• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2016 - JoeFish Arkansas Grown

I have wanted a garden for awhile now. So Sept. 2013 I picked out a spot and started working on my spot.  All the rest is history.

My grow list... Since I was skeptical about starting seeds I ordered plants.  Hopefully I will start everything myself next year.

A Picture of my Garden spot.  It is about 21' x 27'
1zv9186.jpg

And my soil test....
http://postimg.org/image/n09oi22fn/

Bhut Assam

Rabbit damaged Jalapeno

Trinidad Scorpion

Fatalli Yellow

7 Pot Bubblegum
[url=http://postimg.org/image/40bred52z/full/]

A rabbit trap that has yet to catch one...

Pepper and Tomato beds

Non Pepper garden Beans, Peas, Melons, Lettuce, Herbs, etc...

Volunteer Pumpkin 1 in my compst barrel

Volunteer Pumpkin 2 in my compost barrel

A bump and I will add my rabbit ravaged tomatoes....  I will lose my mind over this rabbit thing.

I fenced my garden AND added 4"s of sacrete below soil level to keep the waskily wabbits out. They ate the sh!t out of my grow a few years ago. I first tried an electric fence, it worked, but killed rabbit's, squirrel's, and birds. So I abandoned it over the rabbit fence and concrete.

So what in the world is eating my plants!!!!!! 

I put some burlap around the bottom of my cages to try and keep the bunnies out and this is what I found this afternoon.  Will they recover?

Im thinking hornworm now......  Im seriously going crazy.

Just ordered some Dipel because im freaking out.  The little bit of reading I did led me to believe is natural and it works so, here we go.

MeatHead1313 said:
Plants are looking great Joe! Can't help with what's eating your plants though. Would the hornworm's eat the stems as well as the leaves?
I wish I knew. I covered 4 or my cages with burlap 3 ft up and they still got munched on so I think I ruled out rabbits.

Wow that sucks. I think with hornworms you would see them by now.  They also leave large (for a worm) black droppings right under the leaves they have destroyed and I didn't see anything like that in your pictures, although I obviously could have missed it. I bet your almost to the point of having a stakeout all night with a pellet gun in your lap.  I'd cheer you on if you did. It's very frustrating to have critters eat up your hard work.  Good luck exterminating.

Yeah I have sat a little trying to find something but I shortly figured out that my enemy is birds. I hung some CDs and gave them something to eat besides my plants so... Pictures tomorrow to show the recovering plants. Thanks for the replies fellas.

+1 on 228

I've never seen the birds do more than peck at the ripe tomatoes.  Grasshoppers chew on our plants around here and I see an occasional hornworm.

Hope you solve the mystery!

I guess you have Bermuda trying to come back?

I'm afraid of herbicides near my plants, bad juju :D

Where my present garden is used to be Coastal Bermuda. It's hard to get rid of but after years of attacking the Coastal we have next to none. When you see it pull it, and keep pulling it.

The way you're setup this season I would use a string trimmer to keep it from encroaching from the sides, and just pull it where the plants are and keep the mulch working.

Man sorry to hear about the critters, hopefully you find out what it is and kill the bastards! They will recover but the real challenge is finding the culprit and getting rid of them. Have you checked on them in at night? I dont think its birds either.

Good luck buddy!

beerbreath81 said:
Man sorry to hear about the critters, hopefully you find out what it is and kill the bastards! They will recover but the real challenge is finding the culprit and getting rid of them. Have you checked on them in at night? I dont think its birds either.

Good luck buddy!

I think I have stopped them.  Since I put up some cds and sprayed Dipel for cutworms I haven't noticed more damage at all.  Whatever it was seems to be gone and all my plants seem to be doing good now!!!  YAY

JoeFish said:

I think I have stopped them.  Since I put up some cds and sprayed Dipel for cutworms I haven't noticed more damage at all.  Whatever it was seems to be gone and all my plants seem to be doing good now!!!  YAY

Looks like cutworm to me. I had a nasty batch of them in my garden this year.... bastards completely lumberjacked two of my peppers. Good choice with the Dipel, that should be the end of your problems this season.

Yeah it has all stopped and recovering nicely. I had to search for the Dipel and I am surprised it worked so well and is all natural too.

Joe, don't know about you but these 40 degree nights and 50 degree sunless days have got my peppers and tomatos in sleep mode down here in central Arkansas.

Back