• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

And how did it turn out?

I was in the mood for wings, but wasn't going to do anything fancy, just wanted something quick using what was in the house. Baked the wings in the oven with a dry rub of cayenne, Death Rain, pepper, and bih jolokia powder (from Muso2112). Took them out and coated with Cap'n's savina sauce. Pretty good for a quick meal.

I was a cook in some capacity at one time and I hated it(even though I was told I was good at it). It took me years to want to cook again and now I love it. I would never think of doing it for a living as that would take all the fun out of it. That is, unless they offered me 100K to do it.

thehotpepper.com said:
6 hours is nothing. Chefs I know show up at 9 am and the restaurants don't even open till 5 pm.

Yeah, but all they're doing is prep work, gossiping and drinking coffee. Prep work is so easy you can do it with your eyes closed.

I was on 5-11 pm. That's sevice time and it's literally non stop for all of those hours.

I've done morning prep and it's boring as...well you know, really really boring...

Wouldn't want to do a day that covers all the above. Boring as bat shit followed by crazy time.

TRYING TO OUTDO JAYT'S PORTERHOUSE FROM TDC THREAD

Marinated porterhouse with Smokey Jolokia and secret spices. Yeah... it's hot!

(click for larger)

Attachments

• porterhouse_4_24_10.jpg
    porterhouse_4_24_10.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 86
Mushroom and Yellow7 risotto with portobello, shitake and oyster mushrooms:

012-1.jpg

013-2.jpg

I fugured I'd get 3 or 4 meals so chopped up 3 Y7s for it, the last one I cut open had some big pools of oil so I knew I was in for some heat. True to form the Y7s lit me right up, the sweat was pouring off me and got me a little light headed by the time I'd finished. I wonder who I can burn tomorrow at lunch with this one...:hell:

Yesterday I made a Pakistani dish called "Nihari". It is hot, hot hot!! and so delicious. You can use a homemade Nihari masala (spice mixture) but most of the ones avail. in Indo-Pak grocery-stores are really good. It's cubes of skirt steak cooked in a tremendously hot sauce & served in small bowls with hot roti( flat bread). Warm pita bread is O.K., too. Lots of fresh lemon or lime juice on top....yummmm. Tonight I made Louisiana Red Beans & Rice. Used andouille sausage, cayenne, Scotch Bonnet & a whole heap of herbs & seasonings. My DH's favorite over white rice.

Just looked Nihari up on YouTube. It looks like it'd be pretty damn good! I'm going to look around and see what I can find for bones and maybe give it a go.

Cheekychili.com said:
prawn vindaloo made with dried bhut and naan!! Blew my head off - the wife couldn't even make half the plate!!!

I've been aiming to try making this for quite some time. It sounds awesome!!

Jumbo hot breakfast burrito.
1 large tortilla or a few authentic corn tortillas as they taste better but either way.
3 eggs
1/2 cup chopped cooked ham
1/2 cup cooked sausage
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup shredded cheddar
2 tablespoons of habanero mash
Salt to taste if needed

Throw all ingredients in a pan on medium heat minus the cheese. When eggs are about done toss in the cheese to melt. If using the corn tortillas, heat on skillet for a couple minutes on each side. Stuff tortilla(s) with filling and serve with hashbrowns. Can also throw the hashbrowns in the tortillas themselves for some more.......heft? Enjoy.

Here's my Chili Cheese Pie. I was going to give this a go last weekend but was too busy so I thought I'd make up for it today. Into the pie went everything but the carrot, pumpkin and potato. Also added were s/p, paprika, dried oregano and freshly ground cumin seeds. I only ended up using about a third of the tomato sauce. The pods used are Serrano, Fatali, 7Pot Jonah, Dorset Naga and a couple of Bihs. I thought I'd go with the green and gold capsicum in support of the Socceroos :) :
13610002.jpg

Into the dish:
13610003.jpg

All cheesed up:
13610004.jpg

Ready for action:
13610006.jpg

I should have let it cool a little before dishing up so it didn't go to slop but I was too excited to wait. The roast veg could have done with longer in the oven to brown up and were cooked with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and paprika:
13610007.jpg

Very tasty and quite a burn too.

Neil from THSC kindly sent me some dried pods with an order a few weeks back and I've finally gotten around to trying the Congo Yellow. I kept the flavours simple so I could get a good idea of how the Congo Yellow tastes:

3710001.jpg

All the above with some s/p and dried oregano. They've got quite a nice flavour but I'll have a 6 month wait to taste some fresh ones.

3710002.jpg

Heat level surprised me considering I only used 2 pods so these will go down well next year.

Back