• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

2009 Grow Log

Hotpeppa said:
all my plants look stunted, with yellowing new growth and eventually leaf drop off from the stem...

i have done everything possible to correct this...

and i am still seeing shitty results...

i think i am going to start over and swap the coco coir for some good regular soil and see the differance...

first time gardening blues for me..... but i will try again and keep on trying until i get healthy happy plants..

dont give up dude.. keep em, maybe they will bounce back once outside...thats what i am praying for..lol

Yeah, I'm not gonna blame the coco because I had the exact same thing happen to my soil plants that year too.

Crud. Sorry to hear this Txcg, wish there was something I could do. You say you're using the same neam/nutes from '07 and had the same problem? What did you use in '08? I hope some sun can make a difference.

patrick said:
Crud. Sorry to hear this Txcg, wish there was something I could do. You say you're using the same neam/nutes from '07 and had the same problem? What did you use in '08? I hope some sun can make a difference.

I used soil in '08 and bought plants from the nursery. '07 and '09 i started my own seeds :(

Hotpeppa said:
its a work in progress i am coming to realise.... really frustrating at times, but a good frustration...lol

Haha yeah, i'm damn sure not giving up either, I just dropped over 200 bucks on a light. There will be some shit growing in my house this year whether the plants like it or not!

Just hope I don't have to start from scratch

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to throw everything out :( it definitely is getting worse daily. And lots of leaves are just falling off and all the others are covered with those markings and every single baby lead on every single plant is horribly disfigured.....well there goes 2 months worth of work.

I'm pretty sure this is some sort of disease almost positive it's not causes by bugs. After I pitch everything I'm going to sanitize everything I can think of in my bathtub with bleach. I wish I knew what it was though it doesn't look like any of the diseases I can find online. But goddamnit why can't I grow peppers from seed? 2007 was last time I tried and had exact same disease hit.....kinda regretting wasting all that money on that light at this point

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to throw everything out :( it definitely is getting worse daily. And lots of leaves are just falling off and all the others are covered with those markings and every single baby lead on every single plant is horribly disfigured.....well there goes 2 months worth of work.

I'm pretty sure this is some sort of disease almost positive it's not causes by bugs. After I pitch everything I'm going to sanitize everything I can think of in my bathtub with bleach. I wish I knew what it was though it doesn't look like any of the diseases I can find online. But goddamnit why can't I grow peppers from seed? 2007 was last time I tried and had exact same disease hit.....kinda regretting wasting all that money on that light at this point

TX,

Before you ditch every plant, take a couple to a University extension service (or something similar) where they can analyze it. They usually have a horticultural expert or two.

Since this is a recurring problem, I would also try to contact the NMSU Pepper Institute. Send them images and even - if you get lucky - a plant or two.

Good luck, guy. This crap of not knowing what is wrong is what's frustrating.

Mike

Txclosetgrower said:
kinda regretting wasting all that money on that light at this point

Well how about I send you a SASP and you send it my way.
Seriously though, sorry about the plants.

Hey TCG sorry to hear about the plants. Hope you can figure that out soon. It looks like a virus to me but if not I would say the big jump in light power. Is your ballast a switchable ballast?

That doesn't look like leaf miner damage to me. I get that in other plants around here, so I know what it looks like, and Texasclosetgrower's problem just doesn't look like that to me.

k...I was just zeroing in on the trace pattern the problem is leaving...

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Hey TCG sorry to hear about the plants. Hope you can figure that out soon. It looks like a virus to me but if not I would say the big jump in light power. Is your ballast a switchable ballast?

Nope not switchable. And I don't think the light change is to blame since I saw exact same symptoms in 07. Doesn't look like light burn anyway.

TX

This sounds a lot like southern blight. The "crystal balls" that soon turn "brown" on the under side of the leaves...sclerotia I think the scientists call it. seed like structures that turn brown or black and allow the disease to immediately wilt and destroy the plant.

Search up on that. Might be the right direction for you; at least its easy to get rid of.

Nitrogen deficient leaves don't normally fall off. While the lower leaves turn chlorotic (yellow) the upper leaves often appear lighter green and smaller than normal. Lower leaves that are yellowing and sometimes wilting that are followed by falling off in numbers is usually due to over watering.
Leaves that are yellowing and falling off about 2 sets of leaves from the bottom (but not all at once) could just be the natural occurrence of old leaf drop as the plant grows :)

just a little info i just dug up from the net... may be the reason i am going through it...hope it helps

Hotpeppa said:
Nitrogen deficient leaves don't normally fall off. While the lower leaves turn chlorotic (yellow) the upper leaves often appear lighter green and smaller than normal. Lower leaves that are yellowing and sometimes wilting that are followed by falling off in numbers is usually due to over watering.
Leaves that are yellowing and falling off about 2 sets of leaves from the bottom (but not all at once) could just be the natural occurrence of old leaf drop as the plant grows :)

just a little info i just dug up from the net... may be the reason i am going through it...hope it helps

Don't think it is a deficiency of anykind.

Back