• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! - Steak - January 2010 Throwdown

Vote for STEAK based on RECIPE and PRESENTATION (disregard internal temp.)

• Novacastrian - Holy 23, The Jordan Would Have Had No Problems

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • ImpyChick - She Got The Bleus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • chilehunter - chilehunter's CI Branded Ribeye

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • JayT - JayT's Holiday Steak

• Noshownate - Spicy Sirloin Fillet w/Tarragon Mustard Sauce

• paulky_2000 - Circle-H-Bistro Filet

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Deathtosnails - OMG..It's TWINS with Red Wine Jus, Creamy Mashed 'Taters and Fresh Baked Bread

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • texas blues - TB's Grilled Dry Aged Ribeye w/Bearnaise, Sweet Potato Skins, Swiss Chard

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • frydad4 - Frydad's Coal Steak Habanero Thermidor

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Pepperfreak - Garlic Steak Extravagansa

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Conception

2005 Tahbilk Shiraz reduction with fresh bay leaf, parsley, beef consomme, sea salt and 3 birdseye chilles.
P1040341.jpg

Olive oil, oven roasted garlic and rosemary. This is the marinade for the steak.
P1040342.jpg

One Scotch Fillet with great marbling of fat. Yummo!
P1040343.jpg

Desiree 'Taters with oven roasted garlic, cream, sea salt, THSC's Pepper Pepper, pepper, parsley and full cream milk.
P1040344.jpg

"OMG..It's TWINS with red wine jus, creamy mashed 'taters and fresh baked bread"

Fillet marinading in the oil.
P1040345.jpg

It's done. It's TWINS! with fresh baked bread with lashings of butter, some sea salt and parsley with a glass of Shiraz.
P1040347.jpg

STEAK YUMMINESS!!!
P1040348.jpg

DROOL...
P1040349.jpg

Now that one is gonna be a tough one to beat that looks very tasty..... wow it's 0830 and drooling already.haha

Right i will be off to the shop shorlty to get my stuff!!
What shall i get mmmmm let me think!!

thehotpepper.com said:
Paul, no heat on the steak? Chopped habs on the mushrooms? You almost had a win... but where da heat???!!!!!

Lemme esplain...

The heat comes in with the bhut/fatalli powder that was in the marinade AND on the meat before I wrapped it. Hard to tell, I know....but it's there...trust me!

100_0991.jpg

There's also a healthy amount of crushed cayenne on this one too. Retta's, of course, did NOT! ;) Let me say it was plenty hot.....but yet didn't melt my head in the process.

Novacastrian said:
Yeah Paul where da heat mang? I see your paltry 2 habs and raise you four Bih's! :rofl:

It's there....it's just not dancing all over the plate....:rofl: By the way...I WISH I had access to bihs!!

texas blues said:
He had plenty of heat! Retta was right there!

Holy mother of beefdom! The PaulKy Posse turns a potential FAIL into a magnificent WIN!!!

Thank you!!

Oh my lord....you have NO IDEA how upset I was when I saw he had butterfied my fillet.....Pissed off doesn't quite describe my state of mind. I did, indeed turn a fail into a WIN. Not only did I save the fillet, but I also devised a clever scheme to keep all the cheese from oozing out while roasting. Besides...it allowed me to use more BACON!!

This was a fantastic meal....the meat was a tad more on the done side than I prefer, but was so tender you could slice it with your fork.

Again...thanks for all the wonderful comments!

Right i have just come back from the shop(asda) and no yes i mean no!!! decent beef left people have been panic buying so i am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pissed off!! I really wanted to kick your butts at this... am almost cryin man's..:oops:

Well i was going to do a steak diane with a hab twist.. nice cream and shroom sauce with flambe steak with brandy and hot mustard mash and of course asparagus with a lemon and caper butter... BUT I CAN'T BECAUSE ALL THE +++KIN STEAK HAS GONE SOME ASSHOLES BOUGHT IT ALL!!!!!

oh i am sooo sooo pissed damn it i am just gonna drink!! I think i should win on that alone.. i need a shoulder to cry on!!:(:(:(

I do think you have a beautiful plate Paul, but I don't think it is going to make any difference. I think deathtosnail has come in from left field and crushed us on this one. I am so disappointed in my pictures. It was so much better than it looked. Too cluttered I think.

JayT said:
I do think you have a beautiful plate Paul, but I don't think it is going to make any difference. I think deathtosnail has come in from left field and crushed us on this one. I am so disappointed in my pictures. It was so much better than it looked. Too cluttered I think.

Perhaps....it IS a damn fine presentation! I love surf and turf....and yours with the crab AND shrimp??? What more could you possibly ask for? I also agree with the drunk photographer comment....except in my case, the CHEF got snookered and forgot to take the meat out of the skillet while it was resting....causing it to continue cooking.....EH! I still think I have a contender!

I agree with Jay's assessment. I think deathtosnail must have been a ringer, I mean where did all of that foofoo come from?

Que pasa ya'll? Appears there is some mighty fine fare that's been posted....and with heapin' helpin's of foo foo ta' boot!

Without further ado...

TB's Grilled Dry Aged Ribeye w/ bearnaise, sweet potato skins w/ bruschetta goat cheese and sauteed swiss chard.

I prepped the ribeye with drizzle of olive oil, Lawry's, and pequin powder and then slapped it on the grill. Prior to that I
had the deep fryer goin' for the sweet potato skins and threw some fresno's and habs into the hot oil as well, all the while
prepping the bearnaise and the swiss chard. I had a russet I was going to do skins with also but reckoned it was too much food. Drunken Chef multitasking at its finest! Lets get right down to 'bidness with the
piccy's....

IMG_1934.jpg

Sweet potato skins with the bruschetta goat cheese...

IMG_1939.jpg

The ribeye plated...

IMG_1941.jpg

My drunken camera skills failed to capture this medium steak but with the bearnaise and chile's...

nothin' short of fantastic ya'll!!

IMG_1943.jpg

Looks tasty TB. JayT yeah, you're pics are hard to decipher. Bet it was good.

Paulky with the explanation. Hey man you gotta mention the heat in your recipe post or no one will know! Makes it heaps better! That's a contender!

Noshownate, upgrade that camera :P

deathtosnails with a slam dunk... I mean, there's a damn moat of heat around that island of beef! And it's sittin' on a mountain of mashers wha?????!!!!!!

DTS FTW!

thehotpepper.com said:
Paulky with the explanation. Hey man you gotta mention the heat in your recipe post or no one will know! Makes it heaps better!

I shall go back and edit. Retta wrote it while I was cleaning the kitchen.....;)

Paulky you're back to to WIN status. TB that steak is dry aged goodness cooked perfectly. Me, I think I'm too busy fixing the website to cook today.

Since we're judging by recipe and presentation I may have to go with DTS here. Birdseye red wine reduction... two filets.... garlic taters... it's you're simple meat and potatoes concept with unique twists and an awesome presentation.

DTS will be hard to beat.

thehotpepper.com said:
Paulky you're back to to WIN status. TB that steak is dry aged goodness cooked perfectly. Me, I think I'm too busy fixing the website to cook today.

Since we're judging by recipe and presentation I may have to go with DTS here. Birdseye red wine reduction... two filets.... garlic taters... it's you're simple meat and potatoes concept with unique twists and an awesome presentation.

DTS will be hard to beat.

That's a damn shame you won't be posting an entry. I have a feelin' you'd be right there at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back