I'm lurking and don't meet the requirements to enter and all I can say is everyone's entries so far have made my McDonald's meal really suck. :lol:

thehotpepper.com said:
chilliman, what did you smoke it with? Looks like just charcoal in the bottom.

Apple wood.

As said earlier, it never made it 1 ft from where it was cooked I wish I had plated for this but I wasnt thinking... hungry and drunk.
The tomato imparts all its juice into the chook as well ;) So I assure its the juiciest.

Pepperfreak said:
I'm lurking and don't meet the requirements to enter and all I can say is everyone's entries so far have made my McDonald's meal really suck. :lol:

Not mine....

But that is a post for another day...;)

Probably lol. Had lamb last night. What's your deal with lamb?

not meant to hijack the thread, but you asked...

long time ago when I was about 8 years old in deep south Mississippi where I grew up, I walked thru the woods over to my grandfathers brothers house(great uncle)...no one was home and back then no doors were locked ever...so I went out to the back of the house where the kitchen and "dining" room was and saw a pot on the stove...it was cold so I took the lid off and there were some chunks of meat in there...I grabbed one and took a big bite...that is where my dislike for any lamb products comes from...it was cold mutton and my first bite was into cold talor...never again will I touch any...I can still smell and taste that awful stuff today....

back on subject...I will be waiting to vote...gotta get busy processing....later all..

I wanted to try something new and decided to start with curing a pork picnic roast to make a smoked picnic ham. The roast only cost me $8 for 8 Lbs but its full of bone and fat which is great for slow cooking. The cure/brine consisted of salt, sodium nitrate, honey, jalapeno and other dried pepper powders, and some spices and hot sauces which I can't remember now. The pork was injected with cure and then brined for about 5 days, I decided to cold smoke it on Friday. This cold smoking step isn't really needed but I think it makes for some good end results, and I needed to use some wood fuel for the throwdown

Getting some hickory coals going
4158401362_0f12c57e5e.jpg

Beginning smoking
4161151430_f247c21837.jpg

12 hours of smoke
4160408731_f6526e99eb.jpg

4160418779_a0bd7f8736.jpg

to be continued

POTAWIE likes his ham smoked!

Will be interesting to see how you plate this. Man I think if you put it on fresh baked rye with spicy mustard you may win my vote lol. :)

POTAWIE's cured and smoked picnic ham with jalapeno-maple glaze

Now the pork has been hot smoking for a while
4161194544_029fd8899b_b.jpg

Nice color after a Jalapeno/maple syrup glaze. Flipped over only for pic. Fatty on the side
4162778331_620e3c6272_b.jpg

I removed the fat-cap, glazed the exposed surface, tryed a snack, and then smoked some more
4162778333_6e53fbe117_b.jpg

I was going to go with kaiser buns but the damn things went moldy so I ended up using some good whole grain toast. I was also out of good mustard so I went with regular and dijon for this one.
Once again my foofoo is lacking but here's the finished product
4162778339_76dfb8e82f_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back