• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2014

Got some sheet pots in from Grower Supply a couple days ago. I got this type so I could pull out the individual containers and replace them if need be, and they fit perfectly in my 11" x 22" Permanest Trays. Anybody in NW Louisiana need a couple of these? If I keep growing the same size garden every season these sheets should last me around 12 years:

unboxing1.jpg

These are the only C. chinense I'm growing this year: The NagaBrain, now in its F3 generation, is the happy accident of Florida THP mentor and all-around good guy romy6; seeds for the F2 Chocolate NagaBrain are from the talented and skillful Florida grower Tmudder; Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow, the F3 generation, is the creation of the THP breeding wizard Spicegeist; Both 7 Pot Yellow and Naga Morich are from THSC seed; Dystopia is a project of North Texas grower joemomma; and Madame Jeanette comes courtesy of the incredibly generous Netherlands grower Meatfreak :

tray%201.jpg

Devv said:
Very nice pods Gary!

Here's a pic from last week of the NB in the raised bed. A little weather beaten but hanging on to those 2 pods.

891.JPG

Wow, Scott...Really, really brutal-looking pods! Thanks!

BlisterdOutPods671 said:
Those are some gnarly looking NagaBrain pods!

Thanks BOP! And thanks for stopping by!  :dance:

chile_freak said:

Thanks Paul!

I finally got a Saturday off...I can't remember the last one...So I'm hanging around the house with a steaming hot mug of black coffee and snapping a few chile shots this morning—

I finally potted up Charles' (Spicegeist) F2 CAP 501 x Bhut Jolokia a couple days ago. This plant is insane...A little like Chile de Arbol, a little like poke weed...I've never seen anything quite like it. The lawn chair is for scale:

501X2.jpg

Chile Manzano, a plant shipped to me live last summer from my FB friend CarlosO. This plant had plenty of blossoms on it a couple weeks ago. I haven't noticed any fruit yet:

manzano1.jpg

My F3 NagaBrain population, all 12 plants. There are also a couple container plants not shown here. Note how the birds have been excavating my beds this year:

nagabrain5.jpg

NagaBrain Plant No. 3 was the first one to set a pod:

nagabrain6.jpg

Cabe Gendot, C. pubescens, Indonesia. Seeds from THP member Indochilli, in Jakarta:

cabegendot4.jpg

An old DeSoto Parish dude brought this plant by the office one day last summer...He says it's sage:

sage1.jpg

I checked out that Cabe Gendot thread man that's really cool, I love how juicy And aromatic the pubes I've grown so far are, how does this compare to the manzanos or rocotos? Actually, I had a friend send me a pkg of yellow rocotos about 4 weeks ago they're fermenting nicely, I've wanted to do a pube sauce for 3 yes now, just never had enough at one time! Looking great on that cabe and that 501 cross, what a beast, I love it!
Oh and PS nagabrain pod is sweet!

chile_freak said:
I checked out that Cabe Gendot thread man that's really cool, I love how juicy And aromatic the pubes I've grown so far are, how does this compare to the manzanos or rocotos? Actually, I had a friend send me a pkg of yellow rocotos about 4 weeks ago they're fermenting nicely, I've wanted to do a pube sauce for 3 yes now, just never had enough at one time! Looking great on that cabe and that 501 cross, what a beast, I love it!
Oh and PS nagabrain pod is sweet!

Thanks Paul! They're not as large as the large yellow Mazano, which is the only other pubescens I've had, but I believe they will get large in more ideal growing conditions. Yes, they are quite juicy, and have that wonderful pubescens savory character....I didn't take a photo of them, but there are some much larger Gendot pods on those plants, they're just really hard to get to with the camera...

capsidadburn said:
Just plain awesome Gary! Happy Saturday!

I working today and have to drive to Ft. worth and back tomorrow! Quick weekend for me! Will post some pics later today.

Very pretty flowers on the suggested Sage! Let us know if you can confirm what it is.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

bpwilly said:
Saw your pictures of the sage plant and looked in Google and found a sage variety that looks pretty close.  Look for "Clary Sage"  pretty close match based on flower color and leave shape.

Cool, thanks BP!

Devv said:
Very nice Gary!

Those NG's are going to keep you warm this winter!

The Cabe Gendot is very interesting, I need to google that ;)

Thanks Scott! I don't believe Google will give you much info on the Gendot, as you have probably already found...Have you seen this thread on THP?

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/46560-cabe-gendot-a-cpubescens-from-indonesia/

Devv said:
Hadn't seen it before today, interesting place and pepper.

You're doing a good job with it.

Thanks Scott! I've had a couple turn red already, but as soon as they do the birds beat me to the punch…even the seeds are gone!

Spicegeist said:
Nice pics, things are looking good.  Naga Brain pod looks fantastic!

I think the CAP 501 x Bhut will appreciate the bigger pot...

Thanks Charles! He seems to be enjoying the extra foot room already... :P

BlisterdOutPods671 said:
Wow. Really liking the NagaBrains!!! Keep up the good work!

Thanks BOP! Will do!

Charles' (Spicegeist) Bonda Man Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow (F3) are setting some nice pods now. There are 7 plants total in my population: 6 in the ground in the DeSoto Parish garden and one in a container in the 'burbs…Plants #5 & #6 are suffering from my last year's overzealous application of Osmocote pellets, but they aren't quite finished yet…Plants #1 - #4, however, are standing strong in the brutally hostile conditions of the DeSoto Parish inferno. I especially love the pod phenotype of one of these plants, but I'll wait for y'all to weigh in, too, before I reveal my current pick—

Plant #1:

BondaXPlant%231_2.jpg

Plant #2:

bondaXplant%232_1.jpg

Plant #3:

bondaXplant%233_1.jpg

Plant #4:

bondaXplant%234_1.jpg

romy6 said:
Awesome brethren G !

Thanks Brotha J!

capsidadburn said:
Great looking plants and pod variation on the BMJ x Y7 Gary!  You're right that it needs to be grown out.

Later Mike

Thanks Mike! I'm anxious to try one….

Devv said:
But they are quite gnarly though!

Thanks Scott! As nearly as I can tell, they are all growing true to the cross, which makes my job much easier…I need only pick the one I like the best as the progenitor for next year's F4 grow... :P

Spicegeist said:
So nice... :onfire:

Thanks Charles! And thanks so much for trusting me to grow this one out…I think it's going to be a favorite of mine  :dance:

I got a better shot of Bonda–X Plant #1 this morning:

BondaXPlant%231_2.jpg

The pods on Tmudder's Choco NagaBrain Plant #5 are beginning to color up:

ChocoNagaPlant%235_1.jpg

And surprise, surprise, this appears to be either a volunteer or a sprout from the old trunk of last year's Congo Trinidad Plant #1 (PIC 1). What a solid little dude!

CongoVolunteer1.jpg

Back