• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors a fishing thread

I recognize a number of these fish... dolphin, skipjack, sheepshead ect,

A few I might need an id on. like that first pick, cobia or amberjack...? not sure if I'm in the ball park. I could be way off here. And is that yellow bottom fin one a permit? doesn't look like the permit pics I've seen.  
Edit:  I decided to read the print on the certificate and it seems to indicate a type of bonito. hehe. It seems I need to read more carefully.

That being said, that bonito looks different than the ones we get around here. probably why I didn't recognize it. ours have the swirly lines all over their sides, not the stripes. Maybe they are the same at different life stages not sure, but the pictures seem to suggest a different species. correct me if I am wrong.

I fish mostly closer to shore so some of the bigger fish like swordfish ect are out of my range probably.

keybrdkid said:
I recognize a number of these fish... dolphin, skipjack, sheepshead ect,

A few I might need an id on. like that first pick, cobia or amberjack...? not sure if I'm in the ball park. I could be way off here. And is that yellow bottom fin one a permit? doesn't look like the permit pics I've seen.  
Edit:  I decided to read the print on the certificate and it seems to indicate a type of bonito. hehe. It seems I need to read more carefully.

That being said, that bonito looks different than the ones we get around here. probably why I didn't recognize it. ours have the swirly lines all over their sides, not the stripes. Maybe they are the same at different life stages not sure, but the pictures seem to suggest a different species. correct me if I am wrong.

I fish mostly closer to shore so some of the bigger fish like swordfish ect are out of my range probably.
Yup the first one is an amberjack. The other one with the yellow fins is a jack crevelle. You should have Jacks near shore no matter where your at in florida.

The state record is an Atlantic Bonito, but it is not what your thinking of. The fish commonly called a "bonito" or "bonita" in florida has been called the wrong thing for years. It is actually suppose to be called a Little Tunny. That would be this one.

Anyways the Atlantic Bonito is normally found further north in colder waters.

So funny story about this state record. We had an unusually long cold front that year when I lived in florida. The true Atlantic Bonito is not a very common catch in florida. When I caught it I had no idea what it was. I caught it off a 10ft John boat a mile off shore. I gutted it, bled it, and put it on ice. I took it home and debated eating it, but since I had no idea what it was i decided to post some pics online. It sat on ice for a day before it was identified by a guy in new jersey. Sooo glad I didn't eat it.

So I looked into it and found that IGFA still had no record of one being caught in florida (although someone probably had before). The rest is history and still today knock on wood it's been the record for 6 years.

But remember that fish was gutted, bled, and sitting on ice for a day. It weighed 6 lbs 8 ounces after all of that. To think how many pounds I lost after all that. My guess 2-3 maybe. It's a bummer because when people come over and see the fish then look at the record and say no way it only weighs that much. But it makes for a great story. :)

Great story 2NA, thanks for sharing that. Whats a false albacore? I've heard the term on fishing shows, and they look to be in the bonito family to me, but really I have no idea.

Yellowfin2na said:
Yup the first one is an amberjack. The other one with the yellow fins is a jack crevelle. You should have Jacks near shore no matter where your at in florida.

The state record is an Atlantic Bonito, but it is not what your thinking of. The fish commonly called a "bonito" or "bonita" in florida has been called the wrong thing for years. It is actually suppose to be called a Little Tunny. That would be this one.

So funny story about this state record. We had an unusually long cold front that year when I lived in florida. The true Atlantic Bonito is not a very common catch in florida. When I caught it I had no idea what it was. I caught it off a 10ft John boat a mile off shore. I gutted it, bled it, and put it on ice. I took it home and debated eating it, but since I had no idea what it was i decided to post some pics online. It sat on ice for a day before it was identified by a guy in new jersey. Sooo glad I didn't eat it.

So I looked into it and found that IGFA still had no record of one being caught in florida (although someone probably had before). The rest is history and still today knock on wood it's been the record for 6 years.

But remember that fish was gutted, bled, and sitting on ice for a day. It weighed 6 lbs 8 ounces after all of that. To think how many pounds I lost after all that. My guess 2-3 maybe. It's a bummer because when people come over and see the fish then look at the record and say no way it only weighs that much. But it makes for a great story. :)

False albacore would be another name given to the fish pictured above (Little Tunny) by folks that fish in the northeast. So you got the guys from the south calling them "bonita" and then people from the north calling them "false albacore". Poor fish can't catch a break.

They are not very good to eat. They make for great shark bait because they are so bloody. But they are a strong fighter and fun to catch.

Yellowfin2na said:
False albacore would be another name given to the fish pictured above (Little Tunny) by folks that fish in the northeast. So you got the guys from the south calling them "bonita" and then people from the north calling them "false albacore". Poor fish can't catch a break.

They are not very good to eat. They make for great shark bait because they are so bloody. But they are a strong fighter and fun to catch.
I'd love to have a bunch of those.  Be down in July for some shark fishing.  Sometimes the tackle shop has them, but usually small about 2 pounds.  About 5 years ago they were selling some that were probably 6 - 8 pounds+ for $5 but ever since its just the little ones.  Bloody is an understatement, looks more like beef than fish.   Great catches by the way, wish I lived there so I could fish more often.  I go on a charter usually every year, had a nice amberjack on a few years ago, and lost it about 15 feet from the surface.  Maybe this year.

Yellowfin2na said:

Ah... a Little Tunny. Yep that's the fish we see sometimes. And yes we have plenty of jacks, but most of the ones I've seen are the standard variety. The Crevalle may be not one I've see yet. Mostly when I see the yellow on the bottom I think permit since that is what I've seen here before.

I caught a mackerel with spots once that one person may or may not have thought was the biggest Spanish mackerel he'd seen-but was then told later by another that it might not have been a Spanish Mackerel at all. They showed me a fish chart and pointed out a possibility. Not sure if they meant Cero or not.  my pics still on the wall for it though to my knowledge..haha.

Yeah, Atlantic Bonito might be a new one for me around here. But on my last fishing trip I caught a number of bottom fish that I hadn't previously caught, so I'm sure there's a lot of things down there I haven't seen yet. Usually when I see the vertical stripes I think wahoo. But the pic wasn't lining up in my mind...

I was also told that fish are migratory here, so maybe that's how you snagged your Bonito..?

Man I passed on fishing this past Memorial Day. Reading this thread now, I wish I would have gone. I go bass fishing with my father in law sometimes. We used to go a lot before I had kids. I also used to fish for crappie a lot. They taste so good. My folks have a place at the Lake of the Ozarks. Most of my fishing has been done down there.

Ozzy2001 said:
Man I passed on fishing this past Memorial Day. Reading this thread now, I wish I would have gone. I go bass fishing with my father in law sometimes. We used to go a lot before I had kids. I also used to fish for crappie a lot. They taste so good. My folks have a place at the Lake of the Ozarks. Most of my fishing has been done down there.

I used to spend a few summer vacations in the Branson area as a child. I haven't been back that recently though, maybe once in high school.  That's where I first saw a carp. haha.

I didn't fish over memorial day, but I went fishing this week. saw a Hammerhead / Bonnethead shark sneaking around my baits. Didn't bite though. about the size of the one around 2:00 minutes in this video plus or minus.. not my video though.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIsMBVLTLhY

yes I know.. no pics didn't happen. oops I didn't have my phone out at the time.

Yeah it's funny seeing the abundance of carp on the boat ramp walkways going to restaurants. They swarm for those feed pellets.

I'm thinking about selling my plastic Home pour molds etc. 
2 Gal. of liquid plastic,Lots of molds,color liquid,Glitter and powders that make a plastic look 1 color or several shades in different light (translucent).
Some stuff I have I got in quantity-a life time supply.

My hands won't allow me to pour anymore.

I also have a LEAD pot that is set specifically for plastic temps.
You just heat up the plastic and pour.Pull the lever...
Great for 1 color pours (with flake and pearlescent-like smoke and watermellon type stuff)but I seldom pour 1 color baits anymore...FOR Ca. bass AND trout fishing.

Not going to sell it for $10.00-super cheap/give it away.
But will sell if the offer is cool.

If there is an interest I'll cataloge what I have.
A LOT of molds etc.
Worms to swim baits...some home made molds too.
Like I said,won't give it away.
Not wanting the price I paid but on fishing sites I get offered crap for my stuff.

Also,maybe my Tremors from Cancer/Chemo will go away...and I'll be able to pour again.

I loved pouring my own stuff.
Loved having the "go to" bait on a good day and handing out a few baits to people that got skunked.
I know they caught fish when they used them next time-in the pattern that the lake was in that time of year...
Different stuff worked on different lakes.
That is why I carried my tackle shop on my boat.(people called my day pack and tackle box on my boat "the tackle shop").

I just need $ right now,BUT will only sell to the right person.

Not going to ask big $,but I would like to keep the stuff,Reality is I probably won't have hand control to pour,I can't even write on most days...Typing this took a lot of spelling edits...

Would like to give my stuff a good home.
An addict to fishing as much as I am.

But a couple $ doesn't pay my Med. bills.
Just looking for a happy medium.
I'll post links to who I got the molds from etc.
You decide what they are worth to you,and what we bargain for as a selling price.

Gotta sell it to pay off bills.

Gotta be realistic- As I said I'll post molds etc.,inventory (as I can type) if real interest is shown...

I poured plastics for Trout,Bass and saltwater (surf fishing and used offshore).

I fished a lot this week, but not many fish on the dock for me.

Two different piers and changing bait conditions/ number of fisherman influenced things.

Got a bite of what I think was a decent-sized barracuda (or a snook?) , and a few garbage fish-plus caught a few live sardines on a sabiki. Other than that, not much to go on. The Snook were starting to spook the sardines later in the week, so they weren't biting like they were on Monday/Tuesday. Tried to catch a runner, but didn't get one. No crabs with me either to fish with.

would be interested to hear if anyone has ever caught a tarpon in the ocean. If so, how you did it. I saw a guy hook one out of the corner of my eye the other day, it jumped twice-but he didn't get it near enough to the pier for a closer look.

The reason I ask is there are a number of sizeable tarpon sometimes swimming around one pier I occasionally visit. But I've never hooked into one of the silver kings.  

atkinbeer-1_zpsncqvervi.jpg

7c6b1289cf44c7dd4cf5d5fc5878b089-1_zpscldrc0zi.jpg

10344810_854988511181225_2157474037383330638_n_zps6176e51e.jpg

Got a new 7ft. Ugly Stik boat rod for my birthday. But it didn't produce any halibut last weekend. All we got was heavy wind and rock crabs in our pots (junk when you want dungies). It was just too windy to get past the bar, had to stay in the bay.

I did catch a couple of really big (3-4lbs) Rubberlip Perch up in Mendocino a couple of weeks ago while camping. Nice clean flavor but a little mushy for my liking. I like my fish a lil firmer.

Back