• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! - Steak - January 2010 Throwdown

Vote for STEAK based on RECIPE and PRESENTATION (disregard internal temp.)

• Novacastrian - Holy 23, The Jordan Would Have Had No Problems

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • ImpyChick - She Got The Bleus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • chilehunter - chilehunter's CI Branded Ribeye

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • JayT - JayT's Holiday Steak

• Noshownate - Spicy Sirloin Fillet w/Tarragon Mustard Sauce

• paulky_2000 - Circle-H-Bistro Filet

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Deathtosnails - OMG..It's TWINS with Red Wine Jus, Creamy Mashed 'Taters and Fresh Baked Bread

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • texas blues - TB's Grilled Dry Aged Ribeye w/Bearnaise, Sweet Potato Skins, Swiss Chard

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • frydad4 - Frydad's Coal Steak Habanero Thermidor

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Pepperfreak - Garlic Steak Extravagansa

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deathtosnails said:
"OMG..It's TWINS with red wine jus, creamy mashed 'taters and fresh baked bread"

Fillet marinading in the oil.
P1040345.jpg

It's done. It's TWINS! with fresh baked bread with lashings of butter, some sea salt and parsley with a glass of Shiraz.
P1040347.jpg

STEAK YUMMINESS!!!
P1040348.jpg

DROOL...
P1040349.jpg
OMFG...

frydad's Coal Steak Habanero Thermidor

Welcome back, Frydad4. Finally got my new kitchen done. Ready for the steak throwdown.
Down here, Skirt steaks are a big cut, great for the grill and other churrasco applications. Today I decided to cook her directly on the coals. I saw this on TV, its an awesome way to make steak. Wait till you see the sauce!
Here are the ingredients. I used 25 habaneros. Seeds, AND the placenta, or vagina, or whatever its called. Bottom line, I didn't cut the good stuff out.
P1030648.jpg

The habanero thermidor sauce is a whole stick of butter, some kosher salt, and 25 sliced whole habaneros.

P1030651.jpg

Fired up some natural wood charcoal. Poured the embers out on some bricks, and placed the steak directly on the coals. Rubbed them good in olive oil and kosher salt first. Grills are for wussies. Hit it with the blow drier first to get rid of the ashes.

P1030654.jpg

P1030659.jpg

The rest coming up right now.

Frydad's coal steak with Habanero thermidor

So this is how I did my steak.

P1030662.jpg

Added some heavy cream to the sauce, to make it saucy

P1030666.jpg

And the final product...it was so good!!!! Glad to be back. I missed y'all.

P1030669.jpg

P1030678.jpg

Good luck everyone.

FD4

Hey fridad that looks friggin awsome 25 habs man thats bloody hardcore!!! lovin the was you cooked that is wicked! The sauce also looks yumeee i think on creativity you have a good chance but i reakon paulky is up there and dts as well! they gonna be hard to beat man! But looks very tasty..

frydad4 said:
Have something to hide? The sauce is everywhere. :lol:

Must admit it was an awesome idea to put the stake in between the coals but it didn't work out as planned, did it? Maybe an aluminium foil parcel next time?

Come on share, we wan't the gory details!

FD4......geez louise! That is one hot skirt! Right on the coals too just the way skirt is s'posed to be done. FD4 gets my vote for the mostest hotest, bluest, and righteousest!!

Nothing to hide, MyKey, how else can I fit 25 habs on a steak without having sauce everywhere!
The skirt steak was perfectly cooked (you can see bits of perfectly cooked steak in the sauce)! No gory details necessary. Give the "direct approach" a shot!! It's worth it!
Hope you have an entry this time... these throwdowns are tons of fun!!
fd

Well after seeing the competition, which is all fantastic by the way, I'm a little scared and embarrassed to present my Garlic Steak Extravaganza.

Pics coming soon.

frydad4 said:
Nothing to hide, MyKey, how else can I fit 25 habs on a steak without having sauce everywhere!
The skirt steak was perfectly cooked (you can see bits of perfectly cooked steak in the sauce)! No gory details necessary. Give the "direct approach" a shot!! It's worth it!
Hope you have an entry this time... these throwdowns are tons of fun!!
fd

Was joking around a bit. I was surprised by how well it looked after the coals on it. I might actually give this method a shot. Not with the 25 habs though. Can't take that much.

I've got my mind elsewhere currently. Have an exam tomorrow on EU law of external relations, in french (yes I'm one of those idiots to go and study in a language that isn't my mother tongue). Next time maybe. Don't want to let you guys miss out on mocking me :)

Teaser Pics: Garlic Steak Extravagansa...

I don't know if you can see, but that is fresh Pepper Pepper from THSC along with some Jolokia powder mixed in. They are resting comfortably at the moment.
DSCF3728.jpg

DSCF3729.jpg

pf mmmm well i am sensing maybe some sort of ratatouille thang goin on tomatoes, peppers,egg plant= I can smell a rat! haha steaks look nice as well mmmmmm

Nice one FD4! Is that sitting in a clarified butter sauce?

originally i wanted it to emulsify but that didnt work out so clarified was the way to go.

dude the rub on those NY strips looks great!

Dear Lord! There's some amazing steaks here! Everything looks so good. So far, my vote will go to the snails guy...that's my idea of a perfect meal!!! And that steak...that steak...pure poetry.

everything looks awesome!!! another amazing throwdown. Everything looks great!!

Impy, I think you sell yourself short. Your steak and bleu cheese looked great. You always show up strong!!

snails, great entry. You too, paulky and JT and nova. You all know your way around a piece of meat!

Mykey, good times buddy! Maybe next month can be french cooking! Good luck with your test tomorrow. :)

FD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back