• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors a fishing thread

Crab Bait

kLl8NH6l.jpg

Nice catch!

If I'm not shore-casting, I'm in rowboat style boat with an outboard or trolling motor.  I'm an awful kayaker.  I fell in the water two out of the last three times I was in one and think I'm done for good.  I had a hard enough time keeping my balance without fishing and think the odds would be good that I'd "hit the drink," if I were fighting a fish.
Boarider said:
Finally a topic I know a little about, fishing.
New to peppers but not fishing. I live in South Louisiana where we have plenty of marsh, so Kayak fishing is my drug of choice.
Mostly sight casting in skinny water we call it, for Redfish.
7af3c5e501c2ca36f47be568b56ec1c7.jpg
c3c7081341217d0b6d1ec9063121bd9d.jpg
88b9806eb56087985f59efa0d11fda69.jpg
34631af7eeb61e911113016befc0fd6a.jpg
282c6acf324edc3294268bc8474e2270.jpg
50215143216d2b0faa290fcd26be83dc.jpg
62111c9edfc95961e7edb901bbd3e897.jpg
bc44be5036cec4b9f79bf67a07fa609b.jpg
10231b82071dda25811efc50e86dbc9f.jpg

If you are ever In South Louisiana, I got your back and will put you on mega fish.
I love what I do with a few pro staff spots (not that it matters). But I'd rather see a new guy catch a fish than I.
Open to anyone passing thru.
dragon49 said:
Nice catch!

If I'm not shore-casting, I'm in rowboat style boat with an outboard or trolling motor.  I'm an awful kayaker.  I fell in the water two out of the last three times I was in one and think I'm done for good.  I had a hard enough time keeping my balance without fishing and think the odds would be good that I'd "hit the drink," if I were fighting a fish.

dragon49 said:
Nice catch!

some kayaks are more / less stable than others. the hobies are amazing, and they have foot pedals 

Agreeded, I started with a Ride and then a Nucanoe (great kayak). But then wanted a peddle drive. Got an Outback and to this day I think is the best all around size. But now I have the Pro Angler 14, heavy but as stable as a party barge. I'm 6-1 and 230# and have no problem standing and sight cast for fish. Once you go peddle you'll never go back.
BigB said:

some kayaks are more / less stable than others. the hobies are amazing, and they have foot pedals 

Boarider said:
Agreeded, I started with a Ride and then a Nucanoe (great kayak). But then wanted a peddle drive. Got an Outback and to this day I think is the best all around size. But now I have the Pro Angler 14, heavy but as stable as a party barge. I'm 6-1 and 230# and have no problem standing and sight cast for fish. Once you go peddle you'll never go back.

i've peddled, i just can't afford to pedal haha

Ty - if I'm ever in your area, I'll look you up.
Boarider said:
If you are ever In South Louisiana, I got your back and will put you on mega fish.
I love what I do with a few pro staff spots (not that it matters). But I'd rather see a new guy catch a fish than I.
Open to anyone passing thru.

The Unpredictable life of a fisherman:

I waited until Bass season (3rd Saturday in NY) started before hitting the lakes again.  I eat the keepers that I land and Bass is the last to be legal to keep in N.Y.  Back in May, I had to toss one that would have been a keeper and saw many others do the same.

I got up early Saturday morning and travelled to my favorite lake.  I threw Senko’s and shiny spinners to target Bass and pickerel.  After an hour with no bites at all, I rented a boat in a nearby private lake and targeted Pickerel (Bass are strictly catch and release in this lake) for two and a half hours without getting any bites.  I also spent a little time worm and bobber fishing but had no bites.  I hit another lake and shore casted with Senkos, shiny spinners, and a bug lure for around an hour without any hits.  I then hit another lake where I’ve caught a variety of fish with worms but got no bites.

On Sunday morning, I spent four hours on a boat in a lake.  Again, I targeted Bass and with Senkos and shiny spinners.  I also brought out my trusty crankbait divers.   End to end, the lake is nearly 6 miles long with a number of side areas.  I hit many known good spots and also trolled with a 4 inch Rapala that’s given me good results in the past.  I also tried some worm and bobber fishing.  I had no bites at all.  I went back to my favorite lake and targeted Bass and Pickerel in a number of spots.  For the second day in a row, I was completely skunked with not a bite!

On the morning of day three, I returned to my favorite lake and again targeted Bass and Pickerel but gave up after an hour with no bites.  I then targeted Yellow Perch with a worm and a small bobber for a strike indicator.  The lake has some HUGE Yellow Perch.  I finally caught some fish, but not what I was looking for.  I ended up with eleven Pumpkinseed Sunfish and two Bluegill.  The colorings on the Sunfish and Bluegill are similar and the fish are sometimes hard to tell apart, but the Bluegill lack the strip of red on the opercular flap. Both are “good eatin,” with the Bluegill a bit tastier and richer.

I would have been more disappointed had others been catching lunkers, but none of the anglers I ran into were having much luck.  All weekend long, I only saw one decent size Largemouth and a big Pickerel on a stringer.  I was in the middle of a heat wave—very unusual for the mountains.  It was nearly 90 F every day and I wonder whether the high-temps slowed the bite.

The fifth from the left is a Bluegill; the rest are Pumpkinseed Sunfish:

Ica23mK.jpg

Pumpkinseed Sunfish:

AWXD9km.jpg

Bluegill:

DnIjss5.jpg

dragon49 said:
The Unpredictable life of a fisherman:

I waited until Bass season (3rd Saturday in NY) started before hitting the lakes again.  I eat the keepers that I land and Bass is the last to be legal to keep in N.Y.  Back in May, I had to toss one that would have been a keeper and saw many others do the same.

I got up early Saturday morning and travelled to my favorite lake.  I threw Senko’s and shiny spinners to target Bass and pickerel.  After an hour with no bites at all, I rented a boat in a nearby private lake and targeted Pickerel (Bass are strictly catch and release in this lake) for two and a half hours without getting any bites.  I also spent a little time worm and bobber fishing but had no bites.  I hit another lake and shore casted with Senkos, shiny spinners, and a bug lure for around an hour without any hits.  I then hit another lake where I’ve caught a variety of fish with worms but got no bites.

On Sunday morning, I spent four hours on a boat in a lake.  Again, I targeted Bass and with Senkos and shiny spinners.  I also brought out my trusty crankbait divers.   End to end, the lake is nearly 6 miles long with a number of side areas.  I hit many known good spots and also trolled with a 4 inch Rapala that’s given me good results in the past.  I also tried some worm and bobber fishing.  I had no bites at all.  I went back to my favorite lake and targeted Bass and Pickerel in a number of spots.  For the second day in a row, I was completely skunked with not a bite!

On the morning of day three, I returned to my favorite lake and again targeted Bass and Pickerel but gave up after an hour with no bites.  I then targeted Yellow Perch with a worm and a small bobber for a strike indicator.  The lake has some HUGE Yellow Perch.  I finally caught some fish, but not what I was looking for.  I ended up with eleven Pumpkinseed Sunfish and two Bluegill.  The colorings on the Sunfish and Bluegill are similar and the fish are sometimes hard to tell apart, but the Bluegill lack the strip of red on the opercular flap. Both are “good eatin,” with the Bluegill a bit tastier and richer.

I would have been more disappointed had others been catching lunkers, but none of the anglers I ran into were having much luck.  All weekend long, I only saw one decent size Largemouth and a big Pickerel on a stringer.  I was in the middle of a heat wave—very unusual for the mountains.  It was nearly 90 F every day and I wonder whether the high-temps slowed the bite.

The fifth from the left is a Bluegill; the rest are Pumpkinseed Sunfish:

Ica23mK.jpg

Pumpkinseed Sunfish:

AWXD9km.jpg

Bluegill:

DnIjss5.jpg

I could eat fresh bluegill every day.

My Uncle Kenny and pops started me on them when I was kid.

We bobbered and wormed for 'em.

They head and gutted 'em.

And fried 'em up.

Scales n' all.

I like this flick too.

And no scales.
Just watching it frying made my mouth water.

Have mercy.

Some saltwater fishing:

I was targeting Blowfish (technically "Northern Puffers") with squid on a double fluke rig.  I need to work on my touch as I only caught one.  It's hard to set the hook on a Blowfish as they take a series of tiny bites.  I also caught a Porgy and a Sea Robin.  I could have caught a lot more Sea Robins as they were schooling when I started to pack up, but I had family plans and had to leave.  These are generally considered trash fish and everybody else at the dock was tossing them back.  I don't get it—they fry up just fine.

9WialtT.jpg

JgoWXhJ.jpg

9dD250T.jpg

dragon49 said:
Some saltwater fishing:

I was targeting Blowfish (technically "Northern Puffers") with squid on a double fluke rig.  These are generally considered trash fish and everybody else at the dock was tossing them back.  I don't get it—they fry up just fine.

9WialtT.jpg

Those things are so freakin' delicious!!!  We cook them in beef fat.  It's hard to describe the taste of them, but it's kind of like a cross between (as I remember it from 20+ years) the chicken and fish at Long John Silver's.  Yeah, that' gross when you buy it at there.  But when you get that taste at home with a nice texture...  I'm salivating.

Puffer fish are one of my absolute favorites.  I use a long shank panfish hook, on a quadruple drop, baited with squid.  You just wait for them to swallow the hooks.  And they're real dumb, so when one bites, the others are clueless.

The fun part is cleaning them.  No bones, just a nice strip of cartilage down the middle.  And if you just cut behind the head, all the way through, you can stick your thumbs between the meat and the skin, and just turn that skin inside out, revealing a beautiful, drumstick size portion.  Snip the tail, and it's done...  

Back