• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors a fishing thread

[SIZE=12pt]I’m not the fisherman as most on this thread (make no such claim), but thought you guys might enjoy these video snippets nonetheless. The first one sets the stage for the others, so do watch in sequence.  It was filmed in Awendaw, SC at the parental home of my “special lady friend” of some ten plus years.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]They have a really nice spread there, very peaceful and a “pond” of nearly an acre. It is 10ft deep at the shallow end and 18-20ft at the deep end. It was stocked with Bream some years ago (some call them Sunfish) Red Breasts, Blue Gills, Crappie, and a few catfish.  On occasion when storms and flooding hit (they are stone’s throw from the ocean) they will get Blue crabs and some saltwater fish that somehow survive (after big storms and floods.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I enjoy feeding them and when the fancy strikes, we will fish for a fresh mess for dinner… I wish it were my place. Indeed, they have Foxes that visit frequently, Deer all the time and as the video shows the odd appearance of a Peacock that has yet to be explained…. Sometimes alligators creep in to eat the fish, but they are not allowed to stay…[/SIZE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdE4-rgAak8&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GNwPLTd6T0&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MYzt_rtcTM&feature=youtu.be

Awesome flicks Reggie.

I'd traumatize those little fishes with my Tenkara rod.

And that peacock.

My experience with them is this.

They are assholes.

But are prettier and with more personality than swans.

Which are huge assholes.

Just like geese.

But theres a good side.

Geese are great guard dogs!

solid7 said:

Those things are so freakin' delicious!!!  We cook them in beef fat.  It's hard to describe the taste of them, but it's kind of like a cross between (as I remember it from 20+ years) the chicken and fish at Long John Silver's.  Yeah, that' gross when you buy it at there.  But when you get that taste at home with a nice texture...  I'm salivating.
Puffer fish are one of my absolute favorites.  I use a long shank panfish hook, on a quadruple drop, baited with squid.  You just wait for them to swallow the hooks.  And they're real dumb, so when one bites, the others are clueless.

The fun part is cleaning them.  No bones, just a nice strip of cartilage down the middle.  And if you just cut behind the head, all the way through, you can stick your thumbs between the meat and the skin, and just turn that skin inside out, revealing a beautiful, drumstick size portion.  Snip the tail, and it's done...  

Beef Fat! - I've gotta try that.  I bread them and fry in butter or ghee.  They are one of the most delicious fish I've eaten!

I agree about their lack of intelligence.  I like my double rig, as I caught two at once last summer and have seen others do the same.

dragon49 said:

Beef Fat! - I've gotta try that.  I bread them and fry in butter or ghee.  They are one of the most delicious fish I've eaten!

I agree about their lack of intelligence.  I like my double rig, as I caught two at once last summer and have seen others do the same.

It's kinda hard to find beef tallow in a lot of areas, these days.  I usually have to request that the local butcher save it for me.  They throw it away.

Basically, I just get the fat trimmings, remove the any leftover red meat, and then put it in the crockpot (or instant pot) with some water, and just slow (or pressure) cook it to render the fat.  Then, let it cool, and skim the cap off the top.

Beef fat is great, because it doesn't putrify.  It has WAY better shelf life than any fruit, nut, or vegetable based oil.  And as long as you get all the meat out, no real taste.  But damn does it do some fish...

lobster mini season. first time limiting out ever, let alone for 3 people (12 per person, x3 = 36). We had 3 licenses but i probably caught 25 of them

1rDet5u.jpg

jXDL4P5.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
Shouldn't they be in water?
Ice water maybe but....

Negative.

Butterflied on the grill.

With lemon and butter.

Or butterflied and the meat pulled out.

And sauteed like you like to be liking.

Make a lobster reuben.

Or deep fried.

Make a lobster taco.

Or toss it in mac n' cheese.

Cut lime wedges.

Pour tequila shots.

Date night.

The Hot Pepper said:
i mean to keep alive

ideally, yes. but i don't own a fish tank and can't eat 12 lobsters in 1 night. it's perfectly fine to take off the tail, devein them and refrigerate or freeze. the meat isn't affected that much honestly

dragon49 said:
The Unpredictable life of a fisherman:

I waited until Bass season (3rd Saturday in NY) started before hitting the lakes again.  I eat the keepers that I land and Bass is the last to be legal to keep in N.Y.  Back in May, I had to toss one that would have been a keeper and saw many others do the same.

I got up early Saturday morning and travelled to my favorite lake.  I threw Senkos and shiny spinners to target Bass and pickerel.  After an hour with no bites at all, I rented a boat in a nearby private lake and targeted Pickerel (Bass are strictly catch and release in this lake) for two and a half hours without getting any bites.  I also spent a little time worm and bobber fishing but had no bites.  I hit another lake and shore casted with Senkos, shiny spinners, and a bug lure for around an hour without any hits.  I then hit another lake where Ive caught a variety of fish with worms but got no bites.

On Sunday morning, I spent four hours on a boat in a lake.  Again, I targeted Bass and with Senkos and shiny spinners.  I also brought out my trusty crankbait divers.   End to end, the lake is nearly 6 miles long with a number of side areas.  I hit many known good spots and also trolled with a 4 inch Rapala thats given me good results in the past.  I also tried some worm and bobber fishing.  I had no bites at all.  I went back to my favorite lake and targeted Bass and Pickerel in a number of spots.  For the second day in a row, I was completely skunked with not a bite!

On the morning of day three, I returned to my favorite lake and again targeted Bass and Pickerel but gave up after an hour with no bites.  I then targeted Yellow Perch with a worm and a small bobber for a strike indicator.  The lake has some HUGE Yellow Perch.  I finally caught some fish, but not what I was looking for.  I ended up with eleven Pumpkinseed Sunfish and two Bluegill.  The colorings on the Sunfish and Bluegill are similar and the fish are sometimes hard to tell apart, but the Bluegill lack the strip of red on the opercular flap. Both are good eatin, with the Bluegill a bit tastier and richer.

I would have been more disappointed had others been catching lunkers, but none of the anglers I ran into were having much luck.  All weekend long, I only saw one decent size Largemouth and a big Pickerel on a stringer.  I was in the middle of a heat wavevery unusual for the mountains.  It was nearly 90 F every day and I wonder whether the high-temps slowed the bite.

The fifth from the left is a Bluegill; the rest are Pumpkinseed Sunfish:

Ica23mK.jpg

Pumpkinseed Sunfish:

AWXD9km.jpg

Bluegill:

DnIjss5.jpg

I would eat those over bass any day

My un-fishing comment. Went to Cape May and got skunked. Two small sand sharks. But everyone else around was getting mostly skunked, too. Just surf-fishing that is. No one that I saw caught anything worth keeping from shore. 

ako1974 said:
My un-fishing comment. Went to Cape May and got skunked. Two small sand sharks. But everyone else around was getting mostly skunked, too. Just surf-fishing that is. No one that I saw caught anything worth keeping from shore. 

Not unfishing at all.

You went fishing.

And got skunked.

Other than having sex....

That was still a better day than 99.99% of the folk's day that don't go fishing.

Back