• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Wild Varieties-What is your favorite

Has anyone grown the various Chiltepins from different origins in parallel? I just got ones labeled Tarahumara, Fort Prescott, and Pima Bajo from Cross Country.

I am guessing that these are not propagated from wild seed, but from inbred selections which originated from wild seed. Is that true? Is there an appropriate way to label multi-generation selections derived from wilds as different from (presumably highly heterozygous) seed collected in the "wild"? I am guess that all of the "wilds" derived from seed bank accessions have the same idiosyncracies.

So are you asking if just because the seeds weren't collected directly from a plant in the wild are they still considered wild?

Has anyone grown the various Chiltepins from different origins in parallel? I just got ones labeled Tarahumara, Fort Prescott, and Pima Bajo from Cross Country.

I am guessing that these are not propagated from wild seed, but from inbred selections which originated from wild seed. Is that true? Is there an appropriate way to label multi-generation selections derived from wilds as different from (presumably highly heterozygous) seed collected in the "wild"? I am guess that all of the "wilds" derived from seed bank accessions have the same idiosyncracies.

Those are wild varieties, but probably the seeds came from a plant propagated by a grower. The Chiltepins that grow here in Tucson are usually "wild" in the sense that birds have a tendency to spread the seeds in various neighborhoods here. Most of the people I've met who have a Chiltepin bush in their yard tell me how it just appeared on its own. However, there are also a few people here in Tucson who grow Chiltepins from seed, whether collected from the plant in their yard, or seeds purchased from a seed source. I have grown Chiltepins from seeds I removed from a Native Seed Search jar of Chiltepins. Native Seed Search gets their Chiltepin seeds and plants from a particular ranch down in Mexico. Keep in mind that according to many sources, the Chiltepin has yet to be tamed.

I don't know what you mean by "inbred." I highly doubt that the varieties you listed were "developed" or "bred" by someone. It's more likely that the different varieties occur due to mutations or genetic adaptations to various environments (natural selection).

Oops, I guess my question was clearer in my head than it came out in writing. It is possible that the question makes no sense because the answer is that there is no standard method of labeling selections propagated from wild peppers.

The plants I purchased are probably generations removed from the wild - although it is possible that they are actually sourcing wild seed through somebody like Native Search. But if they are seed-saving, it is difficult to imagine how they could have maintained the genetic diversity which the first generation wild seed probably had. I wasn't trying to make any political point, by the way. Whether they are "wild" or "selected from wild", they will be "selected from wild and selfed" by the time I collect seed from mine and try to put a label on it.

So my question was really whether there is a more elegant way to summarize the history of a particular selection.

And the other question was how much variability to expect from different Chiltepins.

BTW, I hope I am not off topic. It seemed simpler and more in tune with "favorite wilds" when I initially blurted it out.

I've only had few wilds,but,out of the ones I've had,Bradley's Bahamian was definitely my favorite. Great flavor to heat ratio. For me the flavor was slightly green apple like. Just my opinion though

Well thats One hell of a way to start your day right... Keep us posted if you do decide to grow em in the green house...

Thats cool I have a plan for my wilds. I just bought a couple Madagascar hissing cockroaches (best pets ever) they were on sale for 99 cents and I'm going to use an old lizard cage and stand it up right and make a miniature rainforest for fun. I might put a chamaleon in there too.

Checked on my plants that i have planted at the job and here is what i found....

bc8f5d8b-fabf-4c85-b1c9-1cd4406e5f44_zps00d4cc74.jpg

fb1dfe9b-50a6-4e1e-b0bc-952e64168556_zps625012e4.jpg

What was the growing habit like? Was it bushy or did it grow tall and Wide... Ive got another at home that is looking like its going to be really bushy...

It grew very fast from the start. I topped it at about 6 in. A big, strong stemmed, sprawling beast that was 8 and a half ft across after 1 year. This picture is late Nov, early Dec.Still filling up bowls with peppers then .In fact, I just made powder out of those. Strong plant.
douglahpods 0141.jpg

Pr0digal_son said:
PP,what was the taste like? Could almost pass for a chinense. The one above looks frutescen.
Med thin skinned. Abiut as juciy as most Tabasco types. A good pop of heat, moderate almost black pepper flavor, heat gone in about 2 min. Just what you would think. I will try the powder I made today and edit this later.

Pr0digal_son said:
Description sounds like a frut to me,the plant doesn't show it though. Portuge's plant looks like frut.
Yea I know. Got the seeds from a vendor, said it was a Frut. ????
Who knows? Nice plant though. I was going to send Smokemaster some seeds, but was not 100% certain about it so I did not. It happens.

Still going thru records. I think it is Calusa Indian Mound.
Sorry for the confusion. Unlabeled pic. Me dumb.
The taste review is right though I had a few of the right ones. It was a little taller and more upright, but still a strong stemmed plant..It is pretty hot for a little red guy. lol

Yes the ones i have are C. Frutescens, seeds were bought from Pepperlover... This is my first time growing this particular variety so this plant should be interesting to watch...

Back