• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

And how did it turn out?

I was in the mood for wings, but wasn't going to do anything fancy, just wanted something quick using what was in the house. Baked the wings in the oven with a dry rub of cayenne, Death Rain, pepper, and bih jolokia powder (from Muso2112). Took them out and coated with Cap'n's savina sauce. Pretty good for a quick meal.

I made a nice con carne on Saturday, I have been using it as a pie filling all week! A jar of jalapenos and around 15 habaneros went into it with some hot salsas I made! Pics will come but I love the spicy little snacks!! :)

Now my salsa jar is empty I have made a new one up, a Mild citreousy one, good with seafood I read :)

Pics will come when I get the Internet back!

Celeste Spinach Stew

This recipe is ever so loosely based on a vegan spinach stew recipe I used to prepare when I worked in a vegetarian health food restaurant. Mine is a bit richer, and hotter! (and no longer vegan, but you can figure out how to make it vegetarian if you want it that way).

1 large yellow onion, diced, and caramelized in bacon fat

1 10 package frozen cut spinach

2 cloves garlic

1 can Rotel diced tomatoes with lime juice and cilantro

1/4 cup I.M.Healthy Creamy Soynut Butter

a splash rice wine vinegar

wheat free tamari soy sauce, to taste

hot pepper powder (or sauce) to taste

After caramelizing the onion in a saucepan, add the frozen spinach, the tomatoes, the garlic, rice wine vinegar and tamari sauce. Stir until the spinach has thawed, add the soynut butter and the pepper powder. I used red Congo Trinidad habanero pepper powder, but any kind you like will do. Stir frequently, until the spinahc is cooked and the broth has cooked down to a thin gravy consistancy. Adjust the seasoning. May be served with toast points or over rice, as an entree, or as a side dish.

As a stew without accompaniment, this is two servings, but it could be four over rice or 6-8 as a side dish.

I'm sorry I dont have pictures. I'll try to remember to take some next time. Eating this made me really, really happy!

Thought I should share some food I've had lately. Naturally, I can't show you everything I've eaten lately...

FOOD1.jpg

These were traditional style Nachos, with some variations. I tried some of Chris's chocolate thunder on these, was a superb little lunch!

FOOD2.jpg

This is actually a chilli con carne I made for a massive pie, but I used all the leftovers for mini-pies for lunches. It comprised of various salsa's, a jar of pickled jalapenos and roughly 15 assorted red and orange habaneros. It looks wonderful! If anybody is interested in the finished mini-pies, I would be happy to share those photos.

FOOD3.jpg

In the spirit of trying something new, I bought a handful of baby octopus from the fresh grocer, read up on how to cook them. I noticed they were all pre-prepared, but I checked them anyways, found 1 brain or ink sack so I am glad I checked them. Cooked them in one of my notoriously hot curry pastes after slow cooking them on the boil for an hour. stuck them all into a pie with some citrus salsa I previously made from my mexican cookbook.

Yeah, it was fun making all of these! Especially since I am new to pies but pastry is so interesting!

thats looks very tasty :drooling: fubar nice crusts for a first timer is that an Octopi pie?

Indeed it is my friend!!

furbar - it all looks tasty!! love the fact that ya made some octopus pie, wished more people showed meals of octopus or squid.

I am rather keen on using squid, I hear it has more flavour than octopus. It really is textural in terms of food, probarbly why a lot of people have problems with seafood... It is understandable to a degree, but I love to use any sort of ingredients, I buy things from the shops because I haven't seen or tasted them before. Why filter your choices to what you know and what you like? I like all foods no matter how ugly or offputting. However I haven't crossed the line to offal yet, I believe that will come with time, we should respect the animals and use everything, it is disrespectful to have any waste because life is far too precious to throw out or waste, truly a miracle. :)

Tonight was actually a rare occasion!!! I took a few photos tonight, which is also a rare thing in the kitchen, I prefer finished results only but you guys seem to love it.
I try to host curry nights for friends, tonight I had one of my longest knowing friends come for a curry night, the others weren't able to make it. I embraced an ability, interest and love for thai food which started my cooking craziness and lead to the wonderful world of chillies. I actually make my curry pastes by hand from mortar and pestle - which I recommend, so much more fun and better result.

The aim of these curry nights is to expand your interests, increase your spice tolerance and try something new which usually is meats.

So I get everything ready to go!!

IMG06.jpg

Here's my home made curry paste, as you can see, I've had quite a bit of practice on the mortar and pestle. :P

IMG02.jpg

Here are my ingredients! You can see the baby capsicums (yes, those aren't chillies!!), curry paste, coriander (<3), stock and coconut milk, also you can see 2 plants which arrived in the mail today, alive and well (XD), looking closer you can see quakes, a wok full of onion & lemongrass. And lastly, the bits of camel rump that I used. Exotic meats are a little expensive, but they keep, you have to buy them in kilo quantities and they last forever in the freezer. I thawed my 1.5kilo cut and cut it into 5 sections, 2 used here. The plants that came are labelled as Naga's and came from QLD in the mail - I was amazed to find I could buy a Naga plant live through the mail, so I bought 2, I have repotted one, will be doing the other tomorrow :) It would be amazing to taste a fresh Bhut, make another curry in the future and label it a Bhutiful curry :) We'll see how these plants go, as long as they don't die i have some hope :)

IMG03.jpg

Nothing special here, purple onions (2) and a lemongrass stalk. /cricket noises.

IMG04.jpg

Here's a shot after the curry paste (3 tbsp) is added and the camel rump has been diced roughly and added. Looks interesting now I think.

IMG01.jpg

This, I am proud of! The mixture, once stock and coconut milk was added and reduced to a nice consistency, was devided equally between 2 slow cookers. One I added a few grams of fine bits of Trinidad Scorpion (not powder which is on the table) I arranged it in a friendly manner where the one on the right had no chilli, and the one on the right was hot, but not scorching. An array of heated additives are free for those who wish to use them included CMPman's Chocolate Thunder and 7-Pod mix :), Trinidad Scorpion powder, and a relatively hot paste I made a few days ago.

IMG05.jpg

This is the meal on the plate, granted I added quite a lot of the available products, and it was a very nice curry, very hot, but very nice. The salad was made up of quakes, baby capscums, olives, feta, jalapenos, and I'm sure there were a few others but I forget.

Now that my friends, is a real curry night :) I've had a lot of practice, and it is a great event for everybody involved!!
hope you all enjoy looking at these photos as much as me :)

After the meal I was joking around like I always did with my friend, and ate a teaspoon of rice covered in the chocolate thunder seasoning, which has all the chocolate superhots in it, yeah I burnt my tongue (in the good way) and the end of my tongue was numb for an hour. I struggled with that one but it was worth it :)

Last nights dinner was Spaghetti with Spicy Crab Sauce. 1 lb. of lump crab meat, fresh tomatoes for the sauce and plenty of Habanero powder. Penny made 4 giant Portabello Mushrooms, topped with Spinach, Asiago cheese, Deer meat sausage and Chiles.
Tasty!
Fiery REgards, Pepper Joe
:fire:

Indeed it is my friend!!

I am rather keen on using squid, I hear it has more flavour than octopus. It really is textural in terms of food, probarbly why a lot of people have problems with seafood... It is understandable to a degree, but I love to use any sort of ingredients, I buy things from the shops because I haven't seen or tasted them before. Why filter your choices to what you know and what you like? I like all foods no matter how ugly or offputting. However I haven't crossed the line to offal yet, I believe that will come with time, we should respect the animals and use everything, it is disrespectful to have any waste because life is far too precious to throw out or waste, truly a miracle. :)

Tonight was actually a rare occasion!!! I took a few photos tonight, which is also a rare thing in the kitchen, I prefer finished results only but you guys seem to love it.
I try to host curry nights for friends, tonight I had one of my longest knowing friends come for a curry night, the others weren't able to make it. I embraced an ability, interest and love for thai food which started my cooking craziness and lead to the wonderful world of chillies. I actually make my curry pastes by hand from mortar and pestle - which I recommend, so much more fun and better result.

The aim of these curry nights is to expand your interests, increase your spice tolerance and try something new which usually is meats.

So I get everything ready to go!!

IMG06.jpg

Here's my home made curry paste, as you can see, I've had quite a bit of practice on the mortar and pestle. :P

IMG02.jpg

Here are my ingredients! You can see the baby capsicums (yes, those aren't chillies!!), curry paste, coriander (<3), stock and coconut milk, also you can see 2 plants which arrived in the mail today, alive and well (XD), looking closer you can see quakes, a wok full of onion & lemongrass. And lastly, the bits of camel rump that I used. Exotic meats are a little expensive, but they keep, you have to buy them in kilo quantities and they last forever in the freezer. I thawed my 1.5kilo cut and cut it into 5 sections, 2 used here. The plants that came are labelled as Naga's and came from QLD in the mail - I was amazed to find I could buy a Naga plant live through the mail, so I bought 2, I have repotted one, will be doing the other tomorrow :) It would be amazing to taste a fresh Bhut, make another curry in the future and label it a Bhutiful curry :) We'll see how these plants go, as long as they don't die i have some hope :)

IMG03.jpg

Nothing special here, purple onions (2) and a lemongrass stalk. /cricket noises.

IMG04.jpg

Here's a shot after the curry paste (3 tbsp) is added and the camel rump has been diced roughly and added. Looks interesting now I think.

IMG01.jpg

This, I am proud of! The mixture, once stock and coconut milk was added and reduced to a nice consistency, was devided equally between 2 slow cookers. One I added a few grams of fine bits of Trinidad Scorpion (not powder which is on the table) I arranged it in a friendly manner where the one on the right had no chilli, and the one on the right was hot, but not scorching. An array of heated additives are free for those who wish to use them included CMPman's Chocolate Thunder and 7-Pod mix :), Trinidad Scorpion powder, and a relatively hot paste I made a few days ago.

IMG05.jpg

This is the meal on the plate, granted I added quite a lot of the available products, and it was a very nice curry, very hot, but very nice. The salad was made up of quakes, baby capscums, olives, feta, jalapenos, and I'm sure there were a few others but I forget.

Now that my friends, is a real curry night :) I've had a lot of practice, and it is a great event for everybody involved!!
hope you all enjoy looking at these photos as much as me :)

After the meal I was joking around like I always did with my friend, and ate a teaspoon of rice covered in the chocolate thunder seasoning, which has all the chocolate superhots in it, yeah I burnt my tongue (in the good way) and the end of my tongue was numb for an hour. I struggled with that one but it was worth it :)

Wow, what fabulous looking dishes.
I tried to post some pics too...where do you get an URL from for your pics?

Thats really quiet good!! I've been interested in Thai cooking as well I am very much an amateur in making currys - my one goal this year is to try and make a Vindaloo. I like different aspects of food kind of a ying/yang soft/crunchy sweet/sour hot/hotter you get the idea - Keep it up!

Wow, what fabulous looking dishes.
I tried to post some pics too...where do you get an URL from for your pics?

Well I have several websites, so I just upload to them and hotlink via bbcode.
Your best bet is to upload them to a image hosting website, while you have an account and can manage it all, http://www.imageshack.us or http://www.flickr.com/ are great services used by millions. Right click the images you want to share to open the context menu, click properties - or to make it easier click "copy image location" or "view image info" if applicable. You will find the URL in the properties. Great to see you like the look of the curry night, it has some meaning to me, where I can cut loose and in the future my girlfriend won't ever attempt to interfere with the cooking stage, and try new things and even hotter than previous spices.

Thats really quiet good!! I've been interested in Thai cooking as well I am very much an amateur in making currys - my one goal this year is to try and make a Vindaloo. I like different aspects of food kind of a ying/yang soft/crunchy sweet/sour hot/hotter you get the idea - Keep it up!

All I can say about thai, other than it being awesome and don't over-do it (people lose a lot of interest with a regular thai diet). All it takes is a kick start.
Its all about thinking about cooking techniques and methods. One dish I make but haven't in a while is a salmon steak cooked in some way, fried, baked or boiled. Put your choice of hot pepper on (not hot sauce) and put some asian style vegies under, like bok choy, noodles, bamboo ect. And I usually make a cream sauce to go on it but thai style you could buy some cocnut milk and reduce it by at least 1/2.
It's a matter of trial and error, so get started!! Nerves are what kept me away from food.
As for a Vindaloo, a fine indian curry, and a nice twist would be to include chopped or diced peppers of your choice (for authentic use cayenne and bhut jolokia) in the mix with all the marinated pork shoulder (diced) and the vinegar and tomatoes and garlic, it trule is a wonderful dish! Here is one I did last year....

IMG01.jpg

Authentic Indian Curry made with slow cooked shoulder pork on 04/11/10
Lots of Bhut powder went into mine, tried to challenge my heat tolerance with powders... I fail every time. I would love to add some fresh jolokia's into the mix while slow cooking.... /drools.

I will post the recipe from my indian book very soon!!

pepperjoe- Josh put together a really great post on posting pics-
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/14109-posting-pictures/page__b__1#entry

I've also learned that "smilies" count as images towards your total image count in a post. Sometimes I have to delete the smilies to get all the pictures in.

And that camel rump curry looks WONDERFUL. I'm starving at the moment, so even the bowl looks good. :lol: thanks for sharing

fubar - tasty looking currys ya made there, the camel curry looks great!lemongrass has a great flavor.
wheres Canberra ?

I am glad everybody seems to like them, I do kinda brag about how awesome they are, with experience, interest and all of that, I would hate for somebody to hate them - I would be gutted.
Canberra is about 300km south of Sydney, NSW Australia.

No pics, but did steak tonight, seasoned with smoked sea salt, garlic powder, coriander, and douglah powder. Mmmmmmmmmm....... sorry you weren't here to share!

Back